Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6X GGW-H20L at 300ma

Alright 190mA I will run it at :) . But I am using a different driver system in which I set the voltage myself. So what should I set the voltage to to run it?

pianoman2011 said:
Alright 190mA I will run it at :) . But I am using a different driver system in which I set the voltage myself. So what should I set the voltage to to run it?
IIRC 5.5V
But don't take my word for it. Ask Dave ;)

Spyderz20x6 said:
[quote author=pianoman2011 link=1236019127/16#16 date=1236235558]Alright 190mA I will run it at :) . But I am using a different driver system in which I set the voltage myself. So what should I set the voltage to to run it?
IIRC 5.5V
But don't take my word for it. Ask Dave ;)[/quote]

I got sneekerd at for asking the mV. Sorry if I was wrong but even if I heard it wrong it is working with the DVM over a 1 Watt
resistor . 1mV=1mA. This is what I've read over in this forum time and time again. Is this misinformed or just mistakin.
either way I've tested and retested and found this statement is true. <sneerk>. :cool:

jander6442 said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1236019127/16#17 date=1236236412][quote author=pianoman2011 link=1236019127/16#16 date=1236235558]Alright 190mA I will run it at :) . But I am using a different driver system in which I set the voltage myself. So what should I set the voltage to to run it?
IIRC 5.5V

I got sneekerd at for asking the mV. Sorry if I was wrong but even if I heard it wrong it is working with the DVM over a 1 Watt
resistor .  1mV=1mA. This is what I've read over in this forum time and time again. Is this misinformed or just mistakin.
either way I've tested and retested and found this statement  is true. <sneerk>.  :cool:
[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

Voltage equals amperage times resistance. If you put a 1ohm resistor in series with your circuit you can measure the voltage across the resistor to find the amperage.

jander6442 said:
I got sneekerd at for asking the mV. Sorry if I was wrong but even if I heard it wrong it is working with the DVM over a [highlight]1 Watt
resistor .  1mV=1mA.[/highlight] This is what I've read over in this forum time and time again. Is this misinformed or just mistakin.
either way I've tested and retested and found this statement  is true. <sneerk>.  :cool:

You'll need to get your terms corrected...   I think you wanted to say " a 1 Ohm resistor"...
then the voltage drop across that resistor will give you the current as 1mV=1mW... :cool:
[Edit]  1mV=1mA... :-[

Jerry

rkcstr

I think the 6x diodes run between 5 and 6V, but it might be higher than 6V for 300mA... other blu-ray diodes can run even higher voltages at those same currents, such as the 4x and the 803T.

jander6442 said:
resistor .  1mV=1mA. This is what I've read over in this forum time and time again. Is this misinformed or just mistakin.

I think you're not quite understanding what you're asking.  The current is in mA, but it is measurable by the voltage that gets dropped across a resistor at a given current, if you know the resistance of that resistor.  With the equation V = I * R rearranged for I = V / R, you can see that if R=1, ie a 1 ohm resistor, you get I = V, which also means that I being Amps, 1A = 1V or 1mA = 1mV.  

The "1 watt" is only the power rating of the resistor, which is the amount of power it can withstand continuously without failing and has nothing to do with measuring current as long as it is within your needs (P(W) = V * I = V^2/R = I^2 * R).

jander6442 said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1236019127/16#17 date=1236236412][quote author=pianoman2011 link=1236019127/16#16 date=1236235558]Alright 190mA I will run it at :) . But I am using a different driver system in which I set the voltage myself. So what should I set the voltage to to run it?
IIRC 5.5V

[/quote]
That is only if you are using a test load, because that is the formula (I=V/R).
A diode is not run off of mV.

lasersbee said:
[quote author=jander6442 link=1236019127/16#18 date=1236280210]I got sneekerd at for asking the mV. Sorry if I was wrong but even if I heard it wrong it is working with the DVM over a [highlight]1 Watt
resistor .  1mV=1mA.[/highlight] This is what I've read over in this forum time and time again. Is this misinformed or just mistakin.

You'll need to get your terms corrected...   I think you wanted to say " a 1 Ohm resistor"...
then the voltage drop across that resistor will give you the current as 1mV=1mW... :cool:

Jerry[/quote] YES laserbee your correct it is a 1 watt 1ohm resistor :D

Thanks for the correction. If I could sit down long enough to meditate on this then I know I'll get it

Thanks to the following

Dave, for setting me up for the proper schooling.
rkcstr for the formula, and patience.
Spyderz20x6 for also the explanation.
pseudolobster for the same .

I appreciate the knowledge.

jander6442 said:
[quote author=lasersbee link=1236019127/16#20 date=1236286149]You'll need to get your terms corrected...   I think you wanted to say " a 1 Ohm resistor"...
then the voltage drop across that resistor will give you the current as [highlight]1mV=1mW[/highlight]... :cool:
Jerry
YES laserbee your correct it is a 1 watt 1ohm resistor :D
[/quote]
Should read 1mV=1mA... ;)
There is a small error in what I said... Sorry...  :-[I corrected it in my previous post... :p
See...even members (me) that should know make mistakes.... ::) ;D

Jerry

lasersbee said:
[quote author=jander6442 link=1236019127/16#23 date=1236339476][quote author=lasersbee link=1236019127/16#20 date=1236286149]You'll need to get your terms corrected...   I think you wanted to say " a 1 Ohm resistor"...
then the voltage drop across that resistor will give you the current as [highlight]1mV=1mW[/highlight]... :cool:
Jerry
YES laserbee your correct it is a 1 watt 1ohm resistor :D
[/quote]
Should read 1mV-1mA... ;)
There is a small error in what I said... Sorry...  :-[I corrected it in my previous post... :p
See...even members (me) that should know make mistakes.... ::) ;D

Jerry[/quote]
Thanks for that Jerry. We all make mistakes your's was just clearicle. In any event you knew it, I didn't and thats how I'm going to learn
just wish I was smarter....... ;)

nmbusa

Miloš said:
Hey man, definitely keep us posted, although you won't be able to tell output behavior without laser meter. At least tell us how long you had it ON all together so far, and what ON -OFF periods you test it.

p,s,

is this hot glue i see joining aixiz module to driver??  This is going to melt off every time diode heats up. Even most epoxy glues will. trust me, i tested it all. When it melts, there is no structural support between so it might break.

cheers
Hi guyz
the 6x is dead as of yesterday,put in a new one today.
basically I made a huge mistake as I found  my dmm was playing up due to battery when I first finished build.
Originally set ma at 300 with test load and later when put in series with dmm on the ma setting  got reading of 260 and on amp reading got .3  so I upped the pot to 300 in ma setting.
Yesterday dead and all or in blu led state,new batteries in dmm I'm reading 340ma.desoldered diode put in test load and reading again 340ma ,2nd dmm and again 340ma.so there you go lived for a week or so at that setting.
New brother was set yesterday at 260ma first with test load and finished measured in series with dmm.

nmbusa

I got my answer as to why my 6x got fried by high ma here and not faulty dmm measurement
"When you buck on the other hand (battery voltage higher than diode voltage), the driver has to pull less current, than it gives the diode - it's the other way around... If you measure the current draw of a FlexDrive powered open can from a full battery, you will see, it is less than the current the diode is set to."
thanks to a great explanation by member aka "scientist" IgorT.
bottom of 4th page
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1230765788/48

G

gbl

So what is the safe current to run a 6x and what is the expected last time in hours of lifetime?
200mA would be OK?