Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any 445 accidents yet?

oic0

The braille does bring up a good point. The people having accidents might have some trouble postin ;)

Perhaps it is time for braille safety foil labels to be made that read " Do not stare into Laser beam with remaining eye ".

IsaacT

Although if they have a remaining eye they probably wouldn't need braille....not to mention that if they already lost 1 eye and are stupid enough to risk the other, more power to em and let darwinism work its magic.

Benm

All kidding aside, i think there should be proper warnings for these lasers.

We are used to having big, expensive, green and red lasers around the 500 mW mark, but these 445's are very affordable, and get around 1 watt of output power.

I'm not sure how this should be labeled, but i am certain that there should be a clear difference in warning between an innocent 10 mW green and a 1 watt 445. I welcome suggestions on that end - but i think there should be a proper label for class-IV devices clearly indicating they pose a very real hazard.

All kidding aside, i think there should be proper warnings for these lasers.

We are used to having big, expensive, green and red lasers around the 500 mW mark, but these 445's are very affordable, and get around 1 watt of output power.

I'm not sure how this should be labeled, but i am certain that there should be a clear difference in warning between an innocent 10 mW green and a 1 watt 445. I welcome suggestions on that end - but i think there should be a proper label for class-IV devices clearly indicating they pose a very real hazard.

As far as I know, there are warnings...it is just that some are ignoring them because they are immune to photons.I know THAT company really hyped the danger....and many who are waiting for spartans started by canceling that other laser.They have been warned.
My position is selfish, I admit.If you are an idiot with a class 4 445 laser...and you injure yourself just accept your own total stupidity and keep it to yourself.The last thing we need is a litany of injured idiots clamoring for some higher authority to keep us safe.Wear proper protection, is it really that hard?
There was a guy down the road where I lived who made the Darwin awards by checking his gas tank level with a long fireplace match.Lethal stupidity Fail.Class 4 lasers are dangerous..duh.Yeah, it is only one watt, and it isn't as bad as a q-switched 10kw pulse yag.But IN NO WAY does that make it a toy or safe to "play" with.ACT ACCORDINGLY.

I hope that wasn't too harsh.I like lasers, a lot.And I want to obtain them without proving I am trained or having to build unregistered ones to enjoy illegally.
The ramifications for our passion could be dire....let's just apply the well published guidelines and stay out of the news..please.

IsaacT

I totally agree and I think your tone was appropriate....I don't want the government getting into this hobby anymore than they already are....it is bad enough we have to get <1mW stickers for importing to the US. If a bunch of morons go stirring everything up we'll end up with all sorts of lame laws and increased customs and increased control over what you buy and I don't think anyone wants that. So please, be responsible with the gun*i mean laser* you bought and don't get injured.

I totally agree and I think your tone was appropriate....I don't want the government getting into this hobby anymore than they already are....it is bad enough we have to get <1mW stickers for importing to the US. If a bunch of morons go stirring everything up we'll end up with all sorts of lame laws and increased customs and increased control over what you buy and I don't think anyone wants that. So please, be responsible with the gun*i mean laser* you bought and don't get injured.

Thanks.Guns are a good analogy to some degree...they are far more dangerous close up and over great distances.Many today do not know proper gun handling....and for them the comparison is unhelpful.

megha

My retarded co-worker walked into my office with his 1 watt that I repaired/built for him. He knows about laser safety but decided to jokingly shine right at me. His aim was off and he blasted me in the left eye. In all the years of dealing with lasers I have never caught a stray beam to the eye and then this yahoo walked into my office and blasted me. I couldn't believe what had just happened. My vision is fine though. So far as I can tell.

that`s pretty bad... I personally sell laser pointers (the strongest is DX or FP 200mW greenie, or the red one that uses 2x CR2) and I`ve learn to never give the laser to any possible client. The first thing they do is to aim it to your or their eyes, or their friend eyes. Hope your eyes be ok.

no better analogy to these than a firearm - like a snubnose, don't let the size fool you these are not toys. I agree about not wanting any government intrusion on this "hobby" but like everything else it's only a matter of time. and there are any number of other common devices that can be used for nefarious purposes. it's all on the intarwebs :p

/adjusts tinfoil

plexus

That's the trick with blue (and partly with red, and much more so with 808) .. the light SEEMS less bright than it really is .. and you reaction (blinking, pupil dilation) are much slower .. also the light is much less unpleasant. It is said, that with IR, first marks of eye damage is strange crackling sounds inside your head .. that are tiny bubbles of steam forming in the eye liquid. No pain. No immediate degradation of light. No unpleasant brightness.

Water absorbs IR. from what i understand, eye tissue will absorb the IR and damage will occur on the surface and through tot he lens of the eye and not make it into the internal structure including the retina. From what i have read, to a point there will be no pain as your lens, cornea and perhaps iris are damaged but soon after there will be pain or at least discomfort, plus e deterioration of your sight as this happens. Ive read this in a few differrent places including I believe, sam's laser faq.

megha

You are joking right? Your eyes are not more Tolerant than anyone else. I think You might just want to have an optometrist check You out. I would be very surprised if You haven't already suffered damage that You are unaware of.

Just My $0.2

I`ve tought the same than you... Maybe an anormal case could tolerate a 5% more than other eye, would that change something?

People thinking is born to tolerate laser light is funny :)

IsaacT

Water absorbs IR. from what i understand, eye tissue will absorb the IR and damage will occur on the surface and through tot he lens of the eye and not make it into the internal structure including the retina. From what i have read, to a point there will be no pain as your lens, cornea and perhaps iris are damaged but soon after there will be pain or at least discomfort, plus e deterioration of your sight as this happens. Ive read this in a few differrent places including I believe, sam's laser faq.

Yes, I can comfirm that IR is abosrbed by water. On ingrown toenail surgeries, they can use an IR and water to make the necessary cuts, sealing, and whatnot...

Although if they have a remaining eye they probably wouldn't need braille....not to mention that if they already lost 1 eye and are stupid enough to risk the other, more power to em and let darwinism work its magic.

You can still have kids if you're blind. You just can't play catch with them.

IsaacT

True....but, with a laser that powerful, maybe they would get cancer or something...you never know.