Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beamshots in one of my favourite spots!

I've been meaning to get back out and take some more shots. So here are a few of my existing lasers to keep you all tided over until my batteries arrive for my new Sanwu pocket :angel:

This is just a random LE of a tree with some mistletoe left hanging there. You can see Pleiades through the branches.

A shot of an aircraft which passed overhead (I was very careful not to be using lasers while they were visible, I usually give aircraft 5 minutes to clear the area before I aim the laser well away from the aircraft. I always check right out to the horizon line, and often bring a radio scanner with me)

A beam bounce with a 650nm 100mW in an 850 host. It works well, despite not being the best angle or being well focused. It was pitch black at the time so I tried.

The same 650nm in action, foreground and background views.

A 650nm and a 405nm side by side aimed into the river.

A 532nm joining in

Hope this keeps you all entertained until I can get out again :D I had some fun taking these, and I'm hoping to be posting more often :beer:

Vark

BobMc

Really, really nice beam shots , great to wake up to. Thanks for the appetite wetter !!! Nice

Ps. Your right you can see home through the trees. :D

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Looking good, love that 650nm color!
The photo of the jet with the light trail is cool, I like that pulsed, alternating green and white light! :)
:kewlpics:

Radim

Awesome. I really love outdoor shots. They look so wicked. BTW In addition to careful observation for aircrafts (and other living or not living objects I do not want to hit with laser) I use FlightRadar app to check for aircrafts nearby as they might approach during exposure or might be invisible for a moment - also you cannot rely on hearing them as sound is soo slow when it comes to distances of flying aircrafts.I highly recommend this app for outdoor laser photography.

BobMc

Awesome. I really love outdoor shots. They look so wicked. BTW In addition to careful observation for aircrafts (and other living or not living objects I do not want to hit with laser) I use FlightRadar app to check for aircrafts nearby as they might approach during exposure or might be invisible for a moment - also you cannot rely on hearing them as sound is soo slow when it comes to distances of flying aircrafts.I highly recommend this app for outdoor laser photography.

Thanks Radim for the heads about the FlightRadar app sounds like something I will diffidently be wanting to look into. Sounds like it can give you great piece of mind, not 100% but much better, thanks, :)

Last edited:

Radim

Thanks Radim for the heads about the FlightRadar app sounds like something I will diffidently be wanting to look into. Sounds like it can give you great piece of mind, not 100% but much better, thanks, :)

You are welcome. Just be aware as you said it is not 100 %. Some planes do not show there. I noticed that they are probably the small ones - private, for small number of persons. I'm not expert, but I think these are the planes out of controlled air traffic and using low altitudes - therefore much more affected by accidental laser hit. Standard visual (and audial - not sure about term - just use your ears too) safety observation is absolutely necessary in any case.

BobMc

You are welcome. Just be aware as you said it is not 100 %. Some planes do not show there. I noticed that they are probably the small ones - private, for small number of persons. I'm not expert, but I think these are the planes out of controlled air traffic and using low altitudes - therefore much more affected by accidental laser hit. Standard visual (and audial - not sure about term - just use your ears too) safety observation is absolutely necessary in any case.

Agree 100%, thanks again :)

Zhinkk

The lighting in the third picture + the red beam looks fantastic. You have some nice beamshots there

Hey Aardvark777, really loving those shots! :yh:

Thanks for sharing those!

What caused the dashes in the beam, was it pulsed?

DSC_0013ed_zpsrebhubap.jpg

Radim

So that's a plane, not a laser? That's why it's white?

I think so... Plane coming from left to right, as just green light is visible, not red. White beam, with green stripes, how that would be possible? :thinking:

Edit:

Last edited:
I think so... Plane coming from left to right, as just green light is visible, not red. White beam, with green stripes, how that would be possible? :thinking:

Edit:

Plane with green flashing lights?

edit: Oh I see. Just like on a speed boat.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone :) thanks for the +rep and kind words!

The reason I bring a scanner is to find civil flights. HMAF fly on encrypted channels. They keep them that way unless it's at an air show so that people can listen. I live next to a Naval Air Station. I get a few RAF flights come over too. So I need to keep my wits about me. I find the C-17s are silent on approach and can sneak up on me easily. By the time I hear them they are over head. A lot of training occurs and they fly by VFR and sometimes they go out at night doing low level flights with night viewing gear, certainly the Wildcat and Lynx helos on base are all IR equipped, so a lot of lasers will be extremely obvious to the crewman/observer.

I'm extremely careful but no app will help me as I still use a Nokia with buttons haha. Besides military flights aren't likely to be on the app, and certainly not low level flight or low radar cross section craft.

As said above the port/stbd, beacon, and nav lights depending on the craft are done on a timer. So provided the aircraft maintains airspeed, bearing and altitude the line gets drawn in the sky with evenly distributed blips of light for flashing lights, and a set of solid lines where any lights pass which are constantly on. You'll often see a line for cabin lights on private prop craft or in air liners, especially if they bank.

It's interesting when they do a go around or change direction on approach because you can really see the lights move in long exposure pictures :) it's sometimes the case that you'll see afterburner on some of the fast jets at night. It's wonderful also to see the way the traffic paints lights over busy roads at night.

I'm going out again soon, I've just started a new job, so things will have to settle, but I'll be out as soon as I get a day off. It's shift work and my start times vary wildly.

Thanks everyone :) :beer: