Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

awesome ruby laser rod

Wow. Hey if you have the time can you a tutorial? I'm sure many people would appreciate your effort.

I do not have the time for this (at least not yet), however I will be happy to help anyone who is serious about building his or her own ruby laser. If you want to build something from the ground up, I'm here for you. I'm not into fancy high tech electronics, or anything like that. I build my lasers from scratch.

Email me and I can coach you through the construction process (time permitting). I can be reached at

jarrod694@gmail.com

Be sure and include something in the title that indicates what your email is about (I don't open emails from people I don't know unless there is a reason to do so).

My laser uses an 800 Joule xenon lamp I obtained from Ebay for less than $40. With only 700 volts of stored energy in my capacitors, I needed a good source of high voltage in order to trigger this large lamp. I got tired of messing with DIY electronic trigger devices, so I designed a trigger system based on a DIY Wimshurst Machine

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2436/3733826228_1d0195198d.jpg

However, I must disclaim any responsibity from damages or injury resulting from such a device. Unless you fully understand the risks, ruby laser circuitry can be as leathal as a loaded gun. Incorrect wiring or improper triggering can lead to disaster. The trigger pulse must therefore be isolated from the main circuitry.

Very cool thanks for the great beam shots, looks like the forward lens is going to get pitted siting there, very way cool way to trigger this laser !

Very nice rod!!!
Actually helical lamps are crap! No joke. Inefficient as hell...just use a fitting Xe-flashlamp as used for YAGs.
Regarding the mirrors. There is a homemade ruby-laser on utube...made by magx1 (I believe)...he used YAG-mirrors. Not the best thing he could do, but it works!

You dont even need a cavity (the perfect cavity is eliptical..not that easy to fabricate). Just put the lamo next to the rod and wrap it in aluminum-foil! Will work for 100% sure.

EDIT: Jarrod is a member...didnt even notice that this thread has 3 pages already.

kng

Reviving/hijacking this thread with some of my ruby stuff.
I got started on my ruby laser some two weeks ago, found out about Jarrods very similar setup and sent a whole bunch of questions to him and he helped me out sorting out the critical stuff.
I've got a picture gallery with comments at: Rubinlaser / Ruby laser
Soon I'll have a better project page with details on the build on: KNG's Ruby laser project