Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting SCAMMED

HIMNL9

Re: 6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

^ It depend .....

"Package content: 1.21 Gigawatt quantic flux laser with proton micropile power supply (handheld version) - Free shipping"

:eg: :p :crackup:

Last edited:

jakeGT

LOL at the last tag

Selling a bridge!

But yes, never put the word "laser" in a paypal transaction

U can put 1.4W 445, but do not put laser anywhere

Interesting - I didn't completely understand the implications of sending PP as a gift. I often do that with people on LPF to save them the PP fees. Conversely, I've asked people to send payments as gifts - or rather at least offered them the option of taking the fee value off their purchase price if they send as a gift. This is good to know - and kind of makes me feel like a schmuck for suggesting payments as a gift in the first place.

Question though - is it actually ok for us to be writing descriptions of items like 1W 445s, that wouldn't be allowed on sites like eBay? I thought paypal was iffy about that too?

I tend to keep the descriptions somewhat vauge for just that reason. I have no idea if what we buy and sale is actually allowed under paypal.

For instance, I might put "waterproof green", or "custom 405" in the descriptions, but I usually don't use the word laser.

But yes, never put the word "laser" in a paypal transaction

U can put 1.4W 445, but do not put laser anywhere

Look at that, I was doing that part correct, at least. :)

Last edited:

rhd

So, my follow-up question:

If we're not describing items as lasers, and if paypal (potentially) doesn't want their service used for lasers, then could someone really successfully dispute a laser payment considering:

1) That person hadn't fully described the item as what it was supposed to be.
2) That person wouldn't want to, in the process of a potential dispute, explain to paypal what they were supposed to receive.

It strikes me that perhaps the only thing we could dispute, would be a flat-out non-shipment, where no proof of tracking was provided. That's still better than nothing granted.

jakeGT

No, paypal doesn't want their service being used for illegal lasers, so technically I feel you would have no recourse if somebody ripped you off, because they don't support the sale of illegal lasers anyways.

Interesting - I didn't completely understand the implications of sending PP as a gift. I often do that with people on LPF to save them the PP fees. Conversely, I've asked people to send payments as gifts - or rather at least offered them the option of taking the fee value off their purchase price if they send as a gift. This is good to know - and kind of makes me feel like a schmuck for suggesting payments as a gift in the first place.

Question though - is it actually ok for us to be writing descriptions of items like 1W 445s, that wouldn't be allowed on sites like eBay? I thought paypal was iffy about that too?

I was going to post the same thing. I have no problem doing that for longtime known reputable sellers but no way in hell would I do it for someone who I've never seen selling things or one with low posts/rep.

Still a very good tip for dealing with new sellers.

One other thing about sending money if you're in the US and you plan on sending a money order I highly recommending using a USPS MO. If the seller ends up defrauding you it becomes mail fraud which is a felony and not taken lightly by postal inspectors and investigators.

rhd

One other thing about sending money if you're in the US and you plan on sending a money order I highly recommending using a USPS MO. If the seller ends up defrauding you it becomes mail fraud which is a felony and not taken lightly by postal inspectors and investigators.

Wouldn't it still be mail fraud if it was a bank money order? I thought the US had some funky law about any crime that is committed with use of the postal system constituting mail fraud.

rhd-

I think that's also true but I know it is when a USPS MO is involved.

HIMNL9

Instead of "laser", use the words "coherent light emitter" ..... it's technically correct, and it's the truth, so noone can claim you are mislabeling the package :beer:

Um...I wrote Postal Money Order in the rule. Using a Postal Money Order makes it a felony if I'm not mistaken.

Either way, the point is to not send cash.

About adding laser for a description. Paypal only cares about importation of >5mW lasers. You can sell/buy >5mW at a hobbyist level. They are legal to use in your house. When people start selling dozens, and dozens of lasers, only then does it become an issue. So if its only a one time deal I dont see any issues adding what you bought to the description..

And it's also not a good idea to put large diamond in the description, unless you are sending a $20.00 laser with $200.00 insurance. :tinfoil:

Oh, and yeah this was a great heads up!

Last edited:

Instead of "laser", use the words "coherent light emitter" ..... it's technically correct, and it's the truth, so noone can claim you are mislabeling the package :beer:

Optical maser maybe :)

Where can I find out about a seller? Talking to a guy in Missouri, got a page on FB called warrior tactical laserz. Anyone heard about him?

I wouldnt buy any laser from a guy on FB. We have some of the best laser builders here, and we can also give you a recommendation to buy the laser you're looking for. We need to know what you want, and how much do you want to spend. And please dont say you want a high power laser for $30, because they dont exist.

Please read the stickies, and FAQ before asking for help. It will help us help you if we know exactly what you want.

Good luck.

PS Sorry I cant add you as a friend. The people on my list are my friends. Maybe in the future when I get to know you better.