Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Re: O-like 400mw green - $208 (hitting 600mw) - Review

How is the focusing? Can you get it to a straight infinite focus? I will be ordering these as soon as they become available once again.

I love my 1W 445, but distance is limited because of the character of the diode. The beam just gets bigger and bigger the further out you go. By 1/4 mile (1320ft), the beam is already about 3-4 feet long, by 1 foot high.

Droid,

Any idea how much of that is IR? I'm guessing probably not; but there are at least a few tests you can do with a camera to see if it's got a lot of IR output.

I've been considering one of these, really, I just haven't been able to see if 200mW of that is 808 or 1064...

ped

Yes, need to do an IR filtered test to be sure of the true output power.

plexus

Hi, nice review. You should measure the laser with at least 10cm between the aperture and sensor. Also, if you do IR readings can you let us know what your used to do the filters? ideally use a high quality glass IR or visible filter but let us know what you use because it will impact the reading. oh and finally, a run-time power output chart would be awesome!

plexus

I am not an expert but I don't see any reason for that high amount of IR output unless they are maybe mixing IR on purpose? i have a feeling with the whole >1W 445nm lasers out that the manufactures feel pressure to increase the advertised power rating of other laser, such as these. what do you think?

DPSS lasers are very finicky. i don't think the technology has changed much at least as far as i can tell from googling around. so its not like there is some new technology permitting these higher outputs. i think a lot of the specs now are peak best-case and also perhaps the beams are made wider with larger crystals to enable more power. but sinking the heat from the crystals is still a critical aspect of a good quality beam and these small hosts can't really provide that amount of passive heat sinking. i dont think they are using active cooling.

so just beware of what seems to be a trend to over-state the qualities of these DPSS lasers. and if you are into burning, you are better off with a 445 or 405 as those lasers are high power non-DPSS and can focus to a smaller waist and also materials seem to absorb those frequencies better than 532 (i dont find 532 a very good burning wavelength).

Yet another review for the 400mW green laser torch /focusable/waterproof [OL-532-350] - $208.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

I got it just before they raised the price. So I paid $195. This is one heck of a bang for your buck laser. Peaking at just barely shy of 600mw! I couldn't ask for more at this price. I don't hesitate to recommend it. I'll try to get some night shots some night.

Beam: My word this thing goes forever. I point it to the stars and it's just shooting off into space forever with a very solid bright green beam all the way. Very tight divergence. Slightly thicker beam than my other lower powered lasers. The beam comes out of the laser at a slight angle. Would be nice if it was perfect but I really don't notice it to bother me when I'm messing around with it.

Host: The host is decent. It's not awesome but it's not crap. It's adequate. I'd like something a little more heavy duty and higher quality but at this price I'm not complaining. There is not much heat sinking so it heats up pretty fast. I took off the waterproof lens in front. It makes the beam much more solid looking and you don't get any splash.

Other thoughts: At first I got a bad one. I had to pay to have it shipped back to China. It took about a month to get the first one. Then about a month and a half to send it back and receive the new one. So in all it took about 2 1/2 months. O-like is very good about taking care of it's customers. If anything is wrong they seem to take care of you just fine. Charger is heck of cheap. But that's fine it works and at least it comes with it.

So yeah great laser, awesome price, and good service from O-like. :gj: :beer:
Nice review,
But you do need to check the IR content.
A customer of mine recent sent me one of these olike torches and it should have been called and IR laser with 532nm leakage as the IR content was over 300mw with only ~100mw of 532nm green.

The best way to test for IR to visit your local camera store and ask them for an R72 filter (only passes IR). Get the smallest diameter they sell as price goes up with size.
Then see what the meter reads when pointing the laser through the filter and you'll see how much IR there really is.

I also agree with the other poster, your laser is too close to the sensor, you need to back off on the distance. I would use a distance of at least 6 inches away from the sensor.

plexus

Yes, the photo shop IR filter idea is a good one. Take a look at my review of the o-like OLNG350 350mw. I have an R72 and another IR filter that passes over 950nm. with these two I can measure 808mn and 1064nm output. anything over 15% IR is too much in my opinion. I am not sure if this is done on purpose, mixing more IR into the output to increase the power spec, or if its a result of a new DPSS design. is there a new DPSS design out there now?

jakeGT

I swear I saw slmebodys review of this and they did ir test with only 5.6% ir, maybe hemlock mikes... No promises tho so don't quote me on that

Edit: it wasn't h-mike. Here's the link

Last edited:

Benm

Sounds good to me - i suppose the IR leakage on these things is comparable between individual units, so it will definitely be mostly green you are measuring.

Looks like o-like guarantees >350 mW of green, which is already very good for the price. Getting over half a watt is awesome for $200, i think i'll order one of these when they become available again (and hope the next batch is just as good...).

It would be nice to have some more cooling though, so it can be operated continously. Perhaps its possible to fashion some star-shaped heatsink that goes around the host body.

jakeGT

I sent suzie an email, and she said there should be more available around *** *** ** **** *****

i dont wanna miss my chances on getting one!

A few days ago Susie told me they would restock at the end of February.

My order will be placed ASAP when she gets more in stock!

Benm

Will they be gettting the exact same laser?

Seems rather important right now. I'd be willing to pay for what was reviewed here, but if they are lookalikes from a dfferent supplier it would be pointless :(

Will they be gettting the exact same laser?

Seems rather important right now. I'd be willing to pay for what was reviewed here, but if they are lookalikes from a dfferent supplier it would be pointless :(

"Pointless"...

I see what you did there. :yh: