Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any 445 accidents yet?

oic0

Ok, sanity check for you guys who think its ok to look at it and ok to take reflections. Take your expensive digital camera which is worth infinitely less than your eye balls, and shine it in to the optical sensor OR let it video tape the dot from a few feet away for a couple days, the amount of time youll accumulate over the years in your hobby (you can see mine being overloaded and causing image artifacts in my video, hope I didnt damage it).

You wont do it will you? because, you know it will destroy your camera and you feel protective of it. Believe me, the image sensor inside there is a LOT more resilient than your eyes. You can take pictures of and record the sun all day long every day on that camera without damage, meanwhile your eyes would be toast.

Last edited:

My eyes are surprisingly laser/light tolerant. I only wear goggles when I am focusing the dot on a white wall for best divergence (thinnest line in this case), otherwise I can look at the dot a foot away from a white wall and not feel unpleasant. I also burn things with it without using goggles most of the time. I guess everyone has a certain tolerance level for how much light intensity they can absorb. I've also been hit with my 1.1 W blue many times before for a fraction of a second from mirror reflections and it seems like it's all good. I know I should wear goggles more often, but since the intense light doesn't bother me, I don't see the point if handled with care and responsibility. Oh and I've also got my thumb caught in the beam while focusing and it really does hurt for a brief amount of time.

You are joking right? Your eyes are not more Tolerant than anyone else. I think You might just want to have an optometrist check You out. I would be very surprised if You haven't already suffered damage that You are unaware of.

Just My $0.02

Last edited:

oic0

You are joking right? Your eyes are not more Tolerant than anyone else. I think You might just want to have an optometrist check You out. I would be very surprised if You haven't already suffered damage that You are unaware of.

Just My $0.2

Could possibly be, the UV filter on his eyes could be a bit different and catching more of it. In which case, he is doing less retinal damage BUT giving himself cataracts as its absorbed by the filter. I dunno if its possible for the filter on the human eye to filter out wavelengths that long though. My eye ball anatomy knowledge is lacking.

Could possibly be, the UV filter on his eyes could be a bit different and catching more of it. In which case, he is doing less retinal damage BUT giving himself cataracts as its absorbed by the filter. I dunno if its possible for the filter on the human eye to filter out wavelengths that long though. My eye ball anatomy knowledge is lacking.
He obviously would not see the light if it was filtered :D That's what goggles are for.

I too do not feel very unpleasent using the laser in my room without goggles. This "tolerance" thing would make sense , I did look into many many laser dots through my time here, so I guess one can just get used to scearing glow.

[P.S. Spelling, "scearing"?]

My eyes are surprisingly laser/light tolerant. I only wear goggles when I am focusing the dot on a white wall for best divergence (thinnest line in this case), otherwise I can look at the dot a foot away from a white wall and not feel unpleasant. I also burn things with it without using goggles most of the time. I guess everyone has a certain tolerance level for how much light intensity they can absorb. I've also been hit with my 1.1 W blue many times before for a fraction of a second from mirror reflections and it seems like it's all good. I know I should wear goggles more often, but since the intense light doesn't bother me, I don't see the point if handled with care and responsibility. Oh and I've also got my thumb caught in the beam while focusing and it really does hurt for a brief amount of time.

Wow dude. You aren't more "tolerant" than anyone else. It's simple science. You've got cells in your eyes, and they are getting demolished by high powered radiation. You don't have a stronger retina than I do or some nonsense like that.

If you have been viewing a 1W laser diffuse reflection consistently at a short distance like you indicated you have, you most likely have eye damage that you aren't aware of. Go to a doctor. Hope you're eyes aren't hurt.

Most importantly - START using common sense! Always wear goggles inside!

My retarded co-worker walked into my office with his 1 watt that I repaired/built for him. He knows about laser safety but decided to jokingly shine right at me. His aim was off and he blasted me in the left eye. In all the years of dealing with lasers I have never caught a stray beam to the eye and then this yahoo walked into my office and blasted me. I couldn't believe what had just happened. My vision is fine though. So far as I can tell.

That guy wouldn't have had a laser after that had it been me that he hit.. and that's not all he might have ended up without.

This thread is Fail.Wear the goggles or go blind.It is that simple.

Idiocy like some have posted here is a ban on lasers waiting to occur.
Be safe.It really isn't that hard!

DrSid

Braille in fact has matrix 3x2 per character. So this is just a joke.

Braille in fact has matrix 3x2 per character. So this is just a joke.

:D

Yes. I looked really hard for actual Braille Unicode too. But there's no common way to display it in most people's browsers.

He is trying braille because he burned his remaining eye recently, haven't had enough time to learn braille right, but he want to report how happened the accident. In the end, in a desperation act, he simply posted a attempt to say WTF? :)

Also maybe he is reporting the dead pixels from his screen burned by lasers... :)

Just joking... we are going offtopic by far LOL

Canuke

My retarded co-worker walked into my office with his 1 watt that I repaired/built for him. He knows about laser safety but decided to jokingly shine right at me. His aim was off and he blasted me in the left eye.

Good thing you didn't fix his handgun, then :eek: