Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

515nm Forest Green Diode Laser Pointer

Thats a beautiful color and I love pens. Alibaba was mentioned somewhere I believe.. great place for buying in bulk at wholesale prices.. I used to buy blown glass pipes from them and sell here for double the money to tobacco shops ... not the best quality stuff though but they're just a vendor not manufacturer

Didn't mean to derail the thread forg ot to mention Alibaba.com probably sells a lot of lasers parts and pens

Edit.. that review was nice but that host is the exact same one both my 445s are in and id really love to know what it is or more likely its generic no name ?

Last edited:

Although if you are viewing the beams in a stargazing situation, they will not increase lighting so I imagine in that situation it would stay scotopic. That logic may be flawed but it makes sense to me.

No, the extra sensitivity of rods at that wavelength would kill the night-vision ability of your eyes if you used that wavelength. I don't think you'd be able to see the color either, as your eyes wouldn't receive any color signals that are part of the cones. If you want to preserve scotopic vision, you want wavelengths that do not excite the rods in your eyes, which typically means using red wavelengths.

IsaacT

Good to know! The way our eyes react to different wavelengths is very interesting. The effect 405nm in particular has always amazed me and just goes to show that we have little control over how we perceive the world around us. What else is distorted with out our knowledge. What is not as it seems?

No, the extra sensitivity of rods at that wavelength would kill the night-vision ability of your eyes if you used that wavelength. I don't think you'd be able to see the color either, as your eyes wouldn't receive any color signals that are part of the cones. If you want to preserve scotopic vision, you want wavelengths that do not excite the rods in your eyes, which typically means using red wavelengths.

Interesting & good info. Never knew that.
So basically for stargazing greens are useless and we need to stick to reds?

Good to know! The way our eyes react to different wavelengths is very interesting. The effect 405nm in particular has always amazed me and just goes to show that we have little control over how we perceive the world around us. What else is distorted with out our knowledge. What is not as it seems?

What's weird too is that as our eyes age, our eyes are naturally tinted more yellow, which filters out some of the shorter wavelengths. Infants don't have this filtering, so UV filtering sunglasses are important for them. Older people who have cataract surgery may also lose that filter ability too.

I think our eyes may also fluoresce with UVA wavelengths, which gives that weird in-eye glow.

Interesting & good info. Never knew that.
So basically for stargazing greens are useless and we need to stick to reds?

Red would be best. It's why red lights are used to read the charts.

BB has it spot on- they even have a special name for eye danger from 'blue' lasers which includes blu-ray 405- but at the LSO class they did not have time to go into why..

Now I understand more TY & +5 to BB when system allows-lol :beer::beer::beer:

Red is much easier to look at --even High Power--

len:whistle:

svdr

It is my experience that a 1 - 5 mW green does nog affect night visioen while stargazing. The beam of such lowpower green is perceived as dim grey. For an equally visible red, I needed at least 300mW of 650, or 150 - 200 mW of 635 because of the poor reaction of the human eye tot red light in dark conditions.

DJNY

I also have the +/-515nm laser bdgreenb in his post #16

Took this pic the other day. Color is pretty much the same as I see with my naked eye

They may look the same during daylight, but what about in the darkness? My 520nm green laser looks like true green compared to pukey yellowish-green color of 532nm DPSS laser in the dark (I have both of those lasers so I can compare them in daylight and in the total darkness), 515nm may tend toward blue tints, though.

About 515nm looking more and more blue to the camera, that's the artifact of Bayer filter (both software and actual RGB filters on the photosensitive surface of the CCD / CMOS chip itself), so it may not be true representative of what you physically see but it also is useful for instantly differing between the green laser diodes, and their binning ratings.

And yes, I recommend red laser for astronomy but I would say green may be the exception for some case (just don't point down or whatsoever, it destroys your night vision instantly - even at 5mW output, in the darkness, the flash of green laser is like that of a firing camera strobe flashlamp.)

Canuke

515nm is closer to "traffic light green" than 532. That's still green to me, though.

I'm awaiting two Kryton Grooves from B/S/T and will be looking for diodes and drivers for them soon; at least one is going to be one of these greens, would love a 515nm. My prediction for when I compare them, is that 532nm will still be "true green" to my eye, while the 515/520 by comparison will be "monochrome CRT green", as anyone old enough to have used a CBM "PET" will recall. :)

http://www.aixiz.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/57/products_id/446

^^^^ these were gotten in stock at AixiZ a month before SELEM 2013-
I took 5 with me and sold out very quick- I expected more to be wanted in the >year that has passed- i really dont think those who feel the price ($85) is too high-- much of the labor is done and ESD in no longer an issue- with SO many 12vx30 hosts out there I felt we would be seeing many of the green modules made into a handheld- the Li-ions are a great power choice especailly the trusty 18650- by far my fav battery-

I ran my 515 for 30 min on a 18650 cheap 'pull' (from a dead laptop battery pack)
the LPM never changed steady at 29mW the stock heat sink in came with was not warm- I used a copper shim and paste to get good connection-

starting (again) today in this section a 'murder fund' for a test to death on one of these AixiZ 515nm green diode modules-

brb with link