Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

AaronTs Very First Build - NUBM06 Powered Wand Phaser

AaronT

Case.jpg

Phaser_B.jpg

Phaser_A.jpg

WOOO HOOO SUCCESS!!! I HAVE GOTTEN MY WAND PHASER APART WITHOUT DAMAGING IT!!!

Alright I got it apart.

The first step is to remove the "cooling fins" I used a pair of taped pliers to prevent marring and pulled firmly with just a little wiggle. Be careful to grip it about 2/3 back because the zinc could break just from grip pressure once the unit finally pops off. I used just pliers but channel locks ans vice grips could also work, just keep in mind you risk breaking the fins during removal but better than original replacements do exist.

Next grip the front of the fixed section of the nozzle adjusting ring. Turn it counter clockwise as you pull. This will result in damage to the front portion of the body where the nozzle attaches. There is no way around this damage that I can figure out. However this portion is not visible when assembled and a bit of superglue can get most of those rather small bits back in place.

At this point I popped the metal hood that sits above the IR window off with a screwdriver.

Another tricky part is figuring out how to divide the halves of the P2. This can be done by slipping a razor blade between the halves to cut these studs. Here are the cut studs marked in blue.

12_1.jpg

12_4.jpg

I want to give credit to Jon Paul (jonpaultrek2012 on ebay) for giving me the initial tips and pics I was looking for.

Now I need to order a NUBM06 in 12mm module and a Blackbuck M8.

On to Phase 2!!!

Last edited:

BobMc

Bummers, no build pics? That would be a great host to see some build pics (hint hint) and some beams shots also? Nice looking host, hope it beams as good as it looks!

Last edited:

GSS

Bummers, no build pics? That would be a great host to see some build pics (hint hint) and some beam shots also? Nice looking host, hope it beams as good as it looks!
I don't think he built it yet. Thats a $150 TV remote prop that he has some plans for.
I think he's crazy to be digging into that nice exact Star Trek real prop replica:whistle: I wouldn't on mine!
but kudos his thinking and going for it:)

Last edited:

BobMc

I don't think he built it yet. Thats a $150 TV remote prop that he has some plans for.
I think he's crazy to digging into that nice exact Star Trek real prop replica:whistle: I wouldn't on mine!
but kudos his thinking and going for it:)

Morning GSS, how's goes things? That makes sense. Building in that host, I'd kinda like to see it. I'm thinking being a real prop replica would make it even nicer, but I'm not a prop fan. Don't get me wrong I'm a trekeee for years. ( still I love love with Dianna Troy) but I think that host with a nice 06 beam coming out would be coolness .

Last edited:
@BobMc, glad to see more trekkies on here haha, huge fan of TNG.

Aaron that looks like a really fun build to put a laser in, and the case for it looks nice too. How do you plan on heatsinking the diode with the awkward shape?

BobMc

@BobMc, glad to see more trekkies on here haha, huge fan of TNG.

Aaron that looks like a really fun build to put a laser in, and the case for it looks nice too. How do you plan on heatsinking the diode with the awkward shape?

E.P, your just showing off because you knew how to spell the word Trekkies and I didn't . Heeeee . Hope all is well, take care.

Last edited:

GSS

Morning GSS, how's goes things? That makes sense. Building in that host, I'd kinda like to see it. I'm thinking being a real prop replica would make it even nicer, but I'm not a prop fan. Don't get me wrong I'm a trekeee for years. ( still I love love with Dianna Troy) but I think that host with a nice 06 beam coming out would be coolness .
Same old thing BobM:)
Who doesn't love Star Trek but i'm more of a the TOS series guy.
The funnest part of phaser build's is the phaser sound with the beam when pressing the trigger.
Was reading a little story of the beauty Dianna Troy about TNG. As soon as she wore the more reveling outfits and showed cleavage in later episodes her story lines and brains dissapeared. Still an issue in the future I guess:whistle:

AaronT

Alright guys, calm down. This is indeed "just" the host... So far.

I am a complete noob to building laser devises and figured that posting the project early would be a good way to get advice and feedback.

I am planning on using a 20mm or larger module (depends on the internal dimensions of the nose) pre wired from DTR. Basically I'll gut the nose assembly (the bezel turns and the tip moves in and out) and fit as much sink in it as I can. I have experience as a fabricator and have a drill press that I am using as a lathe. I also have 10.5mm bits and 11x0.5 mm taps so I could drill and tap a custom sink.

So in short I have the fab and mounting of the laser module figured out.

I am also getting a BlackBuck M8 driver, again all wired up with leads. I hope I can mount it in the rear of the phaser and utilize the existing metal "cooling fins" to sink the driver.

At that point I will wire the remote pot under the dial looking part just back from the nose cone. This covers a "dylithium" crystal as it sits now but I think is a great place to put a pot and use the port cover as the dial.

Now I also have a 2 x 18650 battery box that is used as a battery bank for cell phones, since the existing handle is just a solid chunk of metal this is a great place to put batteries since I pretty much want to leave the existing electronics unmodified. Well as much as possible. Also the battery box feels more comfortable than the thin metal handle, I have large hands. I hope to copy the handle mounting system and use the two retaining tabs as a plug to complete the circuit when the handle is attached.
Phaser_Handles.jpg

Power_Bank.jpg

Phaser_Power_Bank.jpg

Beyond that I just plan to put a micro switch under the trigger.

I requested an exploded view of this Phaser from wand, I have no idea how to take it apart. There are no exposed screws or anything else to indicate where to start and I can't find anything online of it taken apart.

P.S. if there is a better image hosting site I could use so everyone could see the pics let me know. I use postimage because it is easy and fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

BobMc

Same old thing BobM:)
Who doesn't love Star Trek but i'm more of a the TOS series guy.
The funnest part of phaser build's is the phaser sound with the beam when pressing the trigger.
Was reading a little story of the beauty Dianna Troy about TNG. As soon as she wore the more reveling outfit
episodes her story lines and brains dissapeared. Still an issue in the future I guess:whistle:
Same thing here. Just working and trying to earn my penny's. I've got a couple of builds waiting for me at the house so my collection should grow some. Looking forward to that. I see by your signature your a phaser fan best of luck with your collection.

Last edited:

Jhop

Cool I hope this works out well! I love TNG myself. Worf is the MAN. and Patrick Stewart is just awesome in everything hes in. (Gurney Halleck anyone)

AaronT

Cool I hope this works out well! I love TNG myself. Worf is the MAN. and Patrick Stewart is just awesome in everything hes in. (Gurney Halleck anyone)

I have several friends very interested in this build. I will likely be doing more.

A TNG phaser build might not be far off.
89922321_1.jpg

Or a Klingon Disruptor.
efd4_star_trek_klingon_disruptor_inhand.jpg

There seems to be a corner of the market for Star Trek builds that not many people are working on.

Last edited:

Pman

I was told that my personal PM or PMs showed up here somehow. I don't see anything. Can someone explain this to me please?

Sta

I was told that my personal PM or PMs showed up here somehow. I don't see anything. Can someone explain this to me please?
Who told you? It might be a troll, or someone trying to deceive you.
I have not seen any of your PMs anywhere on the forum.

They did, in BobMc's message. I saw it, but I doubt it was intentional. But I have the email with the reply that contains the PMs if you need/want more info.

Edit: just for others reading, I'm not the one who told Pman about this. Just to avoid anyone thinking this is biased. :p

Last edited: