Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

480.2nm Build

from hell

Hey guys, I managed to sneak a few pics of the 480.2nm before (what it seems like) my battery took a dive. But, I wanted to get a few pics out there before the full review I'll post hopefully this weekend.

I think that I actually managed to pick up the color fairly well. You never truly can get it perfect on monitors, but if you can picture this color a lot more saturated, you're in business.

If you try real hard and look, you can see the left side of the diode is lighter in the photo -- due to the phantom box that this diode suffers from (even from an acrylic lens)

But, it does have a very redeeming divergence. Spot at 30ft (9.1m)

Spot at 50ft (15.25m)

And without the ruler with the exposure set too long. It isn't as oblong and malformed as it looks. Looks much closer to what the ruler shows.

Full review coming this weekend

Last edited:

Re: 480.2 Build

Nice pictures! :)

For some reason that host resembles airport taxiway lights for a reason :crackup:

lg-1093697-0-6026.jpg

-Alex

That turned very nice, Zach. Where did you find that host? Yeah, I love the color of this diode. One needs to see it in person to appreciate it.

This is the host that my 465nm was in. It needs a new driver, I really banged up the pot on it. I also had a MS-SSW sitting around for a few years, so what I'm going to do is put the 465 in that, and keep this smaller one for the 480.

Badboybilly's host that I was originally going to use would take a 20mm module, and I do not have the skills or guts to try taking the 480 out of the 12mm module you pressed it into. So the 502 I bought goes into that one. No harm done.

And yeah. The color is fantastic. A shame monitors don't really show anything quite close with current tech. Mine are sRGB. I have a buddy with the adobe RGB spec, but I doubt that one will come close.
CIExy1931_AdobeRGB_vs_sRGB.png

Last edited:

Ha, I've got an extra MS-SSW-II host lying around too. Several other hosts as well.

The host you have its not impressive, :p you shod get rid of it send it too me for storage hehehe :D

Last edited:

BobMc

Very impressive ZRaffleticket; :gj:

That is one good looking beam! Gonna have to score me one of those diodes. Beautiful. :)

Ps, and don't listen to Alien, he doesn't know how to properly store that host, you should send it to me instead. :D

Funny thing on the host, it was at one point going to be a mock USA themed July 4th fireworks starter 445nm. Clearly didn't end that way.

And thanks for the feedback guys! These are the weaker pics of the bunch too. This weekend I'll have a lot more time to get more photos and get them processed right.

Last edited:
You're not going to believe this. I had a driver coming from DTR that went out on Saturday and was supposed to be delivered today. It has tracking and just fell off the grid on Saturday after leaving the post office. I had to wait on hold for the Postal government case management to get them looking for it. They are supposed to call me back by Friday to see if they can find it. It wasn't insured, so if it is gone, it's just my bad luck. I swear the USPS has been getting worse every year when it comes to getting my packages to me. I have no idea now when my driver for my 477nm diode will get here or if it ever will.

BobMc

You're not going to believe this. I had a driver coming from DTR that went out on Saturday and was supposed to be delivered today. It has tracking and just fell off the grid on Saturday after leaving the post office. I had to wait on hold for the Postal government case management to get them looking for it. They are supposed to call me back by Friday to see if they can find it. It wasn't insured, so if it is gone, it's just my bad luck. I swear the USPS has been getting worse every year when it comes to getting my packages to me. I have no idea now when my driver for my 477nm diode will get here or if it ever will.

Sorry to hear that Paul. Hopefully it will show up. All ready to build, when the parts don't show up. Oooch, major let down.

Last edited:
Sweet build Z! I'm super jelly of that host. Built mine into a hammond box with a doorbell for the fire button :p I love this diode. I'm gonna get some pics of my build up soon.

And Paul... What in the huh?! USPS has it out for you man. Best of luck.

DTR

from hell

Hey guys, I managed to sneak a few pics of the 480.2nm before (what it seems like) my battery took a dive. But, I wanted to get a few pics out there before the full review I'll post hopefully this weekend.

Great unit.:eg: NIce to see we actually are seeing one hit 480nm. What current is the diode being driven to get there?

They do that from time to time. USPS is definitely going down hill. They have always seemed to reappear at their own leisure though when it does that. Insurance from USPS is not economically viable from a business standpoint It is I would say hundreds maybe thousands of times less costly to self insure and since sellers are responsible for the package till it is marked delivered it does not make a difference to the buyer. I only see maybe one or two domestic packages actually go missing and never show back up out of thousands of package I ship a year and compare that to paying insurance on every package it is a no brainer. If it goes more than a week without reappearing let me know. I can send another out and we'll retrieve that one when it does decide to make an appearance.:beer:

Last edited: