Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beam size meaurements

Blord

You know that if the divergence gets lower the beam thickness also grows. Expect a pretty thick beam for the green laser with a small divergence of 0.6mrad.
There is no way around the laws of physics. :)

JLM

You know that if the divergence gets lower the beam thickness also grows. Expect a pretty thick beam for the green laser with a small divergence of 0.6mrad.

Also; Why my Krypton in low mode is 1.0mRAD but in High is 2.0mRAD?
:thanks:

ARG

My 300mW 532nm has a 0.6mrad beam with a 2mm diameter :D

JLM

My 300mW 532nm has a 0.6mrad beam with a 2mm diameter :D

OK, let me see. In less divergence the beam travels more distance, is visible faraway and burns better, but in more divergence the beam look fat and stronger for the user. Look like a super spot light. :confused:

It doesn't necessarily burn better. Remember you are expanding the beam, so you are increasing your area but still using the same power. The best burning I believe would be to have an adjustable lens that let's you get your beam to a focal point. Now if you have a really powerful laser, yes a beam expander could increase your burning distance. With a beam expander, you are making the beam fatter, and by doing this you decrease divergence. But only with a beam expander. You don't decrease divergence by making your beam "fatter" via defocusing lens.

With a lot of divergence (defocused lens for widest spot at said distance) yes laser would be like an area light. But the. Beam is so wide you probably wouldn't see it at all.

OK, let me see. In less divergence the beam travels more distance, is visible faraway and burns better, but in more divergence the beam look fat and stronger for the user. Look like a super spot light. :confused:

JLM

It doesn't necessarily burn better. Remember you are expanding the beam, so you are increasing your area but still using the same power. The best burning I believe would be to have an adjustable lens that let's you get your beam to a focal point. Now if you have a really powerful laser, yes a beam expander could increase your burning distance. With a beam expander, you are making the beam fatter, and by doing this you decrease divergence. But only with a beam expander. You don't decrease divergence by making your beam "fatter" via defocusing lens.

With a lot of divergence (defocused lens for widest spot at said distance) yes laser would be like an area light. But the. Beam is so wide you probably wouldn't see it at all.

Thanks. My Beam look very well but I have a mountain 1/2 mile is front of my house. When I point to the mountain I can see the dot but look like a spot light. You can see my laser beam pictures here http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/price-droped-wl-krypton-300mw-250-more-79738-2.html#post1147005
:thanks:

ARG

The laser in my avatar (also the DPSS hillside album below) is the 0.6mrad 300mW 532nm one.

The beam was about a rulers length on the mountain.

ARG

That is normal. Get your self a beam expander if you want better divergence. You can DIY one, but I don't know how.

IIRC bionic badger made a thread about making one out of a cheaply telescope.

F4GRX

I got this picture of my red beam on a black surface, exposure time 1/2000 of a second:

2 meter from the source, the dot was about ~5mm in diameter.

with this laser printer diode holder

power unknown, divergence unknown - and I don't really care, it was just a quick test, not meant to be optimal. I was just testing how to get beam pictures without saturating the ccd sensor :)

Last edited:

ARG

That's a great picture of the dot! Thanks for sharing.

Hello,all lasers Lover,I'm new in this forum and I can see that some Lasers have more sized beam who make is beautifull to see.(Like Saber laser adapter for wicked laser artic or krypton S3).
When the Beam is bigger I think Dot don't goes to the same Range distance ?
How long distance the Dot can be see in a high power (1.3watts) pointer laser ?
In wicked laser website, I can read that Krypton S3 Dot can goes at 137KM distance it's Possible ? I can see a Picure taking from Spatial center, where we can see the green Dot from a Krypton S3....It very Impresed me.
I just order a 1.3watts Blue Laser from a member off this forum,I'm excited to reiceive it for looking how long distances I can see the Blue Dot.
Have good Vibes.
Thank's before for your help,friendly,Olsqueak.

mwang

Hello,all lasers Lover,I'm new in this forum and I can see that some Lasers have more sized beam who make is beautifull to see.(Like Saber laser adapter for wicked laser artic or krypton S3).
When the Beam is bigger I think Dot don't goes to the same Range distance ?
How long distance the Dot can be see in a high power (1.3watts) pointer laser ?
In wicked laser website, I can read that Krypton S3 Dot can goes at 137KM distance it's Possible ? I can see a Picure taking from Spatial center, where we can see the green Dot from a Krypton S3....It very Impresed me.
I just order a 1.3watts Blue Laser from a member off this forum,I'm excited to reiceive it for looking how long distances I can see the Blue Dot.
Have good Vibes.
Thank's before for your help,friendly,Olsqueak.

First off, wicked lasers is known for "lying." 137 KM is impossible for any handheld that I know of, as divergence on handhelds are, to say it plain and simple, bad. Heck, 50 KM is barely possible, if not impossible.
A 1.3 W blue laser should be very visible at night, you could probably hit something 5-10 miles away or more (correct me if I'm wrong). The beam should also be very impressive. Have fun and be safe with your new laser when it arrives!