Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Alien Life

Do you think life exists outside of Earth?

• Total voters
Yep, close, 500 feet away silently hovering and snapping away into the distance in a flash, these kinds of reports aren’t very valuable to others if you didn’t see it yourself, one might question their own sanity after such an experience.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, close, 500 feet away silently hovering and snapping away into the distance in a flash, these kinds of reports aren’t very valuable to others if you didn’t see it yourself, one might question their own sanity after such an experience.

I saw something like this when I was a teenager. Broad daylight, middle of the afternoon. At first I thought it was a blimp, but really shiny like it was chromed. I watched it from ~400 or 500 feet away for several minutes then it went...zip. Like the roadrunner leaving the coyote behind in a poof of dust. Nothing WE make accelerates that fast, except for bullets. And perhaps the strangest thing was that it was completely silent. This was close to 40 years ago but I still remember it clearly. It made quite an impression!

There is just way too much out there to think we could be the only life, the almost inconceivable vastness of the universe, all the millions of galaxies, we are separated by so much space and time that we will have to literally warp the fabric of space just to get anywhere, and then if we can will we experience time dilatation in a way that going anywhere and returning would mean coming home to an Earth 1000's of years older while the traveler has only aged weeks or months?

Just the number of stars insists there must be other life, and there are planets that we cant see, but we can see their gravitational effects.

It's just very unlikely that we are the only life within all that's out there.

Razako

Honestly I have no idea. I assume there must be some kind of life out there, even if only primitive pond scum or something. With that said, I won't be convinced that aliens have actually visited us without some kind of proof or first hand experience. I put that idea in the "I want to believe" category alongside paranormal activity, bigfoot, etc.

Part of the issue is we've never even found evidence of primitive alien life, therefor we have no idea how likely the emergence of life is. Do you just add the right chemicals, add water and heat, shake and then get life? Or is it something much more complicated than that? There might be millions of habitable worlds out there where life never arose to begin with. We have no data to suggest that life is a common occurrence at the moment, nor do we even know HOW it started to begin with. Even creating a simple single cellular organism through random chance seems incredibly unlikely. You need DNA to store the information, but that DNA isn't useful for anything without the rest of the cell, and you can't get the rest of the cell without a DNA guided cell division. The ultimate chicken and the egg problem.

Last edited:
Hi, Razako. Haven't seen you around lately. Have a little rep bump for coming back. :D

Mostly just building and reviewing a 493nm laser. Next, I'm trying to finish two PWM controller boxes for the RGB lasers offered by LaserLands. Got the circuit worked out and built. It works perfectly to adjust the beam color on the fly.

Razako

Mostly just building and reviewing a 493nm laser. Next, I'm trying to finish two PWM controller boxes for the RGB lasers offered by LaserLands. Got the circuit worked out and built. It works perfectly to adjust the beam color on the fly.
Sounds fun, I still need to post a review of the 495 nm laser I got from sanwu a while back. Maybe I'll finally get the time this weekend.

Sounds fun, I still need to post a review of the 495 nm laser I got from sanwu a while back. Maybe I'll finally get the time this weekend.

Sounds great. How long have you had that 495nm laser? I've only had the diodes for a month. I'll look forward to your review. ;)

What if single cell life was clever enough to build space ships ;). I have seen a white glowing triangle in the air before though. I must have been 8-10 years old at the time so I didn't really think much of it to be honest. It was dark outside, I was at my friends house at the time as it was his birthday and I could just see it hovering really still in the air just as if someone stuck it there with glue. It looked look a tent but at the same time just a flat triangle. I asked my friend if he could see it and he could but about 10 seconds later we looked back and there was nothing there anymore. Funnily straight after this, we went inside to tell him mum and aunt and my friends aunt said it was her space ship. :crackup:. It was strange but possibly nothing.

Last edited:
these UFOs or even UFO aliens.

Most people entirely lose sight of what the "U" is for, here. 'UFO aliens' would be a contradiction.

I cannot identify it, therefore it is aliens.
I cannot identify it, therefore I can identify it.

To say "I saw something that I cannot adequately explain" is the only honest position to take with these things.

hqdefault.jpg

Benm

I think the main issue is probably distance.

If it holds true that information, let alone matter, can travel any faster than light, there could be plenty of intelligent life (on par with our standards) in the universe but we'd never know about eachother. Aslo interaction would be very difficult since it would take generations for messages or travelers to reach the other side - even if it's a reasonably close star.

If it is in another galaxy chances of contact would be virtually zero, and message transit times so long that they would have sent a message towards earth before humans were even around, and we may receive it in a year, or perhaps a million years.