Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Announcement: Radiant, and me

Yeah I wouldnt expect that for awhile IF copper is even needed for these chunky sinks. I'm probably going to wait for the direct press aluminum for a 12X build with a 501B

You'd first solder the wires, and then press it in. It should not be a problem.

My new personal 445nm will use this particular heatsink, just for proof of concept.

In the last resort, I can always make the heatsink in two parts, the body detached from the collar where all the components are. But it should not be neccessary.

Would you then need a special diode press where you can feed the wires through the center of it?
I would always assume it'd have to be made into two parts, but if you can find a way to make it one part and still easily buildable then more power to you. Good work!

anselm

Would you then need a special diode press where you can feed the wires through the center of it?
What, like the back of an Aixiz housing?
Hey Eudaimonium, sorry if I missed it, is that inner diameter ~12mm?

Those renderings look great, let's see how they turn out for real, shall we?

Yeah I see no problem in using simple Aixiz back end for the trick. If wires are longer than Aixiz itself, just curl them up inside the back end so you can press diode, and then just straighten them out later.

Anselm, which inner diameter, the one where driver would go?
There's 18mm intrusion for contact boards and driver room is 16mm wide (one right at the back of the diode), just before 5.6mm hole for diode.

Or did you mean something else?

HIMNL9

Can i give you a crazy idea ? :eg:

I don't have a 3D modeling program working, at the moment, so i just took part of your pic and used it as section view ..... you have to use imagination :p ..... try to imagine the orange part as a piece of brass tube, threaded externally, flat on the diode side and with slots on the other side, for screw it more easily ..... external diameter can be 8mm, internal one from 4.5 to 5 mm, lenght can be from 6 to 8 mm ..... this modification, if you can do it with your tools, can permit you to build heatsinks with still direct diode fitting, screw lock for them (easy to mount and replace), better thermal transfer from diode to heatsink (also the screw fit transfer heat, in this case, and can be used also thermal paste), and the part of the heatsink where you make the thread for the fitting tube also improve thermal transfer, remaining thicker than in the original design.

I know is a crazy idea, and for sure it will require more work ..... i just though it was crazy enough for post it as suggestion :beer:

Attachments

• crazyidea.jpg
    crazyidea.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 113
Idea is not that crazy.

Well, primarily, problem would be the heat transfer - threads on brass piece would have to be exeptionally fine to allow maximum thermal contact, otherwise it's worse than just having an Aixiz set-screwed in 12mm bored hole.

Also, I don't have any brass at the moment, not sure why you went with brass, but it's doable in aluminium too.

But yeah that takes a lot more time to make, as much as double then just having one piece heatsink.
And it's practically the same as having an Aixiz threaded into the heatsink.

Not sure how would it pay off having this kind of complicated design instead of regular one. What this direct pressfit one is, essentially Aixiz module integrated into the original heatsink. What you are proposing is, just go back to the original design, just machine my own Aixiz piece, and having it look a little different.

What do other people think about it? I'll go ahead and try to make something like that in 3D now, will post back soon.

EDIT - Here, some quick 'n Dirty work, but is this what you meant?
brass_piece.jpg

Small removable brass piece, acting as diode pocket?

Last edited:
Oh but what's the point in that? It's not a pressfit then, it's just mechanically supported. We don't want that with diodes dissipating more than 3 W of heat like powerful blurays and blues are capable of.

Hold on I'll do a render just to make sure it's that.

HIMNL9

^ No, not the aixiz design ..... i was speaking about keep the LD fitted in the heatsink with a threaded retainer, instead of pressfit it ..... all the rest remain unchanged.

My idea was basically this one:

attachment.php

bad sketck, but i have only coreldraw ..... the grey part is the section of your heatsink (not in scale), and the diode is in yellow ..... with a pressfit only, the heat path is the red one, where instead, if you add a thread locking system, the heat path become as in the second sketch ..... as principle, at least, it must be more efficent (especially if some thermal paste is used too) .

As thread, it probably must be 0.5mm thread, but there are taps and dies for this thread, and ofcourse yes, it cause more work ..... this may be a "professional" variation, but not easily produced, i agree.

Attachments

• crazyexample2.jpg
    crazyexample2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 250

jakeGT

That's an awesome price on those heatsinks!!! Ima have to get one and a camo 501b..

Also, those hosts you designed are sexy, a 2x18650 one would be INCREDIBLE too!!

anselm

jakeGT said:
a 2x18650 one would be INCREDIBLE too!!
Yeah eudaimonium, have a heart for the linear driver DIYers and people who can't seem to get
dr lava drivers: make a 2x 18650 host!

And yes with "inner diameter" I meant the space right behind the diode.
You know, just to figure out wether an aixiz back would fit as a pressing tool,
but there is obviously plenty of space.:)

Last edited:

jakeGT

Yes I need one for these awesome linear drivers I have, and two 16340s isn't cutting it!

Actually guys if you were reffering to this one:
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv263/Eudaimonium/3D Renderings/2xBatt_version.jpg

Look at the scale of the batteries... they were, unfortunately, designed for 2x16340, that is, only one 18650.

Two 18650 batteries host could eat up quite a chunk of aluminium stock, and as such would be quite expensive, I'd imagine $50-60 at least. Maybe even more.

Also HIMNL9, I see what you mean. Hmm, well it seems like too much trouble for a heatsinking efficiency increase so small it would barely be measurable... if any.

Will take everything into account, but for now, direct pressfit heatsinks as rendered are priority.

jakeGT

Yeah, I knew they would be 2x16340
For 50-60 I would def pay that for a host just like your renders, except in 2x18650 size

Well guys I didn't go through all the trouble of designing and rendering out those hosts just for sh*ts and giggles.

They will, eventually, become available.

Faster the sales go, faster I get to stock up aluminum at large, and produce a lot of different machined products at once and distribute them.

For now, the only goal is to get the business going, both for me and Radiant.

Custom hosts, copper heatsinks and brass lock designs can wait. Not too long ofcourse :) But for now, goal is to get those 20 heatsinks stocked there sold.

Excuse the lack of modesty here, but I'm very eager to actually make a change here :D

jakeGT

I wasn't trying to down play you or anything like that Eud. I didn't mean I think you should have one made ready to go right now just because I said so. i was just saying, I really really liked that host you rendered up, and I think if you ever made a 2x18650 style, I would snatch it up asap.
No disrespect intended at all. I was just admiring your work pal.