Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

532nm handheld sellers

You'll want to use active cooling on this. Forced air might be enough unless you want to use a TEC.

Edited for a spelling error

Last edited:
Forced air is the easiest and most economical solution. It should be pretty simple to integrate a small fan into a design and it would use much less power than a peltier device (which would need a fan anyway).
A big heatsink that is properly thermally coupled to the laser module is necessary whether you are actively cooling or not.

From this thread, it's not clear what exactly you need this laser to do and under what conditions it will be operating.
If you need it to run for a couple minutes at or near 25C ambient temperature, passive cooling should be fine.
If you need it to run longer than that, forced air will get you a few more minutes before efficiency really drops off.
If long-term stability and consistent power are the primary considerations, you are better off sacrificing portability and getting a bench-top laser.

In your first post, you mention that you have a spare host for a 25 mm module. Is it spacious enough that it can be bored out to 26 mm and accommodate the 10 cm length of the PGL-H1? Can it be modified to attach a fan, and what space is available for a driver?
These high-power DPSS CNI modules make a lot of heat so it's unlikely a simple flashlight host modified for a laser module will be satisfactory.

prolex

From this thread, it's not clear what exactly you need this laser to do and under what conditions it will be operating.
If you need it to run for a couple minutes at or near 25C ambient temperature, passive cooling should be fine.

It doesn't need to run for long, can be operated within a duty cycle.
I had got the impression that these high power modules from cni get way too hot for even a small duration of usage with passive cooling.

In your first post, you mention that you have a spare host for a 25 mm module. Is it spacious enough that it can be bored out to 26 mm and accommodate the 10 cm length of the PGL-H1? Can it be modified to attach a fan, and what space is available for a driver?

That host has extra wiggle room for the 26 mm diameter but is way too short for the PGL-H1 module.
I'll need to get someone to manufacture one for sure.

It doesn't need to run for long, can be operated within a duty cycle.
I had got the impression that these high power modules from cni get way too hot for even a small duration of usage with passive cooling.

Years ago I had a few CNI lasers. One was 532 nm and the build was similar to the Laserglow Aries. It was rated for 400 mW and produced over 800 mW peak and averaged 600 - 700 mW depending on ambient temperature. It's been a long time, so I don't remember exactly but from a cold start at room temp, it took about 30 seconds to reach peak, then slowly dropped over time. I don't think I would run it longer than 2 minutes or so except on cold winter days. The laser was based on the PGL-H module (shorter, brass). If the 800 mW PGL-H1 is similar, I'd expect that you can get short runs like this with just passive cooling. I'm not necessarily making any suggestion here, just trying to give you some context for what you can expect based on my past experience with a similar laser.
I dug up the thread in case you want to see more on this particular laser. Photos and videos are mostly expired, sorry about the quality from about 14 years ago...
https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/400mw-pgl-iii-c-updated-re-review-new-photo-video.44458/

That host has extra wiggle room for the 26 mm diameter but is way too short for the PGL-H1 module.
I'll need to get someone to manufacture one for sure.

We used to have a bunch of machinists around here. Unfortunately they seem to have vanished over the years.
My machines aren't quite big enough for the job otherwise I'd consider taking up the task.

prolex

Years ago I had a few CNI lasers. One was 532 nm and the build was similar to the Laserglow Aries. It was rated for 400 mW and produced over 800 mW peak and averaged 600 - 700 mW depending on ambient temperature. It's been a long time, so I don't remember exactly but from a cold start at room temp, it took about 30 seconds to reach peak, then slowly dropped over time. I don't think I would run it longer than 2 minutes or so except on cold winter days. The laser was based on the PGL-H module (shorter, brass). If the 800 mW PGL-H1 is similar, I'd expect that you can get short runs like this with just passive cooling. I'm not necessarily making any suggestion here, just trying to give you some context for what you can expect based on my past experience with a similar laser.
I dug up the thread in case you want to see more on this particular laser. Photos and videos are mostly expired, sorry about the quality from about 14 years ago...

That's one insane unit you had back then 😮(y)
Thanks for the input, it gives somewhat of an idea on what I'm getting in to.

We used to have a bunch of machinists around here. Unfortunately they seem to have vanished over the years.

Yeah, I've noticed. ElectricPlasma made good hosts a few years back, he's disappeared unfortunately. :(

I'm also looking for hight power DPSS 532nm laser module or handheld, if you guys have some news or plan a group buy I would be interested too, I also was looking at the PGL-H1 module

Zoey Bao

Do you consider doing the dpss frequency doubling yourself? Some of the DPSS lasers are sold in 1064nm wavelength and you could do the frequency doubling and make it to a shorter wavelength such as 532nm green light.

Is op
I thought LaserGlow discontinued their Hercules/Aries laser pointers?

EDIT: Just checked, because I'm in the US I can't see the Herc/Aries, but if I google it I can navigate to the page where they have a disclaimer stating its not available for the US market. I would love to have one of each of those is optotronocs still around ?
John