Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

** catched by police yesterday night **

stopid cops.
How did you get the laser back?
in the netherlands laser sales are banned, but owning them is not yes illigal.

and like Dawinzi said: were the batteries still working like they did when you gave it to them?

I am also glad to hear you got your laser back :) I was following this story for a few days to see the outcome & I am glad it is a good one (cept the 150€ of course).

You said you'll probably never take this laser outside again... I hope that's not the case for long. You shouldn't be scorned after this incident & be afraid to lase outside anymore - but I certainly understand your hesitation with doing so. I think (as you said) you should just bring the paperwork with you if you do go out again in case another cop questions you.

Also, just to be sure - it might be worth calling that lady at the police station again & asking her what your limitations are with bringing this laser outside and using it. We both pretty much know what she's going to tell you, but I think hearing whatever she has to say would be helpful.... You could get her name & keep it with the paperwork too. Again if any cops ever approach you about using your laser, you can politely explain to them that you've talked with (lady's name) at the station & you also have papers from the police to use this properly and safely.

It might not save your situation entirely, but because you've already dealt with the law about what your doing they may give you an easy break. Congrats again on getting the greenie back :)

To 00Giorge

Can we forget this sad story? FRIENDS ???

Sure, It's all good! :beer:

Just to clarify my thinking when I call BS it doesn't mean I am calling them a liar, it just means that I am not sure weather I believe it or part of it might be true and part might not.

I have said my peace and that is the end of it, everything is good I am getting to old to let little things bother me.

@Laserburns I am glad to see you got your laser back! The fine sucks.

Last edited:
Move to a country where you may have rights that may be there for a little longer (maybe). Sadly, this type of bullshit is not far from happening here in the US. Ugh...

^^ Many lasers have been taken in the US for misuse and/or illegal importation already - or in Laserburns' case... misfortune and bad luck. This isn't anything the US is unaware of unfortunately.

Last edited:

Just to clarify my thinking when I call BS it doesn't mean I am calling them a liar, it just means that I am not sure weather I believe it or part of it might be true and part might not.

I have said my peace and that is the end of it, everything is good I am getting to old to let little things bother me.

I am happy we could bury the hatchet !!!

ixfd64

As i've said ..... get a "cheapo" one from DX or Priceangels or somewhere similar, that may push out 70/90mW, and pot-mot it for the maximum emission, so the beam is very visible (after all, you don't need to use it, til someone ask you to show it, so who care if is potmodded and short life ?) ..... ok. still a loss, but always better than the "real" one ;)

Also, try to mod it for make it look as the "real" one ..... as example, get one long almost the same and with the same color, and if the "real" one have a led on the side, place a led also on the "decoy" (if they see it in distance and notice that it have a light on the side, showing them another without a light is almost as to ask for troubles ..... after all, not all them are stupids ;)), and so on ..... you don't need to make them look exactly identical, only that they can be confused when someone see the "real" one in distance and they approach for ask you.

I've thought of this before. I think it's a great idea!

Benm

This is a very strange story really.

Since the laser was returned to you, i assume owning the device in your country is legal. But i wonder what the exact crime was that resulted in a 150 euro fine. I'm not sure about the legal system over there, but here (.nl) every fine has a reference to the acticle number in the book of law that was violated.

It might be worthwhile to investigate this: It could be a very generic violation (distrubing the public peace), or something like 'endangering others', but perhaps there is a more specific reference that has something to do with lasers.

Personally i would not have accepted the fine and have it taken to court. If you still have time to appeal to this fine i'd consider doing so. In most european countries the demand by the DA will not be much higher than the initial fine, and at least you get a proper judge to look at what crime you have comitted, if any.

This is a very strange story really.

Since the laser was returned to you, i assume owning the device in your country is legal. But i wonder what the exact crime was that resulted in a 150 euro fine. I'm not sure about the legal system over there, but here (.nl) every fine has a reference to the acticle number in the book of law that was violated.

It might be worthwhile to investigate this: It could be a very generic violation (distrubing the public peace), or something like 'endangering others', but perhaps there is a more specific reference that has something to do with lasers.

Personally i would not have accepted the fine and have it taken to court. If you still have time to appeal to this fine i'd consider doing so. In most european countries the demand by the DA will not be much higher than the initial fine, and at least you get a proper judge to look at what crime you have comitted, if any.

Italie, Berlusconi, Mafia. What kind of Law are you talking about, haha :)

Why would someone lie about a story of that...whats the profit, whats the fun?

Why would someone lie about a story of that...whats the profit, whats the fun?

Why do people fake their own deaths on the internet? Why do people fake getting hit in the eye with 1W 445's?

There are plenty of people out there that will make up crap to just get themselves attention.

Benm

I don't believe this thread is a troll, it seems like a feasible story as far as i am concerned. I am just curious what crime lb was fined for.

I believe it is important to gain jurisprudence in these cases: for example, why would it be legal to point out a star with a flashlight, but not with a laser? And at what point is it it a crime? Is there a specific number not to be exceeded in terms of optical power output, divergence, beam diameter, power density?

The only way to get some information on this is to try cases in court, instead of accepting financial settlements.

For example, shining a powerful laser into the sky, ensuring there are no aircraft present as far as you are able: why should this be an offense? Does it endanger anyone or anything, or is it a public nuisance? I do this all the time, but i don't see any police knocking on my door, despite it would be very easy for anyone to determine the source of the beam by just looking at it.

I believe trying these cases in court can help vindicate laser users in general. To clarify things: I am referring to just shining a laser beam into the sky, not at aircraft, people, vehicles or anything else that could be adversely affected. The only thing i can think of is that it could be considered light pollution, but i doubt it would be excessive compared to streetlights or aircraft marking lights that show up all the time.

It would be a very good thing to establish in court that just shining lasers around is not a crime as long as noone is actually endangered.

anselm

I do this all the time, but i don't see any police knocking on my door, despite it would be very easy for anyone to determine the source of the beam by just looking at it.
Don't forget this is IT we're talking about.

ixfd64

You said you'll probably never take this laser outside again... I hope that's not the case for long. You shouldn't be scorned after this incident & be afraid to lase outside anymore - but I certainly understand your hesitation with doing so. I think (as you said) you should just bring the paperwork with you if you do go out again in case another cop questions you.

After my encounter with that "FBI agent" last year, my father was like, "Don't you ever take that thing out in public again!!"

I still do, although I'm a lot more careful now.