Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best Fog machine for the money

norbyx

Well I have had it. I want a fog machine.
I don't want to buy anything too expensive (the cheaper the better) and I don't need to put smoke on a 1000 sq.ft. area, just a single room to play arround and to take some pictures with my lasers.
Let's say that the biggest area that I could be looking to have some fog in is my living room that is about 720 sq.ft. but I would be in no hurry to have it all smoked up in a minute... it could take it's time...

Point is, cheap.... good .... and reliable....
What could you recomend?

Last edited:

daguin

Re: Best Smoke machine for the money

<moot>

Last edited:

norbyx

Re: Best Smoke machine for the money

Yeah you are correct fog machine... I think smoke and forgot it's called fog... thanks will edit the post...

since your in costa rica, im not sure on shipping but id go to local party supply stores and start there. Halloween is a great time for these

norbyx

There is a local listing a MTE F-800R for sale at $40 used what do you think?

Chauvet Hurricane 900 Fog Machine

I purchased this for machine through Amazon last September and have used it on at least 25 photo shoots of 2 hours or more shooting my lasers. It works great. In all of that time I have used less than 2 quarts of fluid. I think the machine cost me around 50 dollars and the fluid around 10 dollars per quart.

norbyx

That is what I have been doing for now but there are a couple of things I dislike about the glycerine method.
1. after reading and reading and reading, I came to the conclusion that if you burn glycerine over a certain temperature it becomes toxic.
2. Since sometimes I use a room that is far away from the kitchen I end up using a seant burner to do the trick, and it takes forever.

A fog machine on the other hand, is quite fast, and you can take it to any room and have fog in a question of minutes.

I will be checking the one that is for sale localy tomorrow and see if it's worth the money. :thinking:

You can make fog with liquid nitogen + water or dry ice + water too. :)

norbyx

You can make fog with liquid nitogen + water or dry ice + water too. :)

Yeah well I want a simple solution, I don't want to go search for the liquid nitrogen ecc...ecc... to have the some fog to play arround with lasers. But thanks for the suggestion.
:)

I agree with LIVINLOUD's assessment. I picked up a $40.00 USD unit around HALLOWEEN for under $12.00 USD. Just wait till ~ 3rd week of OCTOBER.............. rob

thanks for agreeing. i have a few months until i pick mine up unless i find a killer deal online somewhere

EDIT: i regret not buying one last year

Last edited:
Sometimes I really don't get it. People will spend hundreds of dollars for a laser but get cheap with the accessories to enhance a laser, spend the 40 or 50 dollars, get a fog machine and enjoy it now

well the point is there are cheaper ways to get the same effects as a fog machine. the only thing with a fog machine is its more convenient. the other problem is most stores dont carry fog machines on a regular basis. halloween stores pop up around the holiday and they carry many in stock. people decide to get these then since they are available and some wait until after halloween to get better deals. the more we save on accessories, means the more we can put into more lasers :p

we arent trying to get cheap quality accessories, we are just wanting to get a good deal. BTW ive NEVER paid retail on anything (unless ive absolutely had to), its too easy to find deals especially with the internet

norbyx

well bruce you have a point there... One invests thousands of $$$ in lasers and than wants a $20 cheep fog machine.... hahahaha you made me think...

I paid 50 dollars on Amazon last August. I could have waited 6 weeks and saved 20 bucks. I know many stores don't carry fog machine year round, but for most of the planet, things can be ordered through Amazon, or somewhere else and have it delivered to your doorstep in a very timely manner. For my fog machine, I plug it in, pour in a few ounces of fluid and in three minutes it is ready to go. I also realize saving 20 dollars for some is a necessity for some, but when I see what people, including me, pay for a 473nm, or 589-593.5nm or about one hundred other goodies, I can only laugh. When I see forum members signatures, I see big bucks invested! I have also seen many people are the same with diffraction gratings. I have seen people complain on this forum about spending an extra 5 dollars to get a diffraction grating that costs 10 dollars. Many people would rather spend 7 dollars for an inferior product than spend say 15 or 20dollars for a much better optical quality. I will spend what I think is necessary to accomplish what I am trying to do, which is using all of this stuff to take photographs. I hope I don't sound like a snob, but in this rather expensive hobby I like to do things right and spend my money wisely