Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

7.1W 450nm Gravity power Adjustment Maglight OLED screen, TEMP, Current ++

OVNI

Re: 6.35W 450nm Gravity power Adjustment Maglight OLED screen, - Multiple Sensors &

Sorry if this is a 'dumb question'. What does the accelerometer do and how are you using it?

RDTech

Re: 6.35W 450nm Gravity power Adjustment Maglight OLED screen, - Multiple Sensors &

Sorry if this is a 'dumb question'. What does the accelerometer do and how are you using it?
I was told by my Drill sergeant A long time ago that there were "No Dumb Questions"

The Accelerometer measures the force of gravity against the position of the maglight. When the sensor detects a move to the Left it decreases an integer in the microprocessor telling the internal DAC to turn the laser output down, in contrast, to the right (or twist to right) brings laser current up until it reaches maximum (6.3W)

It basically acting as a gravity controlled variable switch attached to the laser driver.

M

OVNI

I was told by my Drill sergeant A long time ago that there were "No Dumb Questions"

Thanks. I've heard lots of people say that over my lifetime but alas only some behave that way.

I understood accelerometers measured G-force but couldn't connect the dots on your application. So with the OLED facing away from you, CCW is 'left' and CW is 'right'? Does twisting faster cause faster power adjustment or is it based on the amount of travel?

RDTech

Correct on orientation.
CCW decrease
CW increase

I thought of having multiple (proportional)speed changing, using the accelerometers' other axis for limiting how high of an angle the laser could be pointed as a safety from pointing upward at anything bad. I had lots of ideas, put some in the programming, others nope.

Very nice, who bought this, if I might know?

Its amazing good job ~ :whistle:

Last edited:

Mitch is constantly amazing me with his unique builds-aside from Tunedcavity (Joe in Toranto) Mitch's builds are 'one-ofs' built completely from scratch-met with Mitch twice while in Florida picked up a sweet 405 burner he made from a VERY nice security camera host-- sadly it was 'stolen' from me...hak

I'd like to catch someone stealing like that, just once.... maybe end up in jail myself. Hak, what security camera host was used, is there a way to link to it so I can see what it is?

Last edited:

Amazing job. :beer:

Pman

Yes, never seen anyone build like this. Kills me that to you this all sounds so simple lol

Benm

It's pretty cool to get uC tech in there. I'm sure it'll easily fit the enclosure, but milling out a viewport for the display that nicely is proper work!

As for the accelerometer: I would consider reprogramming it's function. You could use it to detect motion and shut off the laser if that suddenly happens. I'm thinking off a situation where you have the laser positioned on a table and it rolls off.

Shutting off the laser will not do much to reduce damage to the laser itself, but could prvent accidents from the beam going in random direction when falling.

RDTech

Very nice, who bought this, if I might know?
Nobody bought it. I just kept it around. Played with it some more.. Its now putting out 7.1W or so.. Changed the settings a bit to make it go on faster and go down slow.. As before, I can still personalize the start logo ..

Still for sale.. Make me a reasonable offer AK.

It is a very different project from what we usually see around here. Definitely has all the bells and whistles. I like it, but couldn't really justify the price for the extras. Still, +Rep.

is it focus-able? how did u get the output higher? Did u swap the diode or lens or something?

Nobody bought it. I just kept it around. Played with it some more.. Its now putting out 7.1W or so.. Changed the settings a bit to make it go on faster and go down slow.. As before, I can still personalize the start logo ..

Still for sale.. Make me a reasonable offer AK.

Did not see your post until today, sorry I missed it. I would like it, but have my money going into another project right now :(

RDTech

I just hollowed out the lens holder so NO light is "clipped" It already uses a NUBM44 diode so it wasn't much of push. Not everyone realizes that when they just bring up the current to any laser with the lens already attached, there is still attenuation fom the lens. The microprocessor has a 3.3v DAC in it, but the driver uses 5V, so I just added a 5V DAC to the circuit.

BobMc

If this is still up for sale I'd like to make and offer on it ? Spending pm.