Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

50mW Waterproof Green Laser from Rayfoss - Detailed Review

50mW Waterproof Green Laser from Rayfoss

The Basics
The whole reason why I bought this laser was because it is waterproof. DX used to sell some lasers that some people claimed were waterproof, but there were others that said otherwise. The seller claims that this laser really is waterproof so I decided to give it a try.

Shipping/Packaging
Shipping took about nine days after ordering from China, which is actually pretty fast. This company does ship to the US unlike DX/KD, which makes this laser a great alternative to those sites. Shipping isn't free like a lot of Chinese sites you see, but it is still only $4. The laser came in a small padded envelope with a white box with a section for the laser and an included 3.7v rechargeable CR123.
rf1.jpg

When I emailed Faona asking about a charger for the laser, she nicely threw in a charge for free! Unfortunately the charger is meant for the 3 volt rechargeables (the charger outputs 3.7v, 3.7v rechargeables need a charger that outputs around 4.2v). This means the charger only can charge the included battery up to 3.7v so there isn't much battery life in between charges, but I have the right charger coming in from hightechdealz so it is all good. It's the thought that counts, right? ;)

Overall Appearance/Feel
I personally love the overall appearance of this laser, the pictures really don't do it justice! I know some people here don't like flashlight style lasers, but I like the feel of them in the hand.
rf2.jpg

The tailcap clicky has a good flimsy grip, it isn't the least bit flimsy. It is just like your typical LED flashlight switch. It is a reverse clicky so you can't do momentary on, only momentary off.]

Innards/Build
This laser easily disassembles into 3 parts:
rf3.jpg

As you can see there are O-rings which help keep the water out. Everything fits together nicely and snug, which is pretty important if you feel like taking a swim with this.

There is a second lens in the head of the laser meant to keep the water out. It is recessed below the aperture so water will get stuck in here and leave water spots. This is a problem you will see with all waterproof lasers unless the protective lens is flush with the aperture, but then the lens will get scratched up very easily. At least you can clean water spots.

The laser module inside looks to be just like your typical Rayfoss/O-like module, but I really wouldn't expect anything different.

Visibility/Output
Visibility is what you would expect for a 50mW green laser, very bright. The beam is visible in a lit room, and this is with only half charged batteries.
rf4.jpg

The beam of this laser is very thin, almost as thin as my CNI GLP-150! This is great for burning tricks, but a trade off for this is only mediocre divergence. Here is a beam shot trying to capture how much the beam enlarges over distance, but it was too bright out so the picture kinda sucks.
rf6.jpg

This laser does output a lot of artifacts, this picture was taken before the laser had been underwater. I used my finger to block out the beam so you could see the scatter.
rf5.jpg

It really is only noticeable from up close though.

The beam at night is very visible, the more humidity in the air the better! Sorry for no beam shots, I never got around to taking them. Just look up my beam shots of my other 50mW green lasers if you want to see what this one is like...lol.

Burning
This laser really isn't a great burner but I wouldn't expect much out of a 50mW greenie, I can pop balloons and punch holes through trash bags pretty easily. I can even sting my skin, but that is because it is darker from the summer sun here ;)

Waterproof
Yes, it really is waterproof! The O-rings work great at keeping the water out, I haven't tried anything deeper than a couple feet of water though.
rf7.jpg

Final Notes
When ordering from Rayfoss, don't even bother with their online checkout system, it is messed up. It is much easier just to email them your order.

Oh, the instructions were funny...
rf8.jpg

Overall this is a cool laser and I would recommend it, just don't put in the batteries backwards!

Video:

I may add to this if people want me to elaborate on something.

Last edited:

That is good to hear. Looks like a good buy. I purchased the 200mW version of this laser yesterday. Can't wait for it's arrival.

I don't think I'm going to do the detailed video review like I usually do, I'll do something more simple instead.

lol you know why faona had that instruction?? well i was talking to her and a lot of my friends who ordered that one askes her to put a notice about the waterproofing thing.. hehehe BTW guys the waterproof thing can only go 5 meters deep in the water. dont go beyond it. for now im still developing an add on for that host to make it go like 50meters deep. im still studying the construction of the host..

I added the Youtube video...it is just a mini-overview showing operation and an underwater dunk test.

I think they claim 10m, which is way deeper than I'll ever need to take this thing.

Nice review! I can't wait to get the 150mW version this fall!

So don't even use the shopping cart?

Nope, just email her your order. I tried ordering some stuff with the shopping cart and it turned out to be a failure.

Just tried one of these this weekend for a host.

I ordered 2, upon their arrival I had one jacked up 50mW from a KD I was going to put into a host w/ the three 1.5 volt host.

It slide right in there. worked great.

The second unit I used a LOC w/Aixiz and Lava V4... I made a mod involving a trimmed rubber grommet and the lens cap put it together and wham!!... fully
adjustable red burner. Fun little unit.

I'll post pics soon. Jander

Last edited:
Hi, I got the same host and a 50mW o-like module... but for some reason I get a wierd line to the side of the dot when the top part of the host is fully screwed on... but if I unscrew it a bit the line goes away but I get the same scatter as you. Did you get this problem as well?? how did you fix it??.. if I take the top of the host off the dot is perfect and hardly any scatter...

Thank you -Adrian

Hi, I got the same host and a 50mW o-like module... but for some reason I get a wierd line to the side of the dot when the top part of the host is fully screwed on... but if I unscrew it a bit the line goes away but I get the same scatter as you. Did you get this problem as well?? how did you fix it??.. if I take the top of the host off the dot is perfect and hardly any scatter...

Thank you -Adrian

Sounds like it is not sitting flush in the housing. try using small squared
aluminum strips to wedged it straight. jander6442