Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

8X Diode Murder fund

IgorT

HIMNL9: Yes, that's what i meant... Degradation is exponential the entire time, as damage accumulates (the more damage there is, the more additional damage it can cause by putting "pressure" on the areas around it, as it forms hot-spots). At a certain point enough damage accumulates, to take the diode down in a split second. Even that last moment follows an exponential curve, but for us it seems instantaneous, and usually happens at powerup...
I'm pretty sure the MURDER Experiment Diodes will die at a powerup, it's even possible that the sensor will detect the last optical pulse that kills the diode, even tho i wouldn't see it, if i happened to watch at that moment..

Bryce: Let's not give up hope just yet! I was the most worried, when i went to sleep last night... I feared the diode would not survive the night, but i woke up and it was happily hammering away at the sensor, with the counter showing 900+ counts!

Please keep in mind, that EVEN IF this diode would only last for 20h or so, it was not one of the weakest of the group, it was not even part of the group! All the others formed a tightly knit bundle, while this one stood appart - it was an "outsider".. And that usually means something!

However.....

We are at 15 hours 21 minutes ON-Time! :yh:​

I stopped the Cycler for a re-plotting... I'm sure it will show an even larger drop than before, but..
This diode was the weakest possible 8x, and yet it already survived over 15h of constant ON/OFF toggling! :yh:

I am slowly becoming optimistic, altho i dare not say anything, cos i don't want to jinx it.. :angel:
Scratch that! I'm NOT optimistic, i'm HORRIBLY pessimistic... :evil:

Last edited:

daguin

I'm sad to see those results :(

Hopefully it will last for a few more days.

These are not "results." This is watching the pot waiting for it to boil. It does not help much to speculate DURING an experiment. During an experiment one simply records. Results are only available after the experiment is done. AFTER one has results, THEN one attempts to derive knowledge from them.

IgorT is driving himself crazy simply by having the experiment where he can hear and see it ;) EVERY "click" is a stressor when you can hear it.

Peace,
dave

IgorT

These are not "results." This is watching the pot waiting for it to boil. It does not help much to speculate DURING an experiment. During an experiment one simply records. Results are only available after the experiment is done. AFTER one has results, THEN one attempts to derive knowledge from them.

IgorT is driving himself crazy simply by having the experiment where he can hear and see it ;) EVERY "click" is a stressor when you can hear it.

Peace,
dave

Haha, indeed, i had to remove the Torture Chamber out of my visual and auditory range... :D

I wasn't worried what my neighbours would think about the diode screams, but i should have been worried about my nerves and the relay clicking sounds.. :crackup:

Instead of turning around with every other click, i now have a reminder, which only beeps every 10h for me to go make another degradation plot...

And while i don't want to speculate before an experiment is done, i still have to admit, that i'm happy we got to 1000 average usage cycles with the weakest diode still alive! :yh:

The next diode will be screaming much longer than this one, and hopefully with that one once a day re-plotting will be enough! :whistle:

daguin

Haha, indeed, i had to remove the Torture Chamber out of my visual and auditory range... :D
I wasn't worried what my neighbours would think about the diode screams, but i should have been worried about my nerves and the relay clicking sounds.. :crackup:
Instead of turning around with every other click, i now have a reminder, which only beeps every 10h for me to go make another degradation plot...
And while i don't want to speculate before an experiment is done, i still have to admit, that i'm happy we got to 1000 average usage cycles with the weakest diode still alive! :yh:
The next diode will be screaming much longer than this one, and hopefully with that one once a day re-plotting will be enough! :whistle:

I am happy as well AND I like your thinking. :D

MFO has started something that might get a 12X in your hands for after these tests are done :whistle:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/12x-murder-fund-45355.html

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

..... and, instead kills your nerves at each click, you can also attach a beeper (or an ambulance siren, or also a "dead call" bell, if you prefer :p) to the torture chamber, so the first time it turn on and the diode don't turn on, you're advised ..... :D

LOL, using an MP3 sound of a funeral bell, with a "requiem" gregorian choir in background, for this, can also scare enough your neighbors, too :crackup:

Peace,
dave

Yea I guess I was jumping the gun. The anticipation is killing me, but I'm sure it's the same with most of us, especially Igor. Good thing you can't hear each click, wouldn't want you going postal, unless it's registered priority of course :)

IgorT

Good thing you can't hear each click, wouldn't want you going postal, unless it's registered priority of course :)

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Good one... :D

P.S. I'm recording a plot right now, then continuing the torture.

