Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A Plea for EYE Safety!!

The cones in the retina can't reset when blue light is involved.

osj82.jpg

ARG

How valuable are eyes to you?

$150 is nothing compared to priceless eyesight you cannot replace.

Why I need OD8?

Short answer: You don't.

Most goggles with high OD's have low VLT's.
Being able to see properly is also important when working with lasers.

Riddle me this"

The guy was wearing his laser glasses at all times- but he took a reflected his into his eye anyway--how could this happen?

Riddle me this"

The guy was wearing his laser glasses at all times- but he took a reflected his into his eye anyway--how could this happen?

Simple enough... poor coverage from the sides, top or bottom of the goggles.

Solution... wear goggles that surround your eyes completely :)

Almost a 100% correct answer-'G'

my next clue would have been another Q==when a laser strikes the correct eyeware where does the beam go?. That's easy its ABSORBED..
ty cyp
- so- if you take what I call an 'over-the-ear-shot' from behind- it can hit the other(INSIDE) side of your glasses and if the angle is wrong it can reflect back into your eye. so just keeping your back to the beams may not be enough 100% of the time,..unless your glasses have side shields. ( and most do)

hk

Last edited:
Now now Professor Hak... my answer is 100% correct. If the goggle edges are flush with the skin, there is nowhere for the beam to enter under/around the goggles in the first place :p

Bigger mistake that I have made, is forgetting to swap goggles, between using 445 and 650 sets :eek:

Last edited:

Pman

I will admit to having made that mistake too Infin. I felt like the worlds biggest idiot and admit it here to warn others.

Resize those pics please! Should not have to side scroll a 25" monitor. Bigger is not better here anyways as I'm not interested in counting the individual grain spots in the pic;)

Last edited:

NO4H99

Now now Professor Hak... my answer is 100% correct. If the goggle edges are flush with the skin, there is nowhere for the beam to enter under/around the goggles in the first place :p

Bigger mistake that I have made, is forgetting to swap goggles, between using 445 and 650 sets :eek:

Good to know I'm not the only one.

I apologize for necroposting.

However, I wonder how would the low optical density (OD of 5 or less) laser goggle withstand the short pulse of laser light (Q-switched laser diodes do exist but thankfully rare - for obvious reasons: $$$. Of course DPSS with that type of optical amplification method - most commonly piezoelectric optical train or specialized LCD between the crystal facet and output mirror - exist.) in term of transmission of the light through the safety goggles (percentage of the pulsed laser light vs CW laser light transmitted through chosen colored glass / plastic material used in the laser goggles). Some of those fancy laser have higher apparent brightness in the shorter time. I can be wrong, but still, like some people pointed out, dyes in the cheap laser goggles can occasionally be problematic. Just wondering out loudly.

Of course, blue lasers are now widespread in the open market (even so, Nichia won't stop you from buying their diode. However they will make you sign the safety compliance certificate - I know because I had to sign a certificate paperwork prior to buying the NVSU233A LEDs. Those UV blacklight LEDs are frighteningly powerful compared to the blacklight blue fluorescent lamps - I wound up having one in a flashlight more for fluoresence test, it can light up stuff up to 10 - 20 feet away. Still, those LEDs commands respect. Blacklight 380 - 340 nm laser diodes are also far more dangerous than the Blu-ray Disc 405nm laser diodes, mainly because they emit surprisingly harsh UV light (365nm looks like harsh purple to me) and they tend to mess up the eyesights easily) - it doesn't mean you can fool around with one. Worse yet, you can still buy the multi-watts Infrared laser diodes, they are SO notorious for emitting scary amount of Infrared lights which can easily burn stuff if you're not careful (you can't see it at all - well, some peoples can, including me - and I still strongly recommend you to use laser goggles specially made for the IR lasers).

Funnily enough, Casio have started soldering the diodes into the heatsink in their projectors, making it almost impossible to extract the blue diodes, it just take a lot of risk-taking and patience to rip them out intact.

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

I totally agree with you I might be 14 years old but I have a damn brain in my head here are some of my personal rules:
1rts I don't let ANYONE use my lasers(200mw homemade red 100mw green and 2.2w homemade M140 based) Except me and I always store my lasers without batteries and if I leave it in the open I take the batteries(18650)(Good luck powering my lasers with AAA's bc as a safety feature I have a step down driver in every laser I build which does not turn on if the voltage is less than 7-8 voltsA)
2ond
I don't shoot the lasers at people planes Etc and I will only use them in the open at my house in my village which has 10-15 acres of private land and if I use them inside my house I will make sure to use proper safety precautions
3rd I always wear PROPER safety goggles (survival lasers eagle eye 190-540 nm OD6 and the190-400 and 580-760 OD4+ ones) not the eBay "lemme burn your eyes out sunglasses"
4th I ask anyone near me to move at least 1-5 meters(Everyone that I have not any goggles for) and I always power my laser in a direction that is not facing any humans or animals

Last edited:

Giannis_TDM

It happens to all of us ;)
Yeah I mean like my friend go to almost blinded because she didn't want to wear the goggles thankfully I turned the laser off in the nick of time this event scared her and now she does not get my into my room before I give her the goggles(I have 2 pairs both OD6 from survival lasers and one OD4+ for red lasers) Guys always wear goggles.