Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arctic vs CNI PGL-III-C

DJNY

Would you guys please stay on topic and don´t spam this thread!?

Sorry for the delay, I have to go to sleep between 8-9pm and wake up on 4am - I´m currently working as a postman
It is getting dark here between 10-11pm and until 3-4am, so pics and yomparison is going to follow on Friday or Saturday! (one day is reserved for night life ;))

jbtm

Nice compare images, Dot of the CNI looks a little smaller. Everyone is different, I usually buy items for looks sometimes more than performance...So I would have to say the Arctic. BUT, because the Arctic just went to $400+, I'd have to go by cost, and would probably have gone with the CNI. Since I got my laser for $220 with 2 year warranty, Its ok. Had I had to pay 450+, I would have gone with CNI.

So for me, Cost is everything...If I didnt buy an artic already, I would say go CNI, since the new price is $450+ on the Arctics now :(

Heleno

wow!
this is gonna be sweet!
definately subscribing!
DJNY -- why working?! nah! it'll only make you upset and give you enough money just to be even more upset! =P hehehehe

WOW looks as though to me the arctic is brighter.

How do you figure that?

Pictures are not a reliable way to compare power. Looks about equal to me.
Even if the one was more powerful than the other, it would only be by a few tens of milliWatts, maybe 100 or so at most.
The visual difference between ~900mW and ~700mW will not be much.

Last edited:
The Arctic looks brighter because of the larger spot (poor divergence) and light diffusing off the final output lens.

The PGL-III-C, on the other hand, has minimal beam scatter and a small spot (good divergence).

The Arctic looks brighter because of the larger spot (poor divergence) and light diffusing off the final output lens.

The PGL-III-C, on the other hand, has minimal beam scatter and a small spot (good divergence).

that was my though as well.:)

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I'd believe the CNI still has the smaller spot size according to this photo:

1008601.jpg

In this photo, the CNI's spot is also visibly smaller:

1008586.jpg

And in this photo it also has a smaller dot than the Arctic:

1008539.jpg

The PGL-III-C has the thinner diameter at close distances, the Arctic has the lower divergence over distance. So the PGL-III-C is the better burner at short distances, but most of us prefer the lower divergence over distance. Both aren´t good ATM.

In all three photos, it shows the CNI having the smaller beam diameter, and lower overall divergence in your across-the-room shots.

Perhaps I'm missing something here? :wtf: :thinking:

Last edited:

Moptsp

I thought the CNI looked better as far as diameter and divergence also.

got meter?

From OP said:
My idea is to get as much points as possible to light and rate. Unfortunately I have no LPM for these outputs at hand, but there are enough other ways to score. You are of course allowed to support me at the competition by giving me ideas about parameters to look at.

DJNY

Important things to look at:

-Build quality of the host
-Finish of the body and host
-Ergonomics (how the host feels in your hand- clumsy, smooth, hard to hold on to)
-Beam specifications (divergence, shape)
-Beam quality (splash, halos, wings, interference)
-Host external temperatures
-Battery life
-Safety features
-Ease of use (switch positioning, etc.)

Try not to allow opinions and prejudices against a company affect your scoring. (if I did this based on opinion and what I thought of WL, the PGL-III-C would have a clear WIN). Base it instead on what you think of the lasers. Pretend you didn't know either WL or CNI existed before you got your two lasers.

Just noticed, great post and thx for the advice :beer:
+1

:bumpit: with a little update at the OP!

Thread is looking good, but one thing to note with the latest update: you've got the coloured squares backwards on the safety features for the PGL-III-C. You've got the keys in a red square with the headphone-type port lock, and vice versa.

Love the way this Versus is shaping up. Keep up the updates! :)

DJNY

Thread is looking good, but one thing to note with the latest update: you've got the coloured squares backwards on the safety features for the PGL-III-C. You've got the keys in a red square with the headphone-type port lock, and vice versa.

Love the way this Versus is shaping up. Keep up the updates! :)

Thank you :D

+picture fixed!