Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6x vs 8x abilites

Alright all you 8x burner owners. Right now I'm considering the purchase of either a 6x diode for burning, or an 8x diode from a sled, for burning. So when comparing the ~250mw 6x diode to the ~350mw 8x diode, what are some of the even tiny detailed differences you 8x owners see in the performance of your 8x vs any 6x diodes you've owned. I don't want more numbers, we have all the numbers. What about beam visibility, thickness, focal distances. What about the 8x burning abilities? What can the 8x burn that the 6x can't? Share some of your personal experiences with these differences. Lets have this space to define the differences and similarities of these violet burners.

Thanx!

-Tyler

Aside from the numbers, I learned not to reach into the beam to focus the 8x -- OWCH. Comparison pictures have been posted and for burning, the 8x burns white paper if focused. Be sure to get a G1 lens.

Mike

I've just posted an answer on the other Forum where you asked the same Question...:whistle:

BTW... its like asking the difference between a Porsche Boxter and a 911 Turbo
The main deifference besides the performance is the $$$$$$$$...

Jerry

Thanks Mike... so what you're saying is... a 250mw 6x with a properly focused 405 G-1 lens can't burn white paper then? Only the 8x?

haha thanks laserbee. :)

8x

It all about money, you know the advantages of an 8x, there is info. all over about theses diodes. If you want to spend more money, you get more power, its that simple.
For a lens I recommend LarryDFW, he has a thread in buy/sell/trade. He has a fully machined brass assembly which has high quality threads, which are essential for good focusing. Costs a few dollars more but I think its worth it.

I just tried my 6x on white paper.... No Smoke
The 8X smokes RIGHT NOW !! Both have Jayrob's G1 lens installed
If you have the $, go 8x.

Mike

I just tried the 6x again and got a little smoke. The 8x can draw a 1/4" cutout in a couple seconds.

Last edited:
whoa thats a big difference in burning power! Thanks for doing that Mike! What are your optical power outputs on your builds?

You will be blown away by the 8x !!!! One guy asked me what the beam feels like !!!!
YOUCH.....

Mike

With a Kryton (and a small DX host with Aixiz) I run 365 mA using a Lavadrive V4.
No sweat driver.

Mike

jayrob

The burning power of the 8X is unbelievable! The beam shows up much brighter with a camera. Brighter to the eye as well. But honestly, not a whole lot of difference visually.

I will tell you this, once you have tried an 8X, you will be completely spoiled on power! :)

That said, you will still be able to burn white paper using my 405-G-1 glass lens mod... even a PHR can burn white paper with the 405-G-1. It's just that with the 8X, it is instantaneous!:D

(Beam shot comparisons with smoke)
BDR%20beam1.jpg

BDR%20beam3.jpg

A good reference post, is this graph of the known 8X owners. (compiled and updated by FrankoRob)
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=36790&page=16#393
Jay

Last edited:
I just finished my 8X build this past Monday. Purchased a new BDR-203 drive, V4 flex drive and jayrob G1 glass. My outputs are pretty close to Mike's numbers. I made a plastic thumb focus adjuster to fit the G-1 glass. I machined this out of a thumb cap made for a hex cap screw. I machined my heatsink to the same diameter. It saves the fingers. I must admit I said to myself as I broke open the new Pioneer drive. "What are you nuts? This was $200 bucks and has never been used!" I am pleased with the results.:D

Attachments

• P4140002.jpg
    P4140002.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 94

AdamR

adamr-pgp-key-note-lasered.png

^ burnt with a 6x blu-ray in a Kryton. It was doing about 200mW.