Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CNI Group Buy #2 (taken over by styropyro 10-26)

Having seen the work you did on the 671 I'd happily pay you the same as I'd pay CNI for a 589nm laser. As I'm one of these poor souls who loves anything electronic but desperately struggles to grasp it (as I can't "get" math), I think someone building a diode laser is special let alone someone who can actually "do" DPSS.

I swear I will build a laser one day but it's going to be hard as numbers mess with my head.

Last edited:

If people wanna foot for parts or a module I'll do it, but I don't see that happening...it's just too expensive for most people, assuming you could even source the crystals, they'd be hundreds each + coatings, + corrective optics + copper mounts + an OC & IR filter + several special lenses just for 589... It's not cheap.... Haven't even talked about a host yet....

In short, it's do-able but for most people, not too practical. Though I have re-built a GLP lately to above spec...but that makes it hot quickly, and it chews through batteries fast.

Plenty of people around here manage to pay CNI for 589s... I was just saying that if it did come down to you building 589s around here you could consider me a probable future customer as I've seen your work on DPSS already.

As 589s cost so much anyone in the market for one likely already knows what they want and why. I can see it being tenable as long as you can make it happen for a reasonable price, by reasonable I mean not worlds apart from market value.

In essence, I was trying to be nice :p

Last edited:
Absolutely. Just saying it'll still be pretty pricy no matter how you look at it, especially if you want all the correct coatings.

Yea crystals are gonna cost a shat ton. Last i talked to CNI, JUST the first crystal in both 589 and 593.5 were 800$. Red Optotronics might be able to do it, but they have never responded to my emails.

I just tend to find individual components always seem to cost more, so it's not practical unless you're buying in bulk.

i'd consider if it ended up costing around (or slightly above) the price proposed for this GB, but if parts are more expensive and it goes above $1000 it's just way too much... guess I'll never fill that gap in my collection :/

Well kaiser, you could probably get a bulk price on just the crystals...i imagine getting the 150mW+ out of that CNI can would be a task and a half though

not really. just need enough pump power. problem is the inefficiency. always was....

more power= more heat, but due to the massive inefficiency, you need lots of power to get that. for about every additional watt you add tons more heat to the same tiny space, making cooling quite a challenge. the 300mW at the lab downtown has a HUGE heatsink underneath, with a fan running through it if I recall, and a couple TECs inside, that are thermally regulated. probably like a $15K laser system....its bright as hell too. you'd need 4-5 Watts at least and a perfect alignment to achieve something that high that was stable.

I'm working on one of those famous 589 modules now...you wouldn't believe how hot it gets, even with the cover removed. it wants to burn my fingers after about 30 seconds or so. definitely shouldn't run it beyond about 45 seconds. every time I touch a mount, I can hear sizzling, quite literally, as the heat burns the sweat off my fingers against the copper.

Last edited:

IsaacT

Holy shit! What are you doing with it? Just trying to improve the alignment?

yeah. It was like the 671, only shadowed vertically and slightly to the left, its got major corrections though, the coupler is boosted by several washers, its WAY off, I've gotten some good stuff out of it, but it always ends up with at least a single shadow off to the side, so I'm getting a single reflection somewhere in the cavity, perhaps one of the crystal surfaces is not perfectly parallel....

Last edited:

IsaacT

The reflections are the biggest annoyances for me. I don't mind a less than spectacular dot, but a clean beam is what I desire.

indeed, problem is with a setup like this, you rarely can have one without the other. either its clean, or its a mess. I prefer a clean beam myself.

All this talk makes me drool :D

OT: This cni thing going on is really a let down :(
Bye bye 593.2 handheld... and 561nm pgl 3C, Bummer :cryyy: