Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

9mm kryton

My latest 2 cents; Without pictures (from either the buyer nor the seller) of the condition of the questioned parts then the fault is 50-50. if the buyer or seller can provide legitimate photos of the diode when shipped or recieved then this would push or sway fault to one side or the other. without pictures its word against word, which in this case is nothing against nothing thus 50-50 IMO.

let the opinions flow from the two parties and PED :D

I thought Jander made a very reasonable suggestion:

At this point fellas take it to the PMs until there is a need for a dispute thread to be opened, and both of you know where that subforum is this could be a he said she said that could be better resolved without outside banter.

let the opinions flow from the two parties and PED :D

No need for any more drama or pot stirring...:tsk::beer:

Last edited:

ped

Ok , if both parties want the thread closed, that's what I'll do.

oh wasnt talking pot stirring or anything, meant more opinions on the photographic evidence idea. that is the only way to provide proof of condition on receipt and sending

The end of he day the diode is dead whether it be the buyer the seller, the postman/milkman, the next door neighbors cat. If your both willing to go 50/50 cant that be the end of it ? and no more be said about it ?

Last edited:

DTR

The dent on the diode can I have seen in the past caused by the lens being wrenched down on it. This could have happened at any time and can sometimes cause the window to break.

On the moh drivers dropping current from what I have experienced is the result of the current set resistors not being heatsinked and heating up. The builds I have done in the past with that driver I have sinked both the IC and the resistors. While the IC does produce the most heat from dropped voltage the resistors can get smoking hot as well if not sinked. This changes their resistance and will cause the unit to drop current till they can cool down.

This is the only picture I could find on short notice and is kind of a proof of concept I did to show it work as this was a Moh linear running a 500mW 635 diode for a customer using a 5V power supply. @ 5V it did not need any sinking on the IC to run continuously but the resistors kept overheating dropping the current down to zero after 30 seconds till I put a copper sink on them and then it ran just fine.

loxy.jpg

This certainly is an unfortunate situation. There are clearly build quality issues but there is also the decision to open the unit and make modifications instead of return it. Neither would be acceptable in a more conventional transaction. Tough call. Anyway I have working transactions with both members so maybe I can find a way to make the butthurt sting a little less.;)

ped

That would be great Jordan if you could work something out.

Community spirit :)

Thanks Guys.
Some pretty decent people on this forum.
Many thanks DTR. for your offer.
Cheers for the work PED

Nice work Ped and really that was really generous donating a flex! :bowdown:

Also that was a great way to sort out the ground...just hope the ground screw ponies dont see it! lol ;) big +1 for helping them sort this out! :beer:

WOW looking very neat nice work Ped very much appreciated ..
looking forward to it.
sorry for delay in replying ..

LaZeRz

Excellent work Ped! It's really nice to see that the generous spirit of LPF has not faded away :)

ped

Just an update on this.

For the past month its been busy in work so not had much time :/

Wasn't sure what to do about the driver as it was toast, So I've donated a new Dr Lava Flexdrive v5 , as well as a decent Sanyo 18650 to the rebuild.

Iv'e re buffed the backside of the diode mount to get rid of the scratches..

Anyway some pictures..

This is how it looked when it got to me...

2v2xkiu.jpg

The reworked head..

2624mko.jpg

And here it is re worked & buffed with the diode CORRECTLY press fitted, leads soldered and heat shrunk wrapped..

157hohz.jpg

Also, I didn't like the way the driver was grounded, with wires poking out "touching" the barrel..

So I took a more electrically sound route..

I drilled a 2mm hole in the internal rim

2e5ikbp.jpg

And chose a suitably short screw which doesn't poke through to the other side and attached the silicone wire..

2w3ztsi.jpg

Now THATS a solid connection.

I'll get it assembled early next week when the Arctic Silver has dried on the FlexDrive heatsink.

Thanks for reading.
------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

Hi guys, well the laser is now completed and on its way back to its rightful owner.

Continuing on from the earlier post this is the work that was carried out, not including what was done in the previous post.

After supplying & fitting an X-Boost blank that was gifted to me..

ip1o9v.jpg

I mounted the MicroFlexDrive V5 was soldered to the lead's and a piece of copper was arctic silvere'd to the main IC.

bgxlsh.jpg

I cut a piece of copper to the shape of the Kryton barrel and arctic silver'd that to the inside wall. 24 hrs later I glued the flexdrive in place..

zxlmrp.jpg

Connected it all up and even with the correct resistors soldered and the pot maxed out, I was getting around 600mW ?? , obviously dissatisfied with
this , and having glued it all in place, it all had to come out again, that'll teach me not to power test before mounting the heatsink! .

So I used my last, treasured X-Boost mini V7 which I've been saving for a special occasion , and helping a member in distress is such an
occasion, so, in it went..

The Driver..

xee5bs.jpg

Soldered in place for TESTING , before being mounted & glued! :p

It peaked at 1.7W then settled down to 1.6W and stayed solid.

mn2tjn.jpg

Mounted..

2ekm26p.jpg

And that's the buisness end taken care of..now.. a few things bugged me so in an OCD fuelled state, I had to sort them out..

First the focus issue, then lens was too far away from the diode so I cut a spacer and fitted it in front of the lens. There is a plasic
part to it as well which is just out of shot..

2m2xpab.jpg

And, in the focus head..

2l8kpea.jpg

After the usual teflon tape, it now focus's like a boss.

Then onto the tailswitch..the circlip was too small and slack and causing intermittent operation..

9tcuuw.jpg

Soon sorted that out

zssg3a.jpg

And that's that.

Now, it's been crazy busy in work so I had to fit this project around my work life, as such, I neglected to get pictures of the completed
laser, however, I'm sure ya'll know what a Kryton looks like :p .

And just for the hell of it I supplied a few extra's for its proud owner.

Happy lasing MidnightTattoo.

Ped

Last edited:
Lovely work .Im really looking forward to it .
I think I have a driver I can send you.
I owe you BIG style PED

Last edited: