Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

505nm and 480nm diode RESULTS

• Thread starter Deleted member 16589
  • Start date
You can't see the printing unaided. I used a microscope to see it. I don't see the need to look for glare off the window now that the part numbers are known and don't match. They aren't the same diode. Different part numbers are enough for me to know. Plus the difference between the spectra of the two is sooo far off. 8nm is a lot on a professional spectrometer.

I purchased the nano buck/boost driver from DTR. I know it can only be set for 275mA, 500 mA or 1.1 amps, but I'm betting I can get it changed to 350 mA. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Last edited:

Really disappointing on the 505's. Hopefully this can be worked out with our source as they may not even be aware (i hope). Very real chance that they were given a different batch binned differently and didn't even know about it. Maybe if they are made aware, we can get some more of the real 505's.

So these are 510 diodes, yes? If so is it even worth it to get a pointer made if I have a 515 coming in already? Im just looking for color diff. here.

-Alex

Reactions: GSS
So these are 510 diodes, yes? If so is it even worth it to get a pointer made if I have a 515 coming in already? Im just looking for color diff. here.

-Alex

Green LDs seems to have a wide wavelength tolerance, usually ±5nm. The datasheet for this 505nm does not state the minimum and maximum wavelength but if these have ±5nm tolerance then we can expect anything between 500-510nm. It's just a draw of luck.

GSS

I somehow lost my bookmark of the auto shift WL's chart:can:
Can someone link it?:eek:

D

Deleted member 16589

Found the problem! The real 505nm have SB1497N91 micro-printed around the window of the diode. The three from ZRaffleticket are SB147EC19. Similar, but not the same. The one I got from Lifetime17 has the correct number on it. Thanks for pointing that out to me Laserman121. I'd have never looked and seen the numbers across the diode.

The one I have Has The number SB1473N91 on it?

EDIT: first batch that were spectro'd by Junktronix are SB1473N91
the second batch are SB147EC91

Last edited by a moderator:

DTR

Found the problem! The real 505nm have SB1497N91 micro-printed around the window of the diode. The three from ZRaffleticket are SB147EC19. Similar, but not the same. The one I got from Lifetime17 has the correct number on it. Thanks for pointing that out to me Laserman121. I'd have never looked and seen the numbers across the diode.

I think some of that number if not all if it is just a batch number not the part number. If like the Osram diodes which have numbers printed on the side of the can I have never received two batches with the same number on them. Anyway I don't think mine came from the same source or batch as either of those as mine has SB147EC91 on it but it is closer to the number for sure that are on ZRaffleticket's. Also so his were over 510nm @ 125mA? Sorry did not see the post with the results.

YBncqk.png

Last edited:
Seems we may have to assume a possible range on these then given the different batch numbers on each group of diodes and how much the wavelength seems to vary between batches. Just wish we could get some model names for these so we could get a real datasheet for them and see what's going on.

Seems we may have to assume a possible range on these then given the different batch numbers on each group of diodes and how much the wavelength seems to vary between batches. Just wish we could get some model names for these so we could get a real datasheet for them and see what's going on.

Actually there is a product number and a datasheet. This diode seems to be in preliminary stage and it's not listed yet on their website.

Attachments

• GH05035A2G.pdf
    347.9 KB · Views: 146
All I can say is there was a difference between the diode I got printed SB1473N91. It spectroed at 502nm. The ones with the SB147EC91 were all over 505nm by a lot. They seem to be 510nm from what I saw. Maybe there is a no difference between the two and there can be a +/-5nm difference, but it seems odd to me the the three diodes I spectroed with the SB147EC91 number were all over 505nm by as much as 5nm while the one diode I got with the SB1473N91 number spectroed at 502nm. I guess it wasn't enough of a sample group to say definitively that the two ARE different diodes. But, it seemed very different to me.

I think that is well within expected wavelength variation in laser diodes. Most diodes are spec'd within a range of 10 to 20nm. The PLT5 510 for instance is 510-530nm.

BTW, thanks for testing all those diodes!

Last edited:
I really hope this is an issue of the diodes still being unlisted/not fully developed. If I catch windfall of a new batch with lower WL diodes being available, I'll be buying. Not sure if I want to keep the 3 I bought with these results... It's odd that they're so consistently different.

I really hope this is an issue of the diodes still being unlisted/not fully developed. If I catch windfall of a new batch with lower WL diodes being available, I'll be buying. Not sure if I want to keep the 3 I bought with these results... It's odd that they're so consistently different.

They do have different numbers on the diode than the ones laserman121 and Lifetime17 got. I think that may be the reason, but others seem to think this is normal for a 510nm or 515nm. IDK.