Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

AA host renders

I've been playing around with solidworks lately and started on a laser host. I did a couple of renders of the tailcap and battery tube which is all I've made so far. Its going to be a normal pen type build and it's going to be aixiz-less. I only intend on using the lens from a aixiz module and pressing the diode directly into the host for better thermal transfer. I'll post more as I make them :D

render1.jpg

render2.jpg

render3.jpg

Here is a laser diode, I didn't make that but I like this pic so much that I made it my desktop wallpaper. If anyone wants it in full 1920x1080 resolution PM me!

laserdiode.jpg

Edit: Does anyone have the exact dimensions of the aixiz lens? The TPI would be nice too!

Last edited:

Some more, Its almost done. My computer is too slow to render the threads very fast, those three took almost 2 hours each!

hostcomplete.jpg

hostcomplete2.jpg

hostcomplete3.jpg

hostcomplete4.jpg

hostcomplete5.jpg

hostcomplete6.jpg

hostcomplete7.jpg

lensrender2.jpg

lensrender3.jpg

lensrender4.jpg

Update - I've downsized to a AAA host, it is 14.5mm in diameter. For a reference, a newwish style host is 14mm, and a CNI AAA pen host is 12mm. Its 137mm long, compared to 150mm for the CNI and ~155mm for the newwish. I made some stuff just messing around to get an inside shot. I didn't spend much time on most of those pieces because I really don't need those :p

Anyway, here are the pics...

AAAcutaway.jpg

There are no more threads, my computer was taking way too long to build them all back after every change so just pretend they are there! The only places that actually will have threads are where the lens goes, and it will take a normal Aixiz lens, and the tailcap. Everything else will be press fit.

AAAcutaway2.jpg

Here you can see a little set screw I designed to hold the aixiz lens. This way there will be no need for a focusing ring to be protruding out of the front of the laser. I can adjust the focus by turning the aperture cap. That way the front is a little neater and the lens is a little more recessed to protect it a tad more. I could put a little glass window in there to protect the lens some more too, but it won't be waterproof.

AAAcutaway3.jpg

This is a little detail of the "driver" that I cobbled together. Nothing really that special :D

AAAcutaway5.jpg

This is where the diode is pressed into. One of the major problems with a small host like this is heat, but the aixiz module does not have any heat sinking of the can at all, only the base. Since the die is in the can, I figure having the can contacting the heatsink as much as possible can only help keep heat under control. Since pressing on the diode's can is not really a good idea I plan on leaving a little space open there where either a thermal compound or thermal glue could be used. I also added the "fins" to give the heatsink a little more surface area. Waiving it around and such will move air over the fins more hopefully cooling it a little better. (I think that might not be enough air movement, but it can't hurt!) Besides more surface area means more area for heat to travel to the air, on a smaller heatsink that might not be as important but with a little thing like this it needs to go somewhere.

AAAcutaway4.jpg

Here is the endcap, I just gave it a couple of ribs to dress it up some. I plan on using the AAA lithium sized batteries, so I made the batteries blue :D

Now for a couple renders, I changed the texture from "anodized aluminum" to polished aluminum. I also added a little trim ring like the CNI lasers have.

Render1-1.jpg

render2-1.jpg

Render3-1.jpg

Render4.jpg

In all honestly, this probably will never get made. But I needed practice with autocad and the only thing I could think to make was a laser host. If anyone with a lathe wants to take a crack at this let me know. I can send you the drawings.

If anyone has any ideas or pointers (not the laser kind) please let me know. For all I know I missed something really important focusing on something stupid :p

That reminds me of the Kryton PPR, good job. Does it still take the full two hours per render for just the main design in the AutoCAD window?

No, those are pretty much instantaneous without the threads. If the threads are there it takes a good 30 seconds for everything to reappear with even the slightest rotation or new feature.

The renders, the ones at the bottom still take a good 1-2 hours. But those are done at 1920x1080 at 256AA with bloom. If anyone is curious the whole model contains more than 43k polygons. That really isn't all too much, but with the threads it jumps to somewhere around 300k polys.

I've got one going now thats only taken 1h 20m so far with about 10mins left. Fastest so far :p

I wouldn't mind lathing it. I don't want to make any commitment on the grounds that I am to busy in machine shop right now. When the semester comes to an end I would love to lathe this, or better yet, CNC.

BTW, the rendering looks amazing. I'm used to using Autodesk inventor. I didn't know in Solid Works you can have a background.

