Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Break glass from long distance with laserpoint

That's like a blade to cut water. It just passes through it, unless you want to get into some ridiculous science experiment to get it to work.

ice-sculpting.jpg

FREEZE the water. How's that for a "crazy science experiment" :na:

What it frozen water called again. Oh yeah ice NOT WATER lol I was waiting for that though. Well played sir lol.

Portable CO2's have been made.

Here's one in action with a red HeNe guide laser. At UKLEM '08

The guide laser can be clearly seen under the big tube. It looks more like a plain old AixiZ
module than HeNe. Though I must admit that I am intrigued by the idea of a HeNe that fits
inside an AixiZ module, or would be if such a thing existed.

Last edited:

Pman

Understand len;)

Thanks for the video lesson Bloom.

Has anyone messed around much with laser through ice?

Would like to get my hands on (well maybe not literally) some dry ice to mess with.....

That sounds like an interesting experiment. I've never done lasers through ice, but have done through fire. The beam jumps around and changes shape due to the hot gases acting as a lens.

Before I was familiar with absorption properties, I tried "burning" ice with an 8X pointer. Few years ago.

Didn't work.

Though I would be interested in seeing CO2's effect with ice. CO2 lasers are used specifically in dermatology as it reacts so violently to the water in your skin. Could only imagine what interesting effects would come from pointing it at a large chunk of ice.

Things

Focusing a CO2 laser into water is kinda neat, the water vaporizes so quickly that it basically sputters the water everywhere.