Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beam Expansion... BOOM!

Kicked the tires on my new Melles Griot 20x Beam Expander purchased from LPF's very own DJNY. The laser was a SkyLaser PL532-700 that is a tad overspec from the recent GB, but I'd been tinkering around outside with it on the same batteries, so it's probably putting out around between 500 and 700mW in these shots.

Anyway, the construction of the BE is fantastic. It's a little tricky hand-aligning the beam on the "input" side since this was made for a lab laser and I don't have a customer mount for my handhelds, but there is a small guide pin on the back face that lined up fairly well with the edge of the shutter on the PL532, so I could 1-hand it after I got it initially set up. The pics aren't great, but you get the idea... native beam shot on left and expanded beam on right with the same camera zoom and relative position to laser.

Thanks for an awesome transaction DJNY! I am looking forward to experimenting with this some more when I have time to play.

pqe5.jpg

What do you guys think? Big beams are pretty cool, no? :beer:

Cheers!
-c

Last edited:

man, that sure is awesome! looks like i have something else to buy :whistle: . really, who needs money anyway? at the rate i have been buying lasers and laser accessories lately, ill be a hobo in a month.

Last edited:
lol. nice beam shots, though i would keep that off your LCD. lasers can damage the transitive and polarized layers in them if they are powerful enough. I almost bought this but i didnt have the money. I wanted try putting it on my HeNe :D

Encap

Very cool!

I remember looking at that sale and thinking about it--I wondered who got it.

That MG 20X is a super quality BE and he was selling it for like 80% off the price of a new one--still not inexpensive but within reach of many. I was wondering who got it.

The expanded beam is amazing with your with your PL532-700!

How does the thick beam look to the eye if not same as camera?

Does it look/appear as if almost solid?

Last edited:
Awesome!
A long time ago I lit a match at 20 meters with a PGL-III-C 400 and a LaserGlow X10DR 10X beam expander. This laser actually peaked above 800mW and liked to hover between 600-700mW. I dare you to beat it!

gismo

Thanks for sharing, KapHn8d!

Make sure you keep us all posted with more pictures or even videos whenever you get a chance.

:gj:

DJNY

Hey great expander you got there :cool:

I´m also looking forward to more pics / vids.

:thanks: +1

Pman

Absolutely beautiful and I want one.... Thanks;(
Honestly though, that looks great. Got to get me one at some point.

Thanks for the comments... I just need some practice taking beamshots. You know brucemir has some big shoes to fill :)

I'll definitely try the long distance match lighting experiment when I can secure a place to do it safely.

Cheers!!
-c

ps. ultimatekaiser, that wasn't an LCD... it's the top to an aluminum carry case that has some batteries in it... but thanks for the tip! I'll remember that.

Kicked the tires on my new Melles Griot 20x Beam Expander purchased from LPF's very own DJNY. The laser was a SkyLaser PL532-700 that is a tad overspec from the recent GB, but I'd been tinkering around outside with it on the same batteries, so it's probably putting out around between 500 and 700mW in these shots.

Anyway, the construction of the BE is fantastic. It's a little tricky hand-aligning the beam on the "input" side since this was made for a lab laser and I don't have a customer mount for my handhelds, but there is a small guide pin on the back face that lined up fairly well with the edge of the shutter on the PL532, so I could 1-hand it after I got it initially set up. The pics aren't great, but you get the idea... native beam shot on left and expanded beam on right with the same camera zoom and relative position to laser.

Thanks for an awesome transaction DJNY! I am looking forward to experimenting with this some more when I have time to play.

pqe5.jpg

What do you guys think? Big beams are pretty cool, no? :beer:

Cheers!
-c

I often remark when anyone shows off their new laser with beamshots in their bedroom etc. all lasers beams look the same. Now to truly show off what a collimator can do, go outside and target distant objects of known distances. Then post photos with distance measurements. Do a comparison between laser without collimator and with collimator. Enlist the help of a friend to take photos. Even target traffic signs if the placement of the sign won't interfere with traffic. You can do this to make your next post even more interesting by doing this. Get well outside of the city of Huston to show off this new toy. Laser Pointer Experiment Surfaces should be light in color.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Wow, fantastic beamshots.
I was wondering who the lucky guy who bought this was,congrats on a super deal! :beer:
I was looking at it also, but didn't pull the trigger.
Like everybody else, looking forward to some long distanse beamshots with that "wall of green light" you have there! :)

jesus point that in the sky and ppl will think some aliens are beaming up something

It appears the 2 pictures were taken at different angles relative to the laser.
Also, the pic on the right seems to be alot closer to laser than the pic on the left.
I agree, pics taken outdoors with/without collimator is the way to go.