Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

520nm Green Laser Diode Handheld Build! *Now with Video!!*

Just finished building my first 520nm laser!
thumb1.jpg

For parts I used the OSRAM PL520 laser diode, a micro boostdrive, the minisabre v2 host, g2 lens, and copper 3.8mm module. The minisabre is a sweet looking host, although it is a bit on the difficult side to work with.

parts.JPG

I put everything together following the danfex tutorial, and set my micro boostdrive to 280mA. The "moment of truth" of powering this thing on for the first time was nerve racking! I popped in two AA batteries, pressed the button, and then I was delighted by the fact that I did not just build a $250 paperweight.

beam1.JPG

This color is very bright! The color is noticeably different than 532nm, but only slightly.

beam2.JPG

Here is the laser compared to a 532nm laser of similar power (Wicked Lasers Fusion)
beam3.jpg

It's crazy to believe that we have green laser diodes available to us now. When I first joined this forum all we had for laser diodes were from DVD burners. Then "SenKat GB diodes", followed by the 10mW 405nm, the open can reds, the 6x 405nm, the PHR-803T, the amazing 445nm, the high powered 635nm, the single mode 450nm and 635nm, and now this. This hobby has progressed so much in the time that I've been here! I can't even imagine what the hobbyists think that have been lasing since the ruby and gas lasers of several decades ago.

Video!

Powerful 520nm Green Laser Diode Torch! Step by Step Build - YouTube

And if you don't watch my vids...you should :D My channel is The DIY Laser Guy - YouTube

Last edited:

Re: 520nm Green Laser Diode Handheld Build!

Nice build ! Has a really clean look ! :beer:

+1 :gj:

Last edited:

Very nice build!

I love this host, I have a 600mW 405 in the dark anodized minisabre, and an M-140 at 1.7W in a polished minisabre. Its an awesome quality host, the clicky feels real solid. Threads nice and smooth.

DTR

Congrats on your first 520nm build. That is a great looking host.:beer:

Thanks! I got the 520nm laser diode + module and lens from you. I'll definitely be ordering from you again for my future projects!

Gah that looks f@ck!n awesome styropyro, nice tutorial & great pictures! :drool:
Yes I agree this is a difficult host to work with too. I personally love a good challenge though, that's one of the things that drew me to it. Congrats on bringing it all together!

I am so envious, haven't gotten my hands on one of these diodes yet! That cyanish green looks so nice!! :gj:

:beer:

Last edited:

norbyx

I got to admit that you got me tempted. That host and that color beam go hand in hand like I have never seen before. I also like the fact that the host is small.
Now I know it might be much asking but, do you have any pictures of how you managed to place the driver in the host?

I'm not sure how well I covered that in the video but I guess I'll find out later. I wrapped the driver in a layer of electrical tape and I stuffed it in the space similar to how danefex does in his tutorial. I couldn't screw the pill/module combo into the host as is, so I cheated by adding a drop of hot glue to the combo to keep it in one piece while screwing it together. Otherwise I would have ripped the wires apart by twisting it in to the host.

I agree that this host goes incredibly well with the 520nm color. I did not want a giant flashlight for a 100mW build. In fact I was originally going to build this into a LeadLight (pen host) but after seeing this host I knew I had to get one.

Blord

That is a good build. A very good looking laser !

Thanks!

I just added a bit to the original post detailing the progression of the hobby. I can't believe that we have green laser diodes in the hands of hobbyists.

But you have the RGB LED ball and a 360º spirograph :bowdown:

Oh yea, thanks :D

But I'm relly hungry for one of these green diodes. I see sush great potential for tiny and full colour-modulated RGB builds

ah...minisabre and 520nm diode are perfect combination. It is a toss up between the 405nm and 520nm. Great, have no clue which one I wanna take.

Last edited:

Gun

Beautiful host and beautiful beam, awesome build styropyro :)

+1 :beer:

Last edited:

burner

very nice job....loving the 520nm

+1