Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

5.6mm no press 12mm DTR modules

Hi LPF,
Tell me what is with the new no press 5.6mm / 12mm copper modules that DTR has on his site. No pics or info how they work for us.
Maybe im missing something , please clarify.
There are no drop downs boxes for the regular 5.6mm modules to purchase.
Rich:)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
This is the first that I've heard of them, I assume that they probably work as Red has stated, but it would be interesting to know the details.

Maybe DTR will make a explanatory thread on these new modules.

Hi gents,
Thanks a lot now I know im not the only one with questions pertaining with this thread. thats what makes this forum the bomb!!!
You guys are awesome Really.
Rich:)

Huh? I was unaware of these. Wonder if they have a back half to help with heat transfer.

Hi Paul,
Yes I was wondering how these work , there is no info stating that or pics either .Go to his site ,
rich:)

I expect you will want to use a solid back half with the pedestal to support rear heat extraction from the backing plate, I would not use a hollow back half with a friction fit module..............I see that the hollow back half option is missing from the drop down options so apparently Jordan has the same idea.
Looks like these are only in 12mm dia. and for 5.6 diodes ATM..........could there possibly be a new 5.6 diode ??? Likely wishful thinking but I would love to be surprised. :)

Snecho

I expect you will want to use a solid back half with the pedestal to support rear heat extraction from the backing plate, I would not use a hollow back half with a friction fit module..............I see that the hollow back half option is missing from the drop down options so apparently Jordan has the same idea.
Looks like these are only in 12mm dia. and for 5.6 diodes ATM..........could there possibly be a new 5.6 diode ??? Likely wishful thinking but I would love to be surprised. :)
Hopefully it's a 589nm diode :LOL:

Hopefully it's a 589nm diode :LOL:

You can hope but I wouldn't hold my breath, it was just a passing thought anyway, don't know if there's any new 5.6 diode associated with this V6 module or not, just a wishful thought.

Last edited:

Snecho

You can hope but I wouldn't hold my breath, it was just a passing thought anyway, don't know if there's any new 5.6 diode associated with this V6 module or not, just a wishful thought.
Obviously probably not. But maybe, just maybe, it's something new.

Hmmmm...Finally...offering a Friction Fit option !!! I have been modifying the very, very nice DTR modules....for a long time !!....Opening them up...just a bit to deliver the Friction Fit condition !!

Why...you say....well mainly for achieving excellent alignmemt conditions in Multi-Diode Combiner builds !!! In this type of build...it is critical that the beam axis is perpendicular to the Module outer diameter. There ARE times when a press fit does NOT acheive this condition...OK...So then....one must try to remove and re-press the LD !!! This procedure may or may not destroy the LD !!!

SO....OK...yes...One acheives a slightly better thermal transfer with a Press Fit...but...for me....Nope....I will accept a 5% reduction in Thermal transfer....for..Alignment of the Multi-Diode/Combiner builds is more than enough work...When the LD is in the correct juxtaposition !!!

And, of course...there is the advantage of being able to change out LD's !!

CDBeam

Yea...I did some very rudimentary calculation....and also used Artic Silver compound at the LD to socket interface !!! but then....A Combiner Build is a much greater demanding B1tch !!! ...But..... Well...we got Dr.I.Gore at the helm..!!! He's got NO problem with Press Fits !!! I DO !! CDBeam

MartyFeldman base with text.jpg

Just got a chance to look these up. They seem to come with a full or half size back half if you want it to help with heat sinking.

Well...I am glad DTR is now offering this option....I like it !!!

SO...If one has the room...or makes the room in a HH unit....I really like the Ultra Mount design ( See attached cartoon )....which uses the Good sized heat sink of his 20 mm module....combined with a base unit as shown. These base units are designed and machined by myself.
SO...you may ask... WHY the combined components ??? Well...In most of my HH Combiner units...C-Lenses are demanded to improve the beam divergence....SO...Radial Positioning IS critical....AND...The Ultramount provides for EZ Radial Positioning.
I have not checked....but does DTR offer the 20mm Mount @ Friction fit ??

Anyway....our hobby evolves....and thanx to suppliers as DTR....we can purchase these components, CNC precision machined....at a great price !!

CDBeam

Ultra LD Mount 29.JPG

Just got a chance to look these up. They seem to come with a full or half size back half if you want it to help with heat sinking.

Actually the hollow back half's are omitted from the options for this friction fit module as I mentioned in post #7 no doubt intentionally by Jordan, an impact such as dropping your laser on it's tail ( could possibly ) dislodge the diode without the solid back half w/ pedestal especially if a driver were attached to the diode pins.

I have not checked....but does DTR offer the 20mm Mount @ Friction fit ??

ATM I only see the 12mm and only for the 5.6mm diode offered in this form.

I have been wanting to try out a set of those Mirro Group 2X C-lens possibly on a PLTB450B to see if I can get a nice tight " squarish " beam and this module would be great for that.

Last edited: