Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6x vs 8x abilites

I had a 6x for a day and a half then the positive connector at the diode side of the flexdrive contacted something in the casing... ouch! That's what I get for not insulating the driver from the rest of the flashlight. Now my flexdrive4 puts out only half the voltage coming from the battery. I really hope I didn't kill my diode but I have another on the way plus a spare flexdrive v2 so I'll be back in business soon. I will say I enjoyed the power of a 6x at 195mw. Very visible beam with no smoke and burned like crazy. Especially black leather and those black plastic phone cords. It also burned the cloth on a maroon colored chair that is in my cubicle from about 3 feet away. I managed to smoke some light cardboard from around 10 feet. I've been considering a Pioneer BDR-803 drive myself since they're only around $200 right now. An 8x in a Jayrob side button host pumping out around 400mw+ thru a 405-G-1 lens would be really nice. Drlava said that he is working on a new driver that will handle up to 7 volts so I am going to wait for now.

jayrob

I had a 6x for a day and a half then the positive connector at the diode side of the flexdrive contacted something in the casing... ouch! That's what I get for not insulating the driver from the rest of the flashlight. Now my flexdrive4 puts out only half the voltage coming from the battery. I really hope I didn't kill my diode but I have another on the way plus a spare flexdrive v2 so I'll be back in business soon. I will say I enjoyed the power of a 6x at 195mw. Very visible beam with no smoke and burned like crazy. Especially black leather and those black plastic phone cords. It also burned the cloth on a maroon colored chair that is in my cubicle from about 3 feet away. I managed to smoke some light cardboard from around 10 feet. I've been considering a Pioneer BDR-803 drive myself since they're only around $200 right now. An 8x in a Jayrob side button host pumping out around 400mw+ thru a 405-G-1 lens would be really nice. Drlava said that he is working on a new driver that will handle up to 7 volts so I am going to wait for now.

That would be a sweet build in the side button host. pseudolobster built a couple of 8X builds in that host...

I'm using the default setting which is 25 posts per page, unless I miscounted. The selections through the CP allow for 10 through 40 posts in 10 post increments.

I do believe you have hit the nail on the head! I have mine set for 25 posts per page as well.

Jerry, you must have your settings set for more posts per page...
Jay

jayrob

dam jay i wish my shop was that clean lol

Oh... you mean in the beam shots? It's not always that clean, but I do make a habit of cleaning up each time I work.

I have another beam shot that I took today:

(beam shot with some smoke)
key22.jpg

Details of my Key Chain build here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?p=475096#post475096
Jay

Last edited:
I am using one of his high powered lens' with custom brass assembly. I was playing around with white paper and at 350mA (440mW) and this laser burns through white paper instantally without being focused. I turned the current up to 420mA (unknown mW Output) and it was burning through white paper like it didn't exist. Very Glad I got this diode back in perfect working condition. Can't wait till I get my custom host finished.

And you made me stop @ 350ma .....

looking at my test numbers....

420ma should = 532mw

Did that power warm up the heatsink ??

LarryDFW

Last edited:
MW -- Let us know how long it lasts at 420 mA... I toasted my first 8x at about that power. I'm happy at 365 mA now !

Mike

Big ants started attacking my house tonight. Ant spray and an 8x won the war. !!They can run but they can't hide !!!

Mike

haha that's hilarious! Did they just shrivel up? Or did they get all crispy? For serious, I'm curious..

dem Ants

Big ants started attacking my house tonight. Ant spray and an 8x won the war. !!They can run but they can't hide !!!

Mike

Yes EAT PHOTONS you dirty wood chewing vermin !!! :gun: they do the same here at my house in the forested area I live in. I get my 6X after them it makes em run like crazy, me thinks I need to turn it up though it's running at 175Ma with 133Mw through an acrilic lens. realy needs and new lense !

Peace All Pyro...:eg: