Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A Sterling intro

Hey everyone on LPF!

Just wanted to start things off on a good foot and introduce myself.

My name is Sterling and I'm from the San Francisco bay area. I enjoy sunset walks along the beach and warm blankets...Just kidding, hehe.

I am a full time college student and tutor working toward an M.A. in English/creative writing on path to becoming an English professor! I recently got into this addictive hobby after a fun night in an astronomy class. The professor helped us in completing a sky chart by pointing to the sky with his beautiful greenie. My memories shot to when I first saw a red laser in junior-high school, then to the first red laser I owned. I knew I had to have a greenie but wanted one more powerful than the dim one the prof had (likely about a 5mw). Through much research—mostly on this forum—I purchased an optotronics 30mw (tested at 32mw) 532nm, and LOVE IT.

I have been working on getting a nice blue laser next and have quite a bit to say about that topic, but I will save that for another post.

I do of course have many non-laser interests and hobbies, mostly expensive ones of course, but I will save those details for off-topic threads and people who ask!

Glad to be a member of this community and I'm looking forward to meeting you all!

:thanks:

Last edited:

Pman

Welcome:) You may begin to notice that a lot of our members are not around much on the weekend so things are a lot slower around here then. Still LOTS to rad up on and enjoy:)
Yeah, kind of addicting aren't they. Easy to spend and spend and spend;)

Last edited:
Sometimes, slower is nice. Everyone is out lasing instead of on the forum right? And during the work week everyone is on their work computers writing on the forum right?

Think I've got it!

:crackup:

Welcome to LPF, you will enjoy having a blue laser once you get one, they are impressive.

Alan

Welcome WG,

Great intro very good glad to have you here. Now that your in the forum we will have to watch our grammar. LOL. Anyway try building your own lasers it a great hobby if you can.
Once you make your first build you will see what i mean. Welcome again..

Rich :)

Welcome WG,

Great intro very good glad to have you here. Now that your in the forum we will have to watch our grammar. LOL. Anyway try building your own lasers it a great hobby if you can.
Once you make your first build you will see what i mean. Welcome again..

Rich :)

Thanks for the welcome! I can't wait for my sci-fi kit to arrive so I can attemptnjust that!

Cheers

Gabe

Yes, nice intro! Yer gonna get along just fine in this community. A 537nm pen, I've never seen that before? Typo er what? I don't recall DPSS lasers being able to shift wavelengths that much, never seen a higher-wavelength binned 532 before. Correct me if I'm wrong, though!

Yes, nice intro! Yer gonna get along just fine in this community. A 537nm pen, I've never seen that before? Typo er what? I don't recall DPSS lasers being able to shift wavelengths that much, never seen a higher-wavelength binned 532 before. Correct me if I'm wrong, though!

Oh, yes! 532. lol, I fixed it... That's totally what I meant...

Gabe

Ah, no biggie. That one crazy white guy, that's what my friends used to call me, too :D

Ohhhh nooooo, I'm not at work right now. lol Shhhhhhhhhh :whistle:

Welcome to the forums. Just got back from Corpus Christi and North Padre Island. I had the opportunity to point my 5mw 532nm into the ocean and out to sea. No sky pointing for me though.

Sometimes, slower is nice. Everyone is out lasing instead of on the forum right? And during the work week everyone is on their work computers writing on the forum right?

Think I've got it!

:crackup:

tonez

Hello! Great intro as mine was a bit dull. Big ups on your English professor career.

Hi that1crzywhtguy :wave:

Really nice intro!
Welcome to the forum, do poke around and see all the great stuff in the world of lasers.
Nice to see that you are expanding you collection of lasers. Be sure to use the white search bar at the bottom of the page as there is a wealth of information to see here. Enjoy, have fun and most importantly be safe.

@ Trendkilla254
Were you able to get any fish to chase the dot :D