Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Alien Life

Do you think life exists outside of Earth?

• Total voters
I didn't realize there was such a large following of pulsed YAG lasers built into guns. If I had one, I'd keep it in a lab style unit. But, that's just me. :)

I bought the one I have in the chrome timing gun just to get it, I didn't really care if it was in that, my planned use isn't to keep it that way, but I will shoot it a few times before taking it apart :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I'm currently into cryptocurrency too, but I would give up everything for an validated alien signal. Science should have priority on these GPU's before the general market I believe.
But never mind.

Alaskan --
The SSY-1 likely won't fit into a STrek Phaser gun
but just barely fit into the bigger "disrupter?"gun.
There is still some room for a few more caps!
HM

I have doubts I will live to see the day a technologically advanced off-worlder will walk among us, but I'm betting that day will come. For now, seems they are keeping their distance like we do from getting too close to the gorilla cage.

Mike, now you have me thinking, wonder if there is a smaller YAG assembly than the SSY-1.

I have heard that there are small YAG lasers here. Talk of ~30mm rods.
I've never seen a photo. Likely low power!
HM

Doesn't anyone have a small passive Q switch
like used on the SSY-1? That little "pill" works
soooo well.
HM

I have not found a surplus source for Q-switches made out of acetate film sandwiched between glass, but if someone knows where to get them at a hobbyist price, I'm eager to know.

I know I've seen smaller YAGs. Getting one set up in a cavity and ready to go is the problem. I have learned so much more about the design of YAG lasers from Walter, Koechner's book. It makes much more sense if you can follow the math. Stuff in there I never even heard of before.

I had to learn how to do electronic formulas when taking a two year college course in electronics, but beyond that, I'm not so swift. That book is on the way to me though, looking forward to learning more. I have a huge ND:YAG which is 12 mm diameter and 175 mm long, maybe I will find lamps to drive it with someday, I already have a nice cavity it will fit in, it's without AR coating due to the angled cuts on the ends but now I'm talking about a huge YAG instead of the small ones I was interested in too.

Those angled cuts are Brewster's windows. That is good for a polarized beam and narrow linewidth. You will need external mirrors for it, but it could make one hell of a build.

Chris --- Watch out on high power flash tubes.. Some are high pressure made
for CW/water cooled. I got one from Merdith years ago and ended up picking
glass shards out of my face--- I'm still ugly! They gave me a refund.

The brewster angles work well when aligned. I used a small HeNe and was lucky
to get it going.
HM

Last edited: