Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Camera Flash Death Ray

HIMNL9

It is possible to put an NdYag rod into that flash but you still need optics to produce a beam. Also, a Xenon flash tube produces output, some of which does not pump the rod. A cavity coated with Barium oxide helps convert some of the light into useable pumping wavelength. The current density in the tube also affects the wavelengths produced. It is more complicated than flashing a light at the rod.

HMike

LOL, i know ..... mine was a joke, sorry ;)

TTerbo

dang. i had two of thos things but i used em for a capacitor bank

Things

The built in flash in my Canon Powershot A640 can burn stuff. Put something over the lens of the cam so it thinks it's dark, and it'll ramp up the flash power to max.

I used the label from a Coke Zero bottle, because it's black, and cut it up into little strips. Place them over the flash, fire the camera, and *CLICK*, the little piece of plastic shrivels into a little ball, flies about 10cm into the air followed by a puff of smoke. It's quite fun :D

HIMNL9

Careful, with these experiments ..... the more power you pump in the lamp, the less time it survive .....

Ugh. That video makes me cringe - great way to ruin a 580exII. I made a post recently about photodarkening, and how it can be accelerated, and then it tends to happen quickly and catastrophically.

This guy is doing that with this flash.

In thrift stores you can find old Sunpak Auto 444D and Auto 422D flashes that are not QUITE as bright as the 580exII but close enough to do what he's showing.

I had one (I believe it was a 444D) that I got at a pawn shop for maybe $20, and it would blacken thermal paper, burn print (generally after two strobes versus just the one he did here) and melt plastic. But after a while it did start to burn its own lens from doing this too much.

So you don't have to spend a lot and ruin a really expensive AF/digital/wireles flash like the 580ex.

So do you need a lens for this project, I think I might know where to get one :whistle:
97rvom.jpg

Here is what I'm thinking.

Parabola.png

If it can burn paper while it's unfocused it should punch a hole in it if it is somehow focused to a small point.

-Tony