Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5.6mm no press 12mm DTR modules

Snecho

Actually the hollow back half's are omitted from the options for this friction fit module as I mentioned in post #7 no doubt intentionally by Jordan, an impact such as dropping your laser on it's tail ( could possibly ) dislodge the diode without the solid back half w/ pedestal especially if a driver were attached to the diode pins.
I think what Paul was trying to mention was that there are two options for the length of the back half, not hollowness. As in "half or full size." So you can either get the full length or half length back. Both are still solid.

Hope that makes sense.

Well...DTR needs to offer;

12mm modules for 5.6 and 9mm LD's
20mm modiles for 5.6 and 9mm LD's

Then I woud be happy....but...only briefly !!!! HAHAHA He is likely testing things out...B4 he invests more !!!
I have outlined why I like'em....Ya...so what. !!!!...DTR might have to order 50 to 100 units at a crack!!
NOW....If they do not sell...MMMM...He is stuck holding the bag !!! I get it !

Ya.....That is what I would do. Try out the most common module....the 12mm....coupled with the most common size...@ 5.6mm
SO.... Thanx DTR....for what you have done so far !!!

CDBeam

Heat transfer would be my most important issue using a no press module. That was why I mentioned the solid back halfs. Can't see them working to transfer heat without one.

I expect you will want to use a solid back half with the pedestal to support rear heat extraction from the backing plate, I would not use a hollow back half with a friction fit module..............I see that the hollow back half option is missing from the drop down options so apparently Jordan has the same idea.

Yep.

Hello,

Did you test the new new DTR V6 "no-press" copper module for 5.6mm diode ?
Because they don't suit me:( I ordered 5 pack and a new Sharp GH04W10A2GC 350mW/1.1W(Pulse) 405nm diode for testing.

I was able to put the diode without forcing in a copper module, but there is a problem : the diode is thinner than the bore, so the copper back does not press on the diode! The 5.6mm diode can move in a closed module when I shake it!

I went back to the DTR website to buy v5 modules but they have disappeared, they look no more available !
I contacted Jordan and no response at this time. I can always see some v5 module on DTR eBay and Amazon shop... Jordan are you here ?

Thanks,
Pascal

GSS

Don't know why the old style V5 aren't available, but probably just temporary??
The new no press is a good idea. The issue I see and every other member most likely does is it doesn't take much tolerance for a diode to be snug or loose. I see even .001 of a inch in the module bore making a difference. The diodes backs have to vary a good amount as they aren't machined but punch pressed?? unless i'm wrong. Adding these issue's together makes it more of a issue.
I never pressed in a diode in a module or had a bare diode or module in hand to measure.
Rich or Red just how much of a difference on average is there in size between the diode and module on the press fit style?

Yes there is a bit of error because my diode can be loose on one module and snug on 4 other.
But it would be necessary that all 5.8mm diodes exceeds a little to be able to be in contact with the back. Else there is bad thermal conductance. I have more 5.6mm diodes to test with the loosy v6 module tonight.

GSS

Yes there is a bit of error because my diode can be loose on one module and snug on 4 other.
But it would be necessary that all 5.8mm diodes exceeds a little to be able to be in contact with the back. Else there is bad thermal conductance. I have more 5.6mm diodes to test with the loosy v6 module tonight.
Have you noticed differences of sizes in diodes with different WL's or manufacture.

I make you some picture soon.
I have some singlemode and multimode 5.6mm diode to test with.

Lasertack.com has been selling non-press square, or near square laser diode mounts for a long time now, they even have a copper version which is nickel plated, spendy though.

Best to have what you want on hand than to wait until you need it as Murphy's Law will see to it the one thing you need is out of stock if parts shopping at the last minute. ;)

Hello,

Did you test the new new DTR V6 "no-press" copper module for 5.6mm diode ?
Because they don't suit me:( I ordered 5 pack and a new Sharp GH04W10A2GC 350mW/1.1W(Pulse) 405nm diode for testing.

I was able to put the diode without forcing in a copper module, but there is a problem : the diode is thinner than the bore, so the copper back does not press on the diode! The 5.6mm diode can move in a closed module when I shake it!

I went back to the DTR website to buy v5 modules but they have disappeared, they look no more available !
I contacted Jordan and no response at this time. I can always see some v5 module on DTR eBay and Amazon shop... Jordan are you here ?

Thanks,
Pascal

That's unfortunate. I would have thought that the back half's would take up any slack as they are screwed into the module. I think I'll just stick to what I've always used.

That's unfortunate. I would have thought that the back half's would take up any slack as they are screwed into the module. I think I'll just stick to what I've always used.

Hi Paul,
Yes I will not use these either give me the V5's anyway , I dont mind pressing in or out my diodes. I hope he gets the V5's back on the website. I went on the other day to order 12 but no box to choose from. I just hope were not S..t out of luck with the V5's.
Rich:)

I can't imagine Jordan would discontinue those modules as they have been on his site since I got here. I would have to look elsewhere if he has.

Hi Paul,
Yes that sucks big time he had the good ones, The Chinese sellers have them but in that red copper need to see the composition of material that makes them up.
Rich:)

I agree. If there is no more V5 modules from DTR, then I will have to look hard to get something similar. The Chinese "copper" modules seem to be more brass than pure copper.