Last edited:

daguin

Wow, what? :eek:
I better go buy more coffe... :undecided:
Well, now that the Torture Chamber is fully functional it's just re-plotting twice a day... Hmm..
Ok, ok, if i have to.. :whistle:

You built it. :san:

Now we are going to abuse it. :D

Peace,
dave

IgorT

I just typed in the 15h degradation data, but for some reason the numbers are no different than the 10h numbers.. :thinking:

I did let the diode cool off for longer today, but i made sure the temperature was the same, i even checked that Vf was the same (since it responds to heat faster than any thermometer can)..

But the new plot overlaps the old one!

It's as if degradation slowed down! I don't understand it, it doesn't make much sense, but that's what i'm seeing...

However, this could be good news! I mean, the previous fast degradation worried me a little. But a whole night of cycling didn't change it enough for me to be able to measure it...

If the diode can keep this up, it might go on for a few more days!

Let's see what another 10h of cycling will do....

IgorT

You built it. :san:

Now we are going to abuse it. :D

Peace,
dave

"It"? :undecided:

Oh man, what did i do... :undecided:

I created a monster, and it's gonna eat me in my sleep.
No, scratch that, it's just gonna eat my sleep... :whistle:

IgorT

..... and, instead kills your nerves at each click, you can also attach a beeper (or an ambulance siren, or also a "dead call" bell, if you prefer :p) to the torture chamber, so the first time it turn on and the diode don't turn on, you're advised ..... :D

LOL, using an MP3 sound of a funeral bell, with a "requiem" gregorian choir in background, for this, can also scare enough your neighbors, too :crackup:

I am actually adding something, that will notify me when it's over. (And no it's not a siren! I'm under enough stress as it is... :D)

However it's made in a way, that when it's over the counting stops by itself anyway, so it's not a problem if i miss it....
Has to be like that, cos i can't be around all the time, and it could go while i sleep (it happens sometimes :whistle:)...

P.S. In any case, the diode is happily cycling away, i'll re-plot it after another 5h of ON-Time, for now i see no point in posting overlapping plots....

Last edited:
What current are the diodes being tortured at ? (I guess the answer is in the thread but the thread has 25 pages ..)

David

daguin

What current are the diodes being tortured at ? (I guess the answer is in the thread but the thread has 25 pages ..)

David

You don't need to read all 25 pages. Just scroll backward until you find your answer (hint = it is at the top of this page ;) )

Peace,
dave

IgorT

Yea with the size of IgorT's posts, CTRL+F is a must

:crackup:

And i was just about to post something... :yabbem:

Heck, i'm still going to...

I have to say, it's a good feeling to see 1000+ counts on the display! :yh:

attachment.php

The pic was taken at 17h15m ON-Time (over 40 hours total inquisition time, with breaks and re-plotting interruptions)..

Right now we're at 17:41 total ON-time... :beer:

If you use your laser three times a day on average and observe a duty cycle, this is already a year of use!
Of course actual average "normal" laser use is very hard to estimate! I'm thinking i should try to jam at least one of those time recorders into one of my lasers, and preciselly calculate how much i use my favorite lasers on average...

The most interesting thing would be if i could put them in some of the lasers i make for others, and then after a certain amount of time get them back and read off the actual usage time.

I wonder if Zom-B still has any of these available, and if any of the 8x GB participants would be willing to participate in an experiment like that!
With some of the larger lasers, the time recorders would be easy to incorporate (and easy to remove by the user without having to return the entire laser)...

In any case, i have to say these diodes are pretty tough!

I'm staying up approximatelly until three in the morning to make a 20h degradation plot...

Attachments

• Torture Chamber - 17h15m ON-Time.JPG
    Torture Chamber - 17h15m ON-Time.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 413
Last edited: