Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Biggest scam I've ever seen!

Dear lessardyz,
I have an LPM - will these meter at 6W for real?
- rhd

Dear rhd-,
YESS it is :)
- lessardyz

bgbp81.jpg

Toke

I have send him a question on how the scam plays out when/if a customer can tell 6W from up to 0.6W, particularly what plans he have for hiding the money.

I wonder if the question will come up on the item without his approval?

rhd

What did you report him for? He hasn't broken any eBay policies, or rules, or even laws (yet). Until you actually buy one that isn't as advertised, you don't have anything to "report" him for.

Toke

I reported him for fraud, with something like "no way that is 6W".
Perhaps some elaboration would have been in order, it may not be self-evident to an ebay office dweller?

JLSE

NEVER buy flash drives from china on ebay... The big scam not too long ago
was people taking a 2gig drive, changing the properties and your PC would
see it as a 8gig etc..

If you try to write more than the 2g it just fills with errors.. These pricks can
be quite crafty...

It still happens and goes back a few years for this particular scam..

Don't fall for the Flash Drive Scam!

I fell for this one... lost 20$ :gun:

One scam I just about got suckered into yesterday is for usb flash drives
There are a few sellers right now that are selling 4-128gb thumb drives but none of them have feedback for the drives, it's all for $1.99 cell phone batteries that are the same for every one of them (they bought and sold to each of their own accounts to get 100% positive feedback).
I almost bought 3 128Gb thumb drives for ~$35.77 (I think that was the price) but then saw what was going on (I had a few tabs open).
Think of the coin they are raking in, it is a hell of a deal so I was going to get 3, it takes at least a month before people wise up to the scam and start filing disputes and they can have all of the money gone by that point (loophole scam).
I hate these scam artists and would personally make them eat a bullet for taking the money of the innocent (well, maybe not "innocent" :whistle: )

rhd

To be honest... it may not be self-evident to him.

There could be a 6W C-Mount IR diode in it. (They're out there - ebay has 5W ones for about $135).

His listing doesn't say that there's 6W of 532nm. Before you jump all over me and say that it's implied - it's really not. Lots of flashlights are rated in watts. "5W LED" flashlights don't mean you get 5W output.

Of course - this is a totally absurd and foreign way of looking at things for us. I'm by no means suggesting that the interpretation I outline above makes sense or is "correct". But it is at least reasonable, and should take this out of the realm of "fraud" (which is an intense accusation). I think that if you look at his actual auction listing page, it's especially clear in his case that the 6W could mean power consumption, IR consumption, IR output.

Seriously - before jumping all over me for this comment (I can feel it coming) at least take a look at his listing and nit pick it apart. He basically just says "Green laser Pointer 6W". In fact, I don't think he even uses the term "532nm" anywhere. So perhaps his auction more than most, really could be justified on the basis of the wattage rating not necessarily being intentionally misleading...

That was more than two cents. Sorry for the ramble.

Last edited:

Toke

rhd,
Here it comes. :D

Yes ok, there could be a 6W IR diode in there, but since all other lasers are sold on their output it would still be misleading to the point of fraud.

It is theoretically possible that he is somehow unaware of the state of technology and is selling it in good faith. He would still be dumber/more ignorant than the law allows.

rhd

It is theoretically possible that he is somehow unaware of the state of technology and is selling it in good faith. He would still be dumber/more ignorant than the law allows.

That's not true at all Toke. If he's selling it in good faith, and further, isn't in fact making a misrepresentation, then the law has nothing bad to say about it :)

Plus, there is no law against stupidity or ignorance. The law allows just plenty of it ;)

JLSE

Even if there was a chance that it has a 6W pump, dont think it would hit that
off a single 18650.

Good lasers with a 2W pump have trouble as is on a single 18650 let alone 6W..

:beer::pop::wtf::paypal:--NOT!

"AND.... if you look at his FB page this 'seller' has the 'Official Seal of Awesomeness' with a hand in the middle showing the "OK" sign and so you know this HAS to be on the up&up.
Maybe he got the seal from Awesomelasers--remember dat guy?? ..."

goggle search-
same 'Official Seal'---;)
Official Seal of Awesomeness! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:
Just reported the listing. Hopefully the red flags from multiple people will get this taken down:

Listing Violations > Prohibited (banned items) > Electronic equipment > Other electronics

Item Numbers(s):

Message: This is a fraudulent listing. Laser cannon be as advertising using modern technology.

Now I know that's not exactly true, but for the purposes of one more red flag it should do just fine.

We'll thoroughly review what you've reported for violations of our
policy about electronic equipment. Thanks for bringing this to our
attention.

We'll review the listing or post carefully. If we determine that it
violates eBay policy, we may:
-- send the seller a warning
-- remove the listing
-- limit the seller's buying and selling privileges

We usually won't suspend a seller's account unless the seller has
violated our policies multiple times. To protect the privacy of our
members, we don't share what actions we choose to take.

For more information on our policy about electronic equipment, please
visit:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/electronics.html

Thanks,
eBay

Last edited:
I disagree. The page is totally misleading. Yeah we are smart enough to pick it apart, but what about the average Joe?

All it says is Green Laser Pointer 6W. The average Joe will take this at face value. There are no specs, which lies the deception. You are left to assume, and thats misleading. And misleading titles, and info are against eBays rules.

I get your point, but you are given specs with those. If you research the specs you can see its probably not really 5W output, but it may really have a 5W bulb. Also those are a $1. For $800+ I'd expect more information.