Those aren't actually done in solidworks, but photoview 360. It comes with solidworks. Its like the idiot proof rendering program, you just open a file and drag it where you want it and hit go. No worrying about lights and all that stuff. Its pretty neat actually, if your computer can handle it :D

I'll get all the drawings together if you want or the model itself even. It would be nice to know someone is making it! I would love to but they aren't my lathes, can't keep a machine busy making my stuff when there is paying work to be done :)

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

Kenom

Those do indeed look almost exactly what I had envisioned for the PPR (personal Pocket Rocket) However since I have not done any renders of the design, I can't take ownership of the host, or claim copying.

Yours has a few things I wouldn't have on mine. Like the LED or the gold ring in between the head and body. Not to mention the top is not something I would have considered in my design as i've found with experience on my Grooves, that folks like to be able to get access to the lens extremely easily and with your cap on the end, that makes it difficult to do.

My host was also designed to be a AAA host as well.. although was only meant to be used with a single 10440 battery and not 2. Needless you say, you have a very well thought out design and should you make them, I think that folks will gobble them up if they truly look as nice as your renders.

Should you feel uncomfortable making these to sell, don't. I'm pretty much retiring from the forum and baring a few hosts here and there, you won't see much more coming from me. I do plan on purchasing a lathe some time in the future and will be making my own since I have all the tools to do so (besides the lathe)

Needless to say, I have to say "GOOD JOB!" and I hope you can truly make them as stunning as your renders.
Ken

jnrpop

That is one awesome design, i would be in for one. The cni style trim is a great feature too. Would love to see a few of these being built. a possible 12x host...mmm

Interesting, but cool ;) I want the real thing!

PS: Does it have a merge feature? So you could make the one with threads, then do everything else on another model, then merge them together? The second one would be using a copy of whatever you had before the threads. I think that would make it go a lot faster.

Benm

Looks very cool, finally a host with good thermal plans... now getting it made will be something else, but it sure looks like it would perform well. Only thing is the room for the driver: that might be somewhat small, even if you omitted the LED.

I have been eyeing your design for sometime now Pontiacg5, I want it:)
I really like the brass ring in the center. Kennom and now you keep posting these awesome custom hosts. That probably will never see the light of day with out some serious $$$.

Only thing I could see being altered to help with cost and actually assembling the laser. Would be to loose the side switch, and change it to a rear clicky.

Well, I haven't asked yet but with the prices of metal and the costs for programming and running the machines these could probably be made for around $40-50 each. Some omissions or revisions could make this all cheaper, such as loosing the brass ring, using something other than aluminum, making it a "finish it yourself" host meaning it won't be buffed or polished but you could finish it yourself as you saw fit, fusing some pieces (less parts mean less programs and tool changes,) and other various changes. If I can show my boss that there is interest in such a thing and that he can make a little money I could probably get this and other hosts made. The more interest, the cheaper they will probably be. It takes some time to program and set the machines up for each part to be made. Obviously making 20 in one run instead of 5 in one run would be cheaper.

I also have a bunch of other things that might be interesting. I have a powdercoating gun and some various powder, I could powdercoat the host in all sorts of colors. I also have access to some anodizing equipment, I could anodize these in various colors as well. There is a sandblasting chamber that I can use to give them a rougher appearance or I can add some light knurling. The machining limitations are pretty much non existent!

I have a lot of stuff available, and I could make some insane stuff for the laser world if I can show that there is interest in this stuff, so if you are interested in anything like this PM me or post in this thread. Post some new ideas; different battery style hosts, different shapes, ideas for labbies, etc... If something similar to what you suggested gets made I will send you some of the profits! (there won't be too much, gotta keep this stuff cheap!)

I'm already working on some different models. I have a C-mount module in the works now that would press fit into some larger hosts that also has some provisions for an external FAC lens (possible revisions for build your own DPSS systems!) There is something similar for a 9mm diode that I am also working on. I have an idea for a red-green host that would hold a green module and beam expander, a LOC red, and all of the optics for a real nice burning yellow (if Jayrob doesn't get too mad at me for taking some ideas of his projects!)

So, lets see what we can come up with and what I can arrange. Nothing is set in stone or guaranteed yet, but I have a good feeling I can get stuff done. Thanks for all of the positive comments!!

Those are awesome! I think a pen sized water-proof design would be pretty cool. I have some ideas for it, but I dont know how you'd do the on/off switch.

It could be done with a magnetic reed switch. I could put a slide switch in a groove on the outside of the laser that would hold the magnet. Moving it up would engage the switch and moving it back would turn it off.

I don't know how I could do a focusing waterproof pen sized host, but its pretty possible with a regular non-focusing host. There would have to be less parts, so I would probably have to come up with a different way to press the diode into the host. It would most likely be easiest to use a aixiz module with driver and reed switch all assembled as one piece to be pressed in.

I'll see if I can make some designs over the weekend of a waterproof pen host :D