Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Biggest scam I've ever seen!

rhd

I get your point too, but if you research the specs (of this laser) you can see its probably not really 6W output too (I mean - we all figured it out).

I bet you this laser has an IR diode of near that 6W point in it and will probably do 750mW output. I might not have said that a month ago - but having just paid $126 for a "300mW" green from DinoDirect, that turned out to give me 400mW of 532 with no IR, I'm starting to think something might be on the upswing in china. Whether this is it or not, no clue - but I don't see why it's not possible that this really an IR diode, being fed 6W from battery power, pumping the crystal with maybe 3W optical output, giving us somewhere around 500mW or more of output.

And IF that's the case - if this is a 6W IR diode - then I don't think the seller is in fraud territory, but rather just "typical Chinese unclarity" territory.

And to whomever suggested that an 18650 couldn't supply 6W of power output on it's own.... how much wattage do you think is used in our 445s running at 1.4 A... ?

Last edited:

And to whomever suggested that an 18650 couldn't supply 6W of power output on it's own.... how much wattage do you think is used in our 445s running at 1.4 A... ?

I believe its between 3-5A. Which is pretty close to the maximum of a single quality 18650.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. He doesnt say its the IR diode, so I cant see how this is not deceptive.

I'd be surprised if it reached 6W input power.

A 6W pump would need more current than a single 18650 could supply.

rhd

1.5A x 4.5V is 6.75W

Regardless though - I think we're talking about different things, and it's a silly debate for us to have.

My point is that I don't think this is fraud any more than the 5W flashlights are fraud. Id' feel differently if this guys said that there'd be 6W of 532, but he didn't. Because we know better, it seems like that mistake could ONLY BE FRAUD. But that's because we understand this stuff well enough that if we were advertising something like that, it WOULD have to be fraud.

The same way that if someone over on CPF listed a torch at 900 lumens since that's what the emitter was potentially rated for - or as 5W because that was what the battery supplied. In those scenarios - fraud - because you expect them to know better. But some chinese seller who just lists it the way he gets it? Maybe that's dumb... maybe he doesn't know much about lasers... but "fraud" is a very loaded term that implies a very intentional, very illegal, action. Stupidity or lack of knowledge DOES NOT equal fraud.

I just get a bit irked when people use some of these terms interchangeably. I think we need to be careful about when we point which fingers.

FWIW - I definitely don't believe this is 6W of 532... and even 6W of IR would be pushing it. Though for $900, he could certainly afford a 6W IR diode many times over.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree :)

rhd

I'd be surprised if it reached 6W input power.

A 6W pump would need more current than a single 18650 could supply.

Those diodes are what - like 2.5V ?
So you'd need about 3A to total 6W input power into the diode (assuming average/ok efficiency of the driveR)

I've got a lot of 18650s that are fine with 3A.

To be honest... it may not be self-evident to him.

There could be a 6W C-Mount IR diode in it. (They're out there - ebay has 5W ones for about $135).

His listing doesn't say that there's 6W of 532nm. Before you jump all over me and say that it's implied - it's really not. Lots of flashlights are rated in watts. "5W LED" flashlights don't mean you get 5W output.

Of course - this is a totally absurd and foreign way of looking at things for us. I'm by no means suggesting that the interpretation I outline above makes sense or is "correct". But it is at least reasonable, and should take this out of the realm of "fraud" (which is an intense accusation). I think that if you look at his actual auction listing page, it's especially clear in his case that the 6W could mean power consumption, IR consumption, IR output.

Seriously - before jumping all over me for this comment (I can feel it coming) at least take a look at his listing and nit pick it apart. He basically just says "Green laser Pointer 6W". In fact, I don't think he even uses the term "532nm" anywhere. So perhaps his auction more than most, really could be justified on the basis of the wattage rating not necessarily being intentionally misleading...

That was more than two cents. Sorry for the ramble.

Yes he implies 532nm.... he says it is GREEN.... It is implied to any noob..

And "Green laser Pointer 6W" CLEARLY implies a 6W Green Laser Pointer and that is what the average buyer will expect...
Whether the Drop shipper has control over his supplier and the Laser
is actually a 6W output laser is anyone's guess...
My guess is.... NO WAY !!!!

Jerry

rhd

And "Green laser Pointer 6W" CLEARLY implies a 6W Green Laser Pointer and that is what the average buyer will expect...y

Argh.... I've got "Light Bulb 60W" in a box under my sink right now. That implies what... 60W Light Bulb, right? I should expect 60W of light out of that thing. If not, it's fraud... ?

Why is everything always "FRAUD" I'd see people complaining because their "300mW" chinese pointers LPMd at 150mW, and suddenly FRAUD! It's always "fraud", its never "Oh, those guys don't know what the heck they're selling, they just pass it along as labelled". It's certainly never "Well, maybe they made a mistake".

Nope, just "FRAUD", always fraud.... :(

Toke

Part of the fraud thing is the news value.
5W flash lights with a battery that gives off 1W is kind of old.
That <150mW lasers are a lot less is known to us too.

The 6W handheld is so far out that it is hard to excuse by ignorance or "grandfathering in".

There is also the difference of one individual scamming versus a whole industry doing it.
Think of cellphone/mobile bandwidths, their "Up to" is legit, but you can somehow not apply the same to the bill.

@rhd

Absence of intent in committing a crime is a mitigating factor in punishment for the crime, but it doesn't negate the end result to the victim of said crime.

The message field to ebay is quite small :eek: so I went with what I know will receive quick attention. Bottom line, it's a bad listing, and should be removed.

It may be hard to prove any kind of "fraud" on that listing. Yes, we know that 6W is ludicrous, but from some schmuck behind the desk reading the reports at eBay? The seller could even claim that his source is citing 6W, and that he's just selling what the label says. What you could do is buy it, find out it's some shitty 32mW POS and then file a claim that the product was grossly misrepresented and Paypal will probably just outright refund your money.

Toke

What are the chances it will arrive within paypals 45 days of payment?

To get it off of eBay you need to report it as a Banned by eBay item.

Since the Report character count is low... Something like this...

This is clearly a 6000mW dangerous Laser & greater than 5mW
Lasers are banned on eBay.

This will have more effect than "It's bad. It should be removed"

Fraud would need to be proven... you can't say it's not 6W
without testing it... You can assume it's not 6W...

Reporting a banned item does not require proof when his own
listing title proves he is selling a banned item.

Jerry

blrock

Gee, @ 25% efficiency you'd need 24W of 808nm. Typically a bar type. Don't think that'll fit nicely into a hand held pointer. Gosh this guy must be selling something he knows nothing about.

It seems the seller may be reading these posts...
Both of those items have been removed...:cool:

Jerry

Last edited: