Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5mW 450nm Laser

Ouch, that price--- I'll stick with laserglow if I need 5mW, as well as lazerer and laserbtb if I'm feeling daring ;)

Haha yeah and I thought laserglow had a steep price tag... Their hydra (447nm) is $270. But $500... pretty bold price tag they're setting

Ouch, that price--- I'll stick with laserglow if I need 5mW, as well as lazerer and laserbtb if I'm feeling daring ;)

thats easy if you can be OK with a Blu ray diode
just get a $2(whole sale cost) 405 module from AixiZ Lasers and add 3 to 5 volts

I have some to give away-- PM for the details

Last edited:
I'm not a laser builder, so I wouldn't know... but doesn't that give you a purple laser instead of a deep blue? 405nm is blu-ray wavelength... these are 440-450nm wavelength :whistle:

EDIT: Never mind, edited post :p

Last edited:
Hak I was just messing around ;) though if you have one sitting around that can push 800mW's I'll be happy to take it off your hands :whistle:

Over-drive one wayyyyy up... you could get 800mW for one billionth of a second :D

EDIT: Please excuse any severely faulty physics/logic/common sense associated with that^

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this, and, in fact, a "safe" 5mW, 450nm pointer shouldn't actually be too hard to make. It would seem from Blord's Osram PL450B power chart that driving a PL450B at ~20mA should give oneself a nice, ~5mW blue laser to play with. Could be worth the time for someone. :)

Dragon/Cody

Last edited:
You'd almost need a driver with a pot on it since you're so close to the threshold at that current though--

Lazeerer built a low powered 450 for me (see my sig). Very cool laser, can be a little less cautious with it ;)

I found a similar laser, it's also 450m and 5mW but a LOT cheaper. HERE
The only trick with that one would be that, while it claims to be a <5mW laser, this is an ebay pen that we're talking about, so it could easily be overspec, which would kind of defeat the presumable purpose of having a "safe", "<5mW" 450nm. That's just my take on it. I could be wrong, it could be within the correct power range to qualify as a IIIa, but I personally am not sure that I would gamble that on an ebay pen if I'm looking for guaranteed <=5mW.

Dragon/Cody

Edit: Now that I think about it, Skylaser has some single-mode 450nm pointers here that can be obtained as 1mW or 5mW for a fairly modest price, considering all things.

Last edited:
Cube777, may I direct your attention to the working current?

</snide way of saying it's not 5mW>

@Cyparagon This laser probably runs of a boost driver and considering it only get's 3V from the batteries it's going to use a lot of current

Last edited: