Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Alien Life

Do you think life exists outside of Earth?

• Total voters

Encap

I think that's exactly why we're not finding anything. Even with out best radio telescopes, like the Very Large Array, we would be unable to detect a civilization equal to us any farther than 5-10 light years at best if we are just listening for incidental radio leakage.

Only way we'd detect them is if we got REALLY lucky and one of our radio telescopes was aimed at them just at the right time to pick up a signal they deliberately aimed at us. If we happen to find anyone with today's technology, it either means we got VERY lucky or they are significantly more advanced than us.

Probably our best bet in terms of near term technologies is to invest in increasingly bigger and better orbiting optical telescopes. It may then be possible to detect at great distances if a extra-solar planet has life or not just through spectral analysis of it's atmospheric composition. Wouldn't tell us if the life is intelligent or just some algae, but would certainly narrow the search by orders of magnitude and give a target for our radio telescopes.
Apparently 72.73% of LPF members responding to you poll believe "yes, intelligent life with technology and civilizations" without any shred evidence of same so --problem solved--they exist -why the need to go any further?

Why waste the money on daydreams of maybe.
Even if true it make it is pretty much meaningless anyway.
Would be much better spent doing something positive for people already on earth.
Maybe detecting and communicating with people here on earth is a better choice,

Last edited:

Bacon

I'm in the same boat as Razako; no idea. I have spent many nights wondering why there is something rather than nothing. Why does energy and forces even exist? We will never know; just get to live with it and explore it. I believe there is a reason to explore as "new" beneficial tech and understandings is often a result. It wouldn't surprise me to discover there is something out there also capable of conciseness if you believe the universe is infinitely large. the last two variables is what sucks; by the time they could release a detectable signal we might be too far apart to ever receive it.

The thought of the earth being engulfed by the sun or getting struck by something sucks; as it will likely happen, and all of mans greatest achievements and thoughts will be null. Thats why I try to be decent person to others because we only got about 70-90yrs to experience things, and it might as well be pleasant if I can help it. We might get detected one day, but there may be nothing left. :undecided:

Its also fun to think about the extreme "bat shit crazy" theories, like the Boltzmann brain. Its a very silly concept, but I love thinking about stuff like that.

Last edited:

Benm

Apparently 72.73% of LPF members responding to you poll believe "yes, intelligent life with technology and civilizations" without any shred evidence of same so --problem solved--they exist -why the need to go any further?

Why waste the money on daydreams of maybe.
Even if true it make it is pretty much meaningless anyway.
Why would it be meaningless?

Personally i believe in this option: intelligent life does exist in other places than earth. Given the size of the universe this makes perfect sense to me.

If we can detect this alien intelligent life or even make contact is a totally different question, and one i'd probably answer "not likely" to.

The problem is that the universe is actually quite large, and even the observable part of it to us is limited. Even if you could prove that no other intelligent life exists in the -observable- universe that would not mean there is none in the much larger not-observable part.

Observing life (intelligent or primordial) outside of earth would however be something very meaningful: if we find only one other place where life evolved independent of earth that would change a lot about creation myths, religion and such.

One interesting thing is that there are several moons in our solar system that could in theory have primitive life, but we have not sent the probes to verify or disprove that yet. If we ever do find evidence of life in our solar system that evolved independent of that on earth we will know that life is -very- common in the universe. The same would be true if we picked up radio signals from something as close as 1000 light years, which would make it likely that the universe is full of intelligent life as it evolved at least twice in such a tiny part of the universe.

As for the earth getting destroyed by the sun: this will certainly happen, in a few billion years. We might have some time to build vessels to escape that event... it's only been 60 years since humanity launched anything into space. Considering the time scale humanity as such has existed only for a fraction of that timeframe.