Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

awesome ruby laser rod

Right. That would sound about where I've heard. Is there any way to actually report the power?

-Mark

If you design a REALLY good reflector you might be able to get away with one linear lamp, but It really will be easier with two. And if you only use one, it HAS to to have an active area of at least the length of the rod. If it's only half the length it wont lase.

This would just make life so much easier for you...

dfd3_1.JPG

I actually cant find any helical lamps on ebay right now though... weird...

Last edited:
The higher the pulse width and duty cycle, the more cooling it will need. Some just allow cold tap water to run through tubing to cool the resonant cavity and especially the rod and then it flows down the drain. The rod will crack if it overtemps. At least that was how Yags reacted to excessive heat.

Hey, if your buddy's girl is still pissed, tell him I'll buy the rod from him :D

disma

lol, I think he wants to keep it, but I will tell him you are interested. The other rod is 4.5 inches x .25 inches.

.3lite

Omg, I'm still waiting for my occasion to buy such thing, it's amazing, also as I remember ruby rods provide 670nm, also the power you can get from it ;s

disma

close, but no, its 694.3nm. I am still looking for mirrors for it.

I have installed some Solar Tubes in my house, and the inside of those are highly reflective. They are also curved already, so it wouldn't be hard to bend it into a smaller diameter tube. I believe you can buy just tube extensions fairly cheaply

Awesome Ruby Rod

OK -

The rod needs to be coated on each face - one 100% reflective and the opposite 50%. The 50% face will emit the beam.

It looks like the rod is lightly doped so your "pumping power" will be reasonable. You will need to acquire large, high-voltage capacitors - I',m talking about perhaps 5 to 10 100 micro farads at 5 KV. These puppies are big - oil filled and weigh about 50 # each. To that you add a HV DC powersupply to charge the caps up - a trigger circuit (20-25kv spark) and presto - a giant pulse.

I used just this design to open the Chicago 1963 Science fair - bursting a balloon 20 feet away with ribbons tied to it.

^This rod could be used with actual HR and OC mirrors, correct? That would be even easier, and more practical than having the ends coated.