Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

574nm 36 mW Yellow Laser

Welp, I guess those ones will be the ones to put in portables.

Excellent little tease Paul! I'll be firing mine up this afternoon - can't wait to see this myself.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Not perfect as done quick, but here is a few of your images in yellow for you Paul.
paul%20574%20%281%29.jpg

paul%20574%20%282%29.jpg

paul%20574%20%283%29.jpg

Nice laser you have there. :)

I have a buddy of mine helping me this weekend on coming up with a better, consistent method of correcting these. Ranged hue shifts aren't so good, as you can see with the red and green artifacts in the edits above.

We'll be using free software and I'll make a tutorial once we come up with something good.

Why... Not sure. But it looks like at least two companies got lucky and found an easy coating that makes a somewhat difficult DPSS process cheap and easy to produce.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice review, Paul, you can't go wrong for $30 + shipping on a 574nm laser! :beer:
It looks like the possibility of higher power units coming soon, that would be fantastic as long as the price is not outrageous.

One question, Paul, what was the output before you "tweaked" it?

@Curtis, good work, that beam looks good in yellow!

Steve, it is not Nd:YAG running this show. We aren't going to be pushing YAG to 570nm+ yet alone 565nm, especially with only one crystal.

I think we should wait for LSRFAQ to confirm his suspicions about a broadly tunable self-doubling crystal.

Wow, Curtis. Nice job editing the color. That looks much closer to the actual color. How could anyone not want one of these new lasers? And for the money, I can't build a handheld for that price.

I didn't check the power before I increased the pump current. The reason was I had it on a CC/CV power supply and saw it was pulling close to 6 watts. The pot of the driver was sitting there, beckoning me to adjust it. I thought I'd turn it a bit and see what the overall current does. So, I start by turning it CW, which to my surprise, lowered the current. So, I turned it CCW and after around three turns, left it where it was pulling 500 mA at 12 volts after warm up. I had noticed that the current decreases rather quickly as the pump diode heats up. So, now from a cold start, it pulls 550 mA.

kecked

Though this message likely will never be seen by the person who figured this out, thank you. I’ve searched for yellow for a decade. You’ve made a dream come true.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Same, yellow lasers have been a dream of mine for a long time too.

I have to ask. How big is the module and what will it take to put this into a handheld host? What driver is necessary to run the pump diode? Does it require a 2 cell or 3 cell host?

These have already been done here, Ted. NexGen built one into a handheld. The inner module is 20 mm in diameter, so not terribly difficult to do. You will need a low Vf driver that can supply at least 1100 mA to use in place of the one that comes with it. I believe Nexgen used one from a 300 mW 532nm green to drive it. Might have used the same host too.

Encap

Not perfect as done quick, but here is a few of your images in yellow for you Paul.
Nice laser you have there. :)
Nice job CurtisOliver---more than adequate given all the differences in computer screens, graphics programs and drivers and setting of same.

These links may describe what's going on. See post 330.
Good links Steve001---they give good explanation of a 561nm/562nm DPSS process

Steve's links for those interested repeated are:
https://www.osapublishing.org/josab/abstract.cfm?uri=josab-30-1-95
https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2002021646A1/en

Why... Not sure. But it looks like at least two companies got lucky and found an easy coating that makes a somewhat difficult DPSS process cheap and easy to produce.

Lucky? I don't understand what you mean/are saying.

What two manufacturers are you meaning?
Who is the second manufacturer?
So far there is only one manufacturer making low cost/$30 574nm laser modules Shenzhen Optlaser that has been posted on LPF. At least that I have seen.
Do you mean "two companies" including retail reselling vendors that sell one piece at a time? Resellers, don't manufacture anything other than smoke and mirrors + high prices for lower cost products they purchase from a manufacturing entity and they don't find, come up with, or apply novel coatings to laser crystals--no?

Though this message likely will never be seen by the person who figured this out, thank you. I’ve searched for yellow for a decade. You’ve made a dream come true.

Do you mean low retail cost yellow?

Yellow has been around for a while now many companies have made them and make them on demand. THe problem has been mostly little or no demand for them so they don't all promote them very actively---
Example: Recently in early 2017 CNI released a DPSS MGL-F-577nm lab lasers which they determined there was a market for - see: 577 nm Yellow Laser, Solid State Laser, Yellow Laser Module | CNIlaser
and for many years prior 556, 561, 589nm and 593.5nm see: Yellow laser, 593.5/556/561/589 nm DPSS yellow laser, orange laser system.

Last edited: