Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best red diode?

Oh boy ... Jay I'm getting that same feeling that I got with my 8x. Batteries haven't come yet to test it with 320ma. My desire for power engulfs me once again. I will build the strongest red laser I can. Just 2 more weeks.... 2 more weeks ... yes ... the precious... :evil:

But seriously I think I'll get the LOC on hightechdealz and start out with 450ma. Your hosts are more than adequate.

Would you be able to make a 605 lens in at least 3 weeks?

Last edited:

Crazy Jay , The red LCC i have in a dorcy is shooting out 360mw without a driver just a cr123. should make for a cheap and easy build and gives instant gratifying results.

jayrob

Man those diodes must be tough to handle that kind of current. (that it must be getting)

Would you be able to make a 605 lens in at least 3 weeks?

I have two more Meredith (optimized for red) lenses at the moment. I hope to get the proper pricing on the new lenses. But if they are too much money, it may not be worth it.

Hopefully, I can get them cheaper than the Meredith's were...

Yeah they are, I measured it without the lens and it was 410mw !!!

Last edited:
Crazy Jay , The red LCC i have in a dorcy is shooting out 360mw without a driver just a cr123. should make for a cheap and easy build and gives instant gratifying results.

Your kidding... How long has it been running without a driver?

Now the LOC's are even stronger than the LCC's yes? Hmm ... theyre so cheap I'm not afraid to push them.

Jayrob I might just buy one of those meredith lenses you got. Can you save me one? I need at least 2 1/2 weeks.

jayrob

Well, I have a 'fairness policy' to let stuff go on a 'first pay, first serve' basis...

It's really the only fair way. Send me a PM! :)

I had a LOC in it before and it ran for about a year until 2 weeks ago when i got the bright idea to place it in the freezer for 30 seconds and see if that changed the efficiency, well i didnt let it warm up to a bit cooler than room temperature and i think the heat that shot throught the fragile little diode wires must have snapped, dead.

so i replaced that LOC with a LCC that i got from Daguin and thats what i measured just now. running without any issues.

I say give it a shot.

Fair Enough Jay. :p

Slipstream... the Freezer? COMEON!
pic.php

I just ordered two LPC 815 diodes from Modwerx. I'm gonna try a driverless build with one and see if it holds.

Im bored of my 200mw open can Rayfoss red & want to get into custom builds more.
Been looking into the SLD1332V 500mw from Sony, But just found out its mega money so will have to give that one a miss for now...
Is the LPC-815 the next best diode? Ive read it can be pushed to 300mW+

I've the Meredith housing on route which now has the dual purpose glass lens & adapter to suit 5.6 or 9mm diodes.

daguin

Long Closed Can
Flexdrive set at 500mA
Kryton Groove
Merideth modification for aiXiz by Jayrob
350mW
No record of burn time. I didn't and don't keep track of this one. It is just for burning fun. Although I am not a big "burner" it impresses people.

Peace,
dave

**EDIT** I just remembered why it is set at 500mA. I graphed the diode up until it started to show its knee at 510mA and backed it back below the knee. Above the knee the efficiency drops significantly and the diode becomes strained. That's one of the reasons why people who are running them at 600mA are only getting 20mW more from them than I am at 500mA (plus my lens).

Last edited:
I have a LOC at 600mA - it is putting out 350mW with virtual village lens - not very efficient, but really powerful

Rob

The only problem with the LOC diodes is that they are VERY sensitive to back reflection. This means if the beam happens to reflect back into the aperture, the diode will LED instantly. For me, the best red diode is the LCC from the GGW 6X sled. It's not open-can, so it's not quite as susceptible to reflections. It's a long-die diode (the exact same die as the LOC, in fact) but in a can.

I am testing some of the flat Red diodes for power handling.

Dave sent me a few that I received today.

Now, I just need a couple more types to start the testing.

LarryDFW

I am testing some of the flat Red diodes for power handling.

Dave sent me a few that I received today.

Now, I just need a couple more types to start the testing.

LarryDFW

Are you going to kill them?

Crazy Jay;

I plan on testing them at fairly high power.

A few may donate their life for LPF.

LarryDFW