Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Re: O-like 400mw green - Review

Yeah, there's lots of mode hopping on mine too. It's bright - dim - bright -dim and so on all the time. That isn't really that noticeable unless I study the dot it self thought. But it doesn't want to burn at times. So it obviously effect the overall performance.

I guess the price is decent all taken in to consideration. But in my case it doesn't feel like a powerful laser. My cute 200mw performed quite similarly and cost much less. It was also more stable though focusing was total crap.

I'm hoping for more reviews / power measurements.. If there are only a few units out of say 10 in total, that are weak, it may be worth an exchange.

ZapU

Mine came today. Was shipped on the 24th.

Fairly plain envelope. Bubble wrapped well.
DSCF2353.jpg

DSCF2354.jpg

End caps are sealed with double o-rings and the threads are smooth.
DSCF2355.jpg

DSCF2357.jpg

Now, the power. At first all I could get was 281mW, not steady.
DSCF2362.jpg

Let it cool. (It heats up quick!) Then I tried again and got 442mW!
DSCF2370.jpg

Biggest complaint is the module is off center and produces a comet tail spot.
This is an unfocused image.
DSCF2371.jpg

It mode hops a lot.

I'm going to return it for one that has a straight module.

@ZapU

Compared to the dud I got, yours is a champ. Module was also of center on mine, but if that was the only issue I wouldn't have sent it back.

Ash

This sounds like this batch had a few problems. Mode hopping, misaligned module, unstable power. Wonder how much IR these things put out. Hmm...

This make me wonder if maybe I should ask for a different laser as a replacement. Out of the reviews so far, seems like there is a disproportionate number of problems.

2-3 People so far who want to have it exchanged due to problems, out a batch of 15 or so, and not everyone has even gotten theirs, and obviously not everyone posts on here.

I ordered mine a few days ago, I'm pretty scared now...

ZapU

This sounds like this batch had a few problems. Mode hopping, misaligned module, unstable power. Wonder how much IR these things put out. Hmm...

With all the mode hopping and power fluctuations, it's hard to get a reliable reading. I tried putting my Eagle Pair goggles in between and got a reading of 45-50mW when I was getting about 380-400mW out of the laser. The Eagle Pairs blocked 100% of 445nm from my Arctic and are rated for 532nm also.
The O-like will also melt the Eagle Pair if held on one spot.

First impressions of my O-like 400mw green:

Just got it today from the post office and didn't have much time to play with it.

Dot: Bright, didn't notice mod hopping but maybe it's because it was on for a very short time (30 seconds). Dot shape when unfocused tends to be oval, however when focused it's a nice circular dot.

Focusing is not hard at all while wearing goggles.

Beam: Rather thin. Visible at daylight with no smoke or fog. In order to see it you have to look from the laser's point of view (like aiming a shotgun).

Power: Since I don't own a LPM I can only have an indirect impression of its power from burning. I managed to light a match in 1 - 2 seconds from one meter distance with battery not fully charged, perhaps half charged (right out of the bag it came with from China) and a well focused dot. Match wasn't painted black, just an ordinary safety red headed match. No magnifing glass or other accessories.

Didn't try to burn a hole in a CD case or to pop a balloon yet.

Last edited:

ZapU

After some more time to test, the laser consistently hits 440-445mW on startup with a fresh battery. :bowdown:
The duty cycle of 100 seconds on is pretty close to the point the power starts to drop dramatically. It also gets warm quickly.

Main beef now is how off center the beam is. At 20 ft it is almost one foot off center. :yabbem:

First impressions of my O-like 400mw green:

Just got it today from the post office and didn't have much time to play with it.

Dot: Bright, didn't notice mod hopping but maybe it's because it was on for a very short time (30 seconds). Dot shape when unfocused tends to be oval, however when focused it's a nice circular dot.

Focusing is not hard at all while wearing goggles.

Beam: Rather thin. Visible at daylight with no smoke or fog. In order to see it you have to look from the laser's point of view (like aiming a shotgun).

Power: Since I don't own a LPM I can only have an indirect impression of its power from burning. I managed to light a match in 1 - 2 seconds from one meter distance with battery not fully charged, perhaps half charged (right out of the bag it came with from China) and a well focused dot. Match wasn't painted black, just an ordinary safety red headed match. No magnifing glass or other accessories.

Didn't try to burn a hole in a CD case or to pop a balloon yet.

Is the beam coming out straight?

Either way, it sounds like you got one of the decent ones... Mine had trouble with a match from 2 inches, on a 100% charged battery.

Congrats:beer:

Is the beam coming out straight?

Hi,

I was only using it for a short time, just to check if it works and if it can light a match. While pointing it on a wall 7.5 meters away it looked good but maybe because I wasn't watching closely, I didn't notice.

Is there a 'professional' way to check whether the beam is coming out straight?

Hi snoutke,

My method is far from "professional" but just lay the laser flat on a long straight surface, large desk or floor will do. Roll it, and see if the dot is moving or staying level on whatever it is... if you're getting an even like ----------- beam is straight, if you're getting a repeating wave than it is at least a little off angle. In my case the beam was on my desk within 2-3 feet terminating in a green line, never even making it to the wall.

It's not really too big a deal IMO, but a straight beam is always better. So far all my lasers are a little off angle except for pen versions.

Last edited:

Got it.

Must confess that I have never did such test with any of my lasers.

Two questions in that regard:

At what distance do I shot the dot? I guess far away is more accurate than short range.

Does it have to be focused (I guess yes)?

Last edited:

It might easier to just use some smoke or fog and see if the beam comes out at an angle...

I would focus the dot as much as possible, and the further away it is, it would pick up smaller deviations from dead center. If you measure the top and bottom of the wave and the distance, your can calculate how much of an angle you have, though to be honest I never bothered with that. If you're gonna do that, just make sure you use the middle distance between high and low, and not one of the high and lows in the wave.

I'm kinda :( about how fast the dot gets HUGE ! i mean 30 meters and it's already like 10 cm diameter o well