Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A-140 vs. M-140 vs. H1600

daguin

There has been a bit of speculation about the "efficiency" difference between the diodes from the different models of projector

e.g. http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/amazing-m-140-445nm-diode-69195.html

Well there is a good reason for this.

The (older?) A-series used a different diode than the M series and the H series. We will need to find a recently manufactured A-series to see if they have switched to the newer diode or not

I recently bought an H-series for my home projector use.
The projector arrived with some physical damage.
I made a deal with the seller for the broken one and bought a second
That allowed me to have diodes from both the H-series and the A-series on hand.
DTR provided me with a M-series diode

Please forgive my horrendous macro-photography skills
My lack of photography skills is legendary

On the can side, there is no difference in the diodes.
The cans are all plain and devoid of markings

The differences begin to show on the back of the can

***************************A-series********************************M-series******************************H-series***********
diode1.jpg

diode2.jpg

The M and H series diodes have a "spot/circle" above the square code
The info inside the square code is different as well, but that may also cover batch, date, etc.

The difference is OBVIOUS once we get inside
Yes My macro sucks.
However, you can make out the difference AND I have provided a hand drawing of what you are looking at

A-series
diodea.jpg

M and H series
diodemh.jpg

Here's what you are looking for
diodediag.jpg

The A-series diodes have three contacts spread evenly across the die from both posts

The M and H series diodes have four contacts. The contacts on one side are spaced with three at the top of the die and one at the bottom of the die from one post.
The four contacts, from the other post, are evenly spaced

It looks like I'll be dumping the few A-series diodes I have left :(

Peace,
dave

Hiemal

Dag, I thought you said the H series ones were the same as the others... D:

I probably would've gotten one then. :(

So it would be safe to assume the M-140 diodes are basically the exact same as H-1600 and therefore is safe to assume further, that they both have same efficiency ranges?

daguin

Dag, I thought you said the H series ones were the same as the others... D:

I probably would've gotten one then. :(

I said that the M and the H series diodes were the same. This just proves what I said

So it would be safe to assume the M-140 diodes are basically the exact same as H-1600 and therefore is safe to assume further, that they both have same efficiency ranges?

It is NOT "efficiency."
The M and the H series diodes are, most probably, more powerful diodes.
We have yet to test the limits of the M and H series diodes

We also do not know if the more recently manufactured A-series projectors are using the new diode

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
There has been a bit of speculation about the "efficiency" difference between the diodes from the different models of projector

e.g. http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/amazing-m-140-445nm-diode-69195.html

Well there is a good reason for this.

The (older?) A-series used a different diode than the M series and the H series. We will need to find a recently manufactured A-series to see if they have switched to the newer diode or not

I recently bought an H-series for my home projector use.
The projector arrived with some physical damage.
I made a deal with the seller for the broken one and bought a second
That allowed me to have diodes from both the H-series and the A-series on hand.
DTR provided me with a M-series diode

Please forgive my horrendous macro-photography skills
My lack of photography skills is legendary

On the can side, there is no difference in the diodes.
The cans are all plain and devoid of markings

The differences begin to show on the back of the can

The M and H series diodes have a "spot/circle" above the square code
The info inside the square code is different as well, but that may also cover batch, date, etc.

The difference is OBVIOUS once we get inside
Yes My macro sucks.
However, you can make out the difference AND I have provided a hand drawing of what you are looking at

Here's what you are looking for
diodediag.jpg

The A-series diodes have three contacts spread evenly across the die from both posts

The M and H series diodes have four contacts. The contacts on one side are spaced with three at the top of the die and one at the bottom of the die from one post.
The four contacts, from the other post, are evenly spaced

It looks like I'll be dumping the few A-series diodes I have left :(

Peace,
dave

Thanks for that...
It looks like the M and H series can handle more current
if the die wires are the same diameter...

Jerry
(11900-458-40759)

Last edited:

Hiemal

Well, I got my A140 diode from Mendnwngs a few months ago and he got his from a projector share buy. (him and another person bought it together; split the price in half basically)

I've checked inside of it and there are still 3 contacts on each side, so I'm pressed to say that they are not switching them out.

Last edited:
Sucks for those of us who just recently purchased the lesser diodes for pretty much the same price as DTR has been selling the better ones :/

Glad my latest order were some Ms and not As...

Well, I got my A140 diode from Mendnwngs a few months ago and he got his from a projector share buy. (him and another person bought it together; split the price in half basically)

I've checked inside of it and there are still 3 contacts on each side, so I'm pressed to say that they are not switching them out.
That would depend on the Manufacturing date not
the date the projector was delivered..

Sucks for those of us who just recently purchased the lesser diodes for pretty much the same price as DTR has been selling the better ones :/

Yeah that really sucks... buying a 1Watt Laser Diode for ~$50.00
I remember not long ago buying new Xboxes to harvest 100mW
405nm LDs...:whistle:

Man are we spoiled or what...:na:

Jerry

Last edited:

daguin

Thanks for that...
It looks like the M and H series can handle more current
if the die wires are the same diameter...

Jerry

In deference to my poor photography skills, I examined them here with a 30-power jeweler's loop.
The wires "look" to be the same.
There are just one more of them (per side) in the M and H series and they are positioned differently

The important info would be when it was MADE, not when it was bought ;)

The A-series diodes are still GREAT diodes.
They are capable of well over 1W.
Most hobbyists, who are limited to the commercially available drivers, batteries, and switches, can't drive the newer diodes with the current they need anyway.

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Hey dag, those A-140 diodes I bought of ya from that firesale, were they made recently or ?

Also, think those will be safe running them at 1.62A? If so, how much mW should I expect them to put out? (dont need precise answer here obv lol)

Last edited:

daguin

Hey dag, those A-140 diodes I bought of ya from that firesale, were they made recently or ?

Also, think those will be safe running them at 1.62A? If so, how much mW should I expect them to put out? (dont need precise answer here obv lol)

I don't have the records in front of me

When did you buy them?

Peace,
dave

If it can help, I bought a diode from dag about 1-2 weeks before the firesale, and it's a standard A model, with the 3 wires. Unlike the M/H

Last edited:
I don't have the records in front of me

When did you buy them?

Peace,
dave

Perhaps 2 weeks ago in that Paypal sale you had. And from experience, I'm trying to get a rough idea of the efficiency and how much current these can take.

daguin

Perhaps 2 weeks ago in that Paypal sale you had. And from experience, I'm trying to get a rough idea of the efficiency and how much current these can take.

I checked Google Checkout. It looks like you bought the last of the A-series I had at the time.

In any event, they should be fine at 1.6mA.

How much you get out of the diodes will vary based on the efficiency of the individual diode and the optics you are using

At 1.6A, it should be in excess of 1W, maybe even 1.5W

Peace,
dave

DTR

From what I have been told there have not been any A series projectors produced in months since they announced that they were discontinuing the model. Despite that they are still for sale on many sites but I have been told they are just running through remaining stock Ca$io has not producing them. They do however have a new slimline model that will be released here soon that is the XJ-A141 and it is possible that it may contain these new diodes but from the pricing I have seen it will still be more economical to go with the M140's.

On the M VS H there still may be the same effect we saw with the A130 VS A140's. Higher binned diodes may be used in the H series. There is still a lot of info that is needed to answer that question definitively.