Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

500mW Goblin From RayFoss

Hey Luke, you're not QUITE accurate with your above statement. Qualifound DOES STILL exist, except that they handle other electronic devices such as; notebooks, CCCTV,etc. But if you want a LASER, now you have to access the RAYFOSS site, which is a child of the parent company, Qualifound. They are both owned & operated by a sweet lady named FAONA. She has GOOD PRICES & GOOD SERVICE.....................rob

Thanks or the corection. It is true both sites still exist. It is weird that they don't link to eachother. When they firsted moved their laser I kept typing in Quallifound and had to search through the forum to find the name of the laser site. Makes me wonder.

I'm glad someone noticed that. It was a customs notice saying that they confiscated a laser pointer because it was great than 5mW. At least they left the box for me. Interestingly enough they took the instructions label as well. Weirdos.

Ash

I'm glad someone noticed that. It was a customs notice saying that they confiscated a laser pointer because it was great than 5mW. At least they left the box for me. Interestingly enough they took the instructions label as well. Weirdos.

Hmm. That sucks. They just took it, you weren't compensated at all? Where was it shipped from?

It was shipped from korea. A customer of mine was nice enough to return a laser and mark the customs lable as laser pointer and addressed the laser to sweetlasers insead of Luke. He alo left the 100mW warning label on the laser. Really smart guy.

..mmmh.. qualifound site is like... olike.. XD damn ...same design. WHO copyed who? olike or qualifound ? XD rayfoss has guaranteed output power like olike?

Ash

o-like's site was before qualifound with their web page design. they are both using the same web template, that's all. :eek:
Not sure about the "Guarantee of Output" from Rayfoss... you could email Faona and ask her

Benm

Guarantee or not, it seems to be on spec anyways, which is good news.

If it didnt have the duty cycle issue i'd consider buying one (its a lot of money, but a lot of power too)... but i really expect a $500 laser to stay on at, or very near, rated power as long as the batteries can handle - or for infinity when powered by a lab supply.

Good review, all key topics are covered, and quickly accessible :beer:

Did I understand correctly that it's 517mW after IR filtration? What was it beforehand (just curious...)?

... That was my "300mW" waterproof boblaser. Let me retest that one with this filter that Phoenix77 gave me. BRB. Around 150mW.
Ouch...

Side-topic ( and if you don't mind) - what's the tattoo on your arm...? Looks almost like a laser warning label... :thinking:

Yeah before filter it was too much for my 1 watt meter. You are very right my friend that is a warning laser radiation tattoo and yes it is totally fucking awesome.

Benm

Half a watt of IR seems very unlikely - i'm not sure what the response of a lasercheck to 808 is when its set for 532 though, might read way too high since it as an optical sensor.

Pretty big expectation, Benm - The only laser out there that I'm aware of (handheld, that is) with no duty cycle is the LG Hercules (thanks to internal forced-air cooling) ... Even the multi-$1000 Optotronics units have a duty cycle, and I don't recall ever having seen a labbie over 200mW or so that didn't have TEC cooling ...

Once you get up into these powers it seems the biggest difference is beam quality - the Laserglow and Opto lasers are generally impeccable, whereas most of the cheaper "No-Name" Chinese stuff is pretty sloppy. As always, you get what you pay for...

Half a watt of IR seems very unlikely - i'm not sure what the response of a lasercheck to 808 is when its set for 532 though, might read way too high since it as an optical sensor.

Hi Benm,
What you've said is exactly true.
The lasercheck and all silicon sensors for that matter are extremely sensitive to IR.
If the lasercheck is set to a wavelength in the IR range it will compensate for sensitivity, but if set to 532nm it will report a very low amount of IR that is mixed in with the 532nm as a very high level.
This has been discussed several times in the past few years here in the forum. As soon as you have a mix of 532nm and IR, the lasercheck is very inaccurate.

Most of the cheap IR filters that are used on most of these pointers do not block all of the IR either, so using a lasercheck in combination with with one of the small green filters can still be inaccurate as some IR is still contaminating.

Luke, just for kicks and grins, you might try checking the output power if the beam is passed through 2 of the IR blocking filters. If output is only 6-8% less with two filters, then you'll now they block the IR well enough and what you see on your lasercheck is a pretty accurate peak measurement. If the output drops by 20-30%, then you know the lasercheck is still getting IR and giving a false reading.

Hey Jack, I wouldn't be opposed to sending the laser out to you for testing if you would like to check it out. I only have this one tiny IR filter. Plus at this point you have tested soooooo many lasers you probably have it down good. Let me know if you are interested.