Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

C-Mount Red Mag Stubby Build...

It brought back that feeling of 'new discovery' in building again. :cool:

I just love that feeling !! Its what every laser hobbyist should experience, at least once.....
:thanks: for doing those kits. I'll buy one someday, when I have the $$$$......

I still have the aurora and solar force L2P I got from you. 100% kicking!! ;)

Good sellin' Jay

Great work as always!

I'm curious about the brightness of the beam. Is it brighter than a 638nm mits at around 500mW?

Also what's the duty cycle at 2W?

MMmmmmmm !! A perfect, Compact, Ergronomic Smart ( Side I/O) for the C-Mount 650 Red Devil:eg::eg::eg:

Most impressive !!! The LPF community should reward your inspiration and innovation.

See the pic....For those of you...lucky enough to know who..."Lurch" was !!!

CDBEAM=======>

Attachments

• lurch neat sweet petite 2.jpg
    lurch neat sweet petite 2.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 228

jayrob

MMmmmmmm !! A perfect, Compact, Ergronomic Smart ( Side I/O) for the C-Mount 650 Red Devil:eg::eg::eg:

Most impressive !!! The LPF community should reward your inspiration and innovation.

See the pic....For those of you...lucky enough to know who..."Lurch" was !!!

CDBEAM=======>

Ha ha! :crackup:

I like that...

:thanks:

Great work as always!

I'm curious about the brightness of the beam. Is it brighter than a 638nm mits at around 500mW?

Also what's the duty cycle at 2W?

Good question...

I just added some beam shot comparisons with my 600mW Mitsubishi 638 build to the bottom of the fist post... :cool:

About duty. I'm one of those guys who developed a habit of always using a conservative duty with all my lasers.

One thing I can tell you is that the diode is rock solid and does not drop in output like a 445.

That said, I did not test over 1 minute at 2 Watts. But with a 445, you can almost immediately notice how heat sensitive the diode is...

Last edited:
While the 650 nm line has somewhat less relative luminosity than the 640 nm line...the raw power of the c-mount has the advantage.

See Luminosity function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Based upon the reference charts...a 5W 650nm beam has the same brightness as a 3.06W at 640nm.

But...all this also depends greatly upon beam density....which is a function of divergence....the more divergent....the less percieved luminosity. And...it seems as though the C-Mount is less divergent.

Also...IMNSHO...the 650 nm colour....is superior !!!....but....that is my opinion....

CDBEAM=======>

Last edited:
Hum, interesting... I was under the impression that the FAC correction cause the beam to exit the lens as a square but from those beamshots it looks like it exists as a line, just like the mits. Do you mind posting some dot comparison pictures at various distances (say 10cm, 10m and 100m) as well?

Thanks!

jayrob

Hum, interesting... I was under the impression that the FAC correction cause the beam to exit the lens as a square but from those beamshots it looks like it exists as a line, just like the mits. Do you mind posting some dot comparison pictures at various distances (say 10cm, 10m and 100m) as well?

Thanks!

Angelos showed dot's here in this post showing the 'just about square' dot:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/testing-new-650nm-660nm-5w-diode-82919.html#post1194069

Yes it does come out similar to the Mitsubishi at aperture, but then it ends up almost square. With a very nice beam and no where near the divergence as the Mitsubishi...

Notice the divergence difference in this picture:

C-Mount%20Red%2013.jpg

Last edited:

IsaacT

Okay I am going to need to delete more posts after this but I have to say this is a work of art. If my build turns out to be even close to this sexy I will be ecstatic! I cannot wait for Ehgemus to finish the host :D

Red lasers are so hard to accurately capture on camera, good job on those pics!

-Isaac

jayrob

Okay I am going to need to delete more posts after this but I have to say this is a work of art. If my build turns out to be even close to this sexy I will be ecstatic! I cannot wait for Ehgemus to finish the host :D

Red lasers are so hard to accurately capture on camera, good job on those pics!

-Isaac

Ehgemus host = win...

Making it focusable was the tricky part. Glad you like it! :beer:

jayrob,

mmmmmmmmmmm tasty! :angel: (you)

I can feel your anticipation... :D

Rest assured, I'll be getting to your kit soon, and I will make sure it is perfect for you! :)

Last edited:

Trevor

Ever since I joined I've liked reading through your build threads... this one is especially awesome!

+1 :beer:

Trevor

jayrob

Ever since I joined I've liked reading through your build threads... this one is especially awesome!

+1 :beer:

Trevor

Thanks man! Glad you like it... :beer:

It was a particularly enjoyable build for me too.

Lot of work, but worth the effort... :cool:

Angelos showed dot's here in this post showing the 'just about square' dot:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/testing-new-650nm-660nm-5w-diode-82919.html#post1194069

Yes it does come out similar to the Mitsubishi at aperture, but then it ends up almost square. With a very nice beam and no where near the divergence as the Mitsubishi...

Notice the divergence difference in this picture:

C-Mount%20Red%2013.jpg

Cool, that post's nice! Can you also take a long distance (100m+) dot comparison shot side by side with the mits if it isn't too much trouble?

jayrob

Cool, that post's nice! Can you also take a long distance (100m+) dot comparison shot side by side with the mits if it isn't too much trouble?

100 meters?

Sorry man I just don't have that kind of room where I'm at...

But here's a comparison shot at 75': (you can see the difference in beam quality)

C-Mount%20Red%2018.jpg

I think it has a really nice beam... :cool:

WOW Jay. :bowdown:

What an Amazing Job on this build.:wave:

:drool:

Everything turned out so perfect and those beam shots are amazing.:cool:

You always have the cleanest beam shots. I love it.!!!!!!:eg:

You can really see the big difference what i was saying on how much tighter the beam is and more "Rounder/square" it is then the P73 that is a Line.

You know how you know when Jay really enjoys a build and it brings back the old days for him.?:p

Take a Look at his beam shots.. Then go back 3-4 years and look at his old days when he did similar beam shots with 405nm 8x and 12x builds and was just as excited.:D Ive know Jay for like 5 years now PLUS and i can tell Jay is really loving this build.:wave:

Iam glad you like these diodes and happy with how your build turned out.. It fits this diode perfect.

Great Job jay keep up the great work.:beer:

Very nice comparison shot on the 638nm P73 and this FAC C-Mount 650nm diode. You can see how much better the 650nm diode is in beam quality.

Well done.:drool:

Justice was served.! Viewing this thread makes me want to finish my personal one.:p

Last edited:

jayrob

WOW Jay. :bowdown:

What an Amazing Job on this build.:wave:

:drool:

Everything turned out so perfect and those beam shots are amazing.:cool:

You always have the cleanest beam shots. I love it.!!!!!!:eg:

You can really see the big difference what i was saying on how much tighter the beam is and more "Rounder/square" it is then the P73 that is a Line.

You know how you know when Jay really enjoys a build and it brings back the old days for him.?:p

Take a Look at his beam shots.. Then go back 3-4 years and look at his old days when he did similar beam shots with 405nm 8x and 12x builds and was just as excited.:D Ive know Jay for like 5 years now PLUS and i can tell Jay is really loving this build.:wave:

Iam glad you like these diodes and happy with how your build turned out.. It fits this diode perfect.

Great Job jay keep up the great work.:beer:

Very nice comparison shot on the 638nm P73 and this FAC C-Mount 650nm diode. You can see how much better the 650nm diode is in beam quality.

Well done.:drool:

Justice was served.! Viewing this thread makes me want to finish my personal one.:p

There he is finally chiming in... (busy guy)

Angelos (as you know), this diode is amazing! You are the man for finding it... :beer:

And then also sourcing and testing a good lens for it.

Plus all the testing you showed, and even how to assemble a C-Mount build, etc...

Yes you are correct. I love this diode and build! :D

+rep when the system allows me to give you more...

Hat's off to you! :thanks:

Last edited: