Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

480.2nm Build

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Wow, that 480nm is a fantastic color, I sure wish all those diodes hit the near 480nm mark!
Nice build, can't wait to see more of your photos. :cool:

Radim

A very nice laser. Wavelength and host.

Just seeing the divergence I got approx. 0.3 mrad - full angle, really? That looks (too) incredible to me.

Isn't there "negative" divergence in deed? I mean that beam is focussed at some spot as shown on first photo. Therefore not collimated beam. Considering size of the dot at 30 ft, I cannot get around how such a thin beam (really like approx 0.3 mm at aperture?) can have such a low divergence, especially with diode laser due to optical cavity design.

Just it is pitty there is that square stuff from optics.

Whatever, I'm looking for your review. ;) :beer:

Rep+

You're not going to believe this. I had a driver coming from DTR that went out on Saturday and was supposed to be delivered today. It has tracking and just fell off the grid on Saturday after leaving the post office. I had to wait on hold for the Postal government case management to get them looking for it. They are supposed to call me back by Friday to see if they can find it. It wasn't insured, so if it is gone, it's just my bad luck. I swear the USPS has been getting worse every year when it comes to getting my packages to me. I have no idea now when my driver for my 477nm diode will get here or if it ever will.

Geez dude USPS is just having their way with you...

Great unit.:eg: NIce to see we actually are seeing one hit 480nm. What current is the diode being driven to get there?

I'm running it with the nano driver @275mA. And yes -- I'm very happy one is hitting where it's supposed to. 200mA was what it was tested at for that measurement, so it might be closer to 480.5

A very nice laser. Wavelength and host.

Just seeing the divergence I got approx. 0.3 mrad - full angle, really? That looks (too) incredible to me.

Isn't there "negative" divergence in deed? I mean that beam is focussed at some spot as shown on first photo. Therefore not collimated beam. Considering size of the dot at 30 ft, I cannot get around how such a thin beam (really like approx 0.3 mm at aperture?) can have such a low divergence, especially with diode laser due to optical cavity design.

Just it is pitty there is that square stuff from optics.

Whatever, I'm looking for your review. ;) :beer:

Rep+

Well in the first pic I just focused it for the sake of the pic. The one after that is more accurate to show the beam. It is almost exactly 5mm round at aperture.

Last edited:

Radim

Geez dude USPS is just having their way with you...

I'm running it with the nano driver @275mA. And yes -- I'm very happy one is hitting where it's supposed to.

Well in the first pic I just focused it for the sake of the pic. The one after that is more accurate to show the beam. It is almost exactly 5mm round at aperture.

Thanks, so the beam is focussed somehow on divergence pics. Could you possibly take the measurments when beam is collimated? I'm interested how good these diodes can do. :)

Well congratulations ZRaffleticket!

Did you intentionally put it in a larger host to give it infinite duty cycle? With it being such a gorgeous color I know if I had it I would not be able to turn it off :D.

Divergence pics are collimated at 30 and 50 feet. No smoke and mirrors involved - it's really that tight. It's only the first pic that had it focused, just for visual appeal.

This weekend I'll try to get some taken at a farther distance.

And @mattronium - yeah, the size did influence a bit.

Last edited:
Great unit.:eg: NIce to see we actually are seeing one hit 480nm. What current is the diode being driven to get there?

They do that from time to time. USPS is definitely going down hill. They have always seemed to reappear at their own leisure though when it does that. Insurance from USPS is not economically viable from a business standpoint It is I would say hundreds maybe thousands of times less costly to self insure and since sellers are responsible for the package till it is marked delivered it does not make a difference to the buyer. I only see maybe one or two domestic packages actually go missing and never show back up out of thousands of package I ship a year and compare that to paying insurance on every package it is a no brainer. If it goes more than a week without reappearing let me know. I can send another out and we'll retrieve that one when it does decide to make an appearance.:beer:

Thank you, Jordan. It has been frustrating, I'll give you that. I'll wait until Friday to see if it pops up again.

Hey, Zach. I don't suppose you've been able to figure out why the failure yet. I was wondering if you got another battery to substitute? Great photos.

Sadly no, I gave this battery to a coworker today to test out. I'll know if something is up with it tomorrow morning.

I don't remember charging it for a long time, so it may actually just be out of juice and not able to supply a boost circuit..? That would be funny

Well, it sure sounds like a battery problem to me. Could very well be at the limit of its discharge level.