Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Browser hijacker - redirect "virus"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a "virus" that if you go to Google and search and click on a link you are redirected to another site. Over and over.

I have been getting this regularly for the last few months. If you catch it quick you can get rid of it using system restore to an earlier time.
The main computer I use here I don't visit many sites.
I am fairly sure it is being picked up from a web site.
After several times I have been suspicious that it could be coming from here.
I just got it again.

For the last week the only sites I have been on (on this computer) are places like Google, Yahoo, my bank, etc.
I don't believe I would pick up anything from these type of sites.
The ONLY other place is THIS SITE. I am not and can not say it is coming from here but it sure is kind of odd.
I am curious if any one else has had this problem?

jimdt7

Happens to me almost everyday. :thinking:
Any other solution except from system restore?

Jim

Last edited:
All the virus progams are pretty much useless. They won't find it or stop it.
Its been around for awhile.
I got lucky with the system restore. Don't know any other way.
You would think either Microsoft or Google would try to do something about it.
It's their browser and search service and they have the people that should know whats going on.

malwarebytes.org - has a free DL/install that prevents browser hijacking and should remove any infections you might have. If you dont have this & want to try it, your best bet is to download & install the freeware - then reboot your system in safe mode (pressing F8 on the splash screen on bootup) and run the scan in safe mode.

I just removed the FBI 'moneypak' malware from my parents' hijacked computer using this method and I understand this problem has been a difficult one to fix. I hope some of this helps ;)

One of my points for bringing this up is that I have a strong suspicion that somehow it is coming from this site.
Pictures? Ads? Clicking links? Don't know.

I highly doubt that LPF itself is infected.

Most likely this is being caused by one of the banner ads loading.

I haven't experienced any problems. Using malwarebytes, avast, and adblock plus.

I highly doubt that LPF itself is infected.

Most likely this is being caused by one of the banner ads loading.

I haven't experienced any problems. Using malwarebytes, avast, and adblock plus.
Yeah, The only way it'd happen would be through adds. I'd suggest install an adblocker on your browser like adblockplus, so you can block out all the adds and install something like comodo firewall. You should fine from then on.

I know a couple of people that have had this for a long time. They have tried pretty much everything available to get rid of it. Everything mentioned and more.
No luck.
Next time I get it I will try Malwarebytes to see if it finds it.

Things

Avery said he ad trying a new add network. I haven't had this problem yet, but i know some of the ads play audio, which is kind of irritating :(

Most recently when i get here on this forum, the page keeps refreshing itself over and over again...

Olmost like someone is hitting F5 really fast.. but even faster then that.. with white screens in between.

I should shoot a video about it..

Last edited:

Onryo

Onryo

Actually even OSX can be affected with DNS sploits. Not sure whats up this week but a while back it was things like OSX_JAHLAV .You would have to take a look at the daily exploits to get the full skinny. Exploits Database by Offensive Security .Heck even packet storm still has good info. But yes OSX prolly will be safer then your typical Windows computer. After all it is more or less BSD with a pimped up UI. Just wish they would use proc :)

Last edited:
Oh Shit. I have the bug now. Going to try the above program.

Edit: The malwarebytes seems to work so far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.