Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

488nm Direct Diode 20mW CNI-PGL-III-C Custom Build

USAbro

Sorry to post on an old thread. But, why do you need a driver. If I make a laser from a mini mag and an old dvd burner do I need a driver or can I just solder wires direct to the diode?

3Pig

Sorry to post on an old thread. But, why do you need a driver. If I make a laser from a mini mag and an old dvd burner do I need a driver or can I just solder wires direct to the diode?

Trollscore: 0/10

Do you even think before you post? Not only that, but have you ever, EVER looked at threads on these forums before? If you are trolling then good job, but if you aren't...just wow.

ARG

I'mg answering this just because it'll come up in the future if someone (unlike yourself) uses the forum search to find the answer.

Simple answer:
Laser diodes are current driven devices. Batteries are voltage sources. To convert from voltage source to current source you need a driver.

USAbro

I'mg answering this just because it'll come up in the future if someone (unlike yourself) uses the forum search to find the answer.

Simple answer:
Laser diodes are current driven devices. Batteries are voltage sources. To convert from voltage source to current source you need a driver.

I appreciate someone kind enough to answer a noobs questions.

rhd

That's such an overlooked principle too. There's nothing more annoying than searching forums (or even just generally searching google on a topic you're not familiar with) and ending up on a forum where someone has asked a question improperly / in the wrong way, and you get no answer as a result.

damn thats an amazing diode and color for sure. how much does something like that cost?

3Pig

1364303142_reaction_to_price.gif

Sta

To put it simply, the diode has no protection. If the battery shorts out the diode will blow up and become a small and expensive paperweight.

Would setting the power to 24ma brought it down to about 4.9mw? Or is it exponential? I'm trying to get down to a safe level blue build. No one seems to have any build info for a safe level blue. I have scoured the boards looking for a Safe blue build.

rhd

Would setting the power to 24ma brought it down to about 4.9mw? Or is it exponential? I'm trying to get down to a safe level blue build. No one seems to have any build info for a safe level blue. I have scoured the boards looking for a Safe blue build.

Priorities. First, where did you get your 488nm diode?

Priorities. First, where did you get your 488nm diode?

Please do not divide by Zero. You destroy reality.

I was asking a question to learn. I do not have a 488nm diode. However if I chose to purchase another diode 445nm, 450nm, 473nm, it should have a similar chart on it should it not? http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/...ld/488nm diode quick/P7060103_zps07e073ed.jpg

On this picture it shows that 98.7ma should output 20mw.
Is the th = 44.2 the lasing threshold?
Thus my question, if the output is at 98.7=20mw, 20mw/4=5mw; dividing 98.7ma/4 = ~24.7ma

Now like I said I can't find info for Low Powered Blue <5mw in either 445/450/473
I did find info about PWM but everything I have read says it's pulsing at full power so that's bad. I found info about POT modding being bad also. So I'm at a loss.

I'd prefer an option to be able to have two power settings, but I require 5mw> for work. I'd also prefer a member to build it and meter it for me as I don't plan to build many and I don't want to buy an LPM. This is an issue because I don't have 20 posts yet and cannot post in the b/s/t. (which is understandable) If I end up building it I will be finding a verified member and sending it to them to have it metered. (I am a trainer, everyone has those green ones and red ones, and I don't want purple)

rhd

I was asking a question to learn. I do not have a 488nm diode. However if I chose to purchase another diode 445nm, 450nm, 473nm, it should have a similar chart on it should it not?

Nope, not necessarily. In fact, not even likely. Even within the same wavelength, different models have dramatically different curves. Here, you've replied to a thread about a wavelength and diode that is exceedingly rare, and very experimental. It's specs are irrelevant to your challenge (unless you're willing to shell out the several thousands of dollars that this specific diode costs).

You may have some luck posting in a thread about one of the lower power single mode 450s.

Nope, not necessarily. In fact, not even likely. Even within the same wavelength, different models have dramatically different curves. Here, you've replied to a thread about a wavelength and diode that is exceedingly rare, and very experimental. It's specs are irrelevant to your challenge (unless you're willing to shell out the several thousands of dollars that this specific diode costs).

You may have some luck posting in a thread about one of the lower power single mode 450s.

Thank you, have a wonderful day.

Last edited:

Absolutely true. Even the same model laser diodes but from a different batch can have different parameters like threshold and efficiency. Even within the same batch that can happen too.