Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

445nm Lens Comparisons!

Re: 445nm A130 Lens Comparisons!

Will you be selling some Jay, or should I talk to Len?

Will you be selling some Jay, or should I talk to Len?

Either way...

But yes, I do plan on selling them too.

I have 80 on order. But about 50 of them are already spoken for...

As of now, I'm asking $10 bucks each. But if the price from AixiZ later changes, then I will adjust. These first 80 will be $10 dollars per lens.

I will be checking to make sure my new Focus knob and EzFocus design (specifically for these lenses) will have the proper thread depth as well. See here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...ezfocus-adapter-aixiz-glass-lenses-51727.html

Jay,

Do you have a Merideth "wide spectrum" AR lens to compare? I just built a 445nm using a Merideth with the old red AR glass lens. I made an "estimate" of the potential output with the "wide spectrum", but do not have one on hand with which to test the output.

Peace,
dave

I don't have one any longer. I had one that I used to do comparisons for blu-ray and red, but sent it back to Meredith and traded it for the red ones when they used to have the 'optimized for red' lenses available...

Blu-ray and red comparisons:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/power-comparisons-different-lenses-red-blu-ray-33965.html

It wasn't as good with blu-ray as my 405-G-1 if that factors in.

But your right, it would be a good lens to test for these 445 diodes.

However, I do know that it is the same design (with different coating) as the normal Meredith. So you can check the beam profile with one of your Meredith's...

It is a short focus lens design, not as short as the 405-G-1...

It should show less 'splash' than the 405-G-1, but I doubt it will clip the length of the multimode 'line' shorter like the AixiZ lens does...

aixiz better hurry up with the 445 lenses... I'm getting impatient! They won't even ship until after the fourth :(

I don't have one any longer. I had one that I used to do comparisons for blu-ray and red, but sent it back to Meredith and traded it for the red ones when they used to have the 'optimized for red' lenses available...
Blu-ray and red comparisons:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f49/power-comparisons-different-lenses-red-blu-ray-33965.html
It wasn't as good with blu-ray as my 405-G-1 if that factors in.
But your right, it would be a good lens to test for these 445 diodes.
However, I do know that it is the same design (with different coating) as the normal Meredith. So you can check the beam profile with one of your Meredith's...
It is a short focus lens design, not as short as the 405-G-1...
It should show less 'splash' than the 405-G-1, but I doubt it will clip the length of the multimode 'line' shorter like the AixiZ lens does...

Yeah. The beam profile is pretty similar to the 405-G-1 lens. I was just hoping to be able to get a better estimate of how much the output would be increased with the broad-spectrum lens.

Peace,
dave

Update for all, AixiZ here. The lenses are expected to be ready today (have to test each and every one for proper element alignment and collimation). 1500 units will be in inventory. I really do apologize for the delay but we show that the new 400-460nm AR lens will be about 10-15% more efficient for this project versus the 405nm AR unit. Going forward, all our lenses will be full threaded.

... have to test each and every one for proper element alignment and collimation ... 1500 units ... the new 400-460nm AR lens will be about 10-15% more efficient ... all our lenses will be full threaded.
:topic:

Update for all, AixiZ here. The lenses are expected to be ready today (have to test each and every one for proper element alignment and collimation). 1500 units will be in inventory. I really do apologize for the delay but we show that the new 400-460nm AR lens will be about 10-15% more efficient for this project versus the 405nm AR unit. Going forward, all our lenses will be full threaded.

Thanks Chuck!

You guys better buy more! :) (1500 won't last...)

Buy heck, we have to actually construct these things from spec built parts, no joke.

AixiZ comes through again :D

Peace,
dave

Are you still using triplets, or single lenses ?

Triplets have a better result, for beam shaping, also if the power loss is a bit more high .....

Thank you for keeping us up to date, and for willing to work with us even when we swamped you guys for lenses!

Hey Jay I'd like 2 of these. PM me with you PP address if you still have any unspoken for.
lol at the tags.

Today I went to visit Humansymphony and check out his 445nm.. sure looks nice!

We tried my 405-g-1 lens and it strangely didn't screw in all the way. the dot remained too big and he said it came in contact with the diode. The only thing I could think of was that he might of had a sure module, but we compared it to my aixiz module and it was the same.. very strange..

Sounds like a Sure module...

The only way it can contact the diode, is if it goes past the point of focus, and then back out of focus again...

And then I'm still not sure it would actually contact the diode.

Sure modules look just like an AixiZ, but the threads are a little tighter. And sometimes not quite as far down either...
It's not a sure module and I DID screw the lens ALL THE WAY DOWN lol :p
The lens would simply not focus the laser at a distance for some reason.
It remained out of focus the whole time I was screwing it in.
When it did reach the bottom, it had a focal point extremely close to the lens like just few millimeters above the lens... quite odd.
I did not try it again for when I did screw it in all the way my diode actually dimmed out... I thought it killed it, but luckily it didn't :undecided:

Last edited:

It's not a sure module and I DID screw the lens ALL THE WAY DOWN lol :p
The lens would simply not focus the laser at a distance for some reason.
It remained out of focus the whole time I was screwing it in.
When it did reach the bottom, it had a focal point extremely close to the lens like just few millimeters above the lens... quite odd.
I did not try it again for when I did screw it in all the way my diode actually dimmed out... I thought it killed it, but luckily it didn't :undecided:

Ok, if there is no spring in the way, and the lens it threading all the way in so that the focus ring is touching the module, and it's still not getting focus, then I would say that the diode is not pressed flush...

You can experiment by taking the focus ring off if that it what is hitting the module, and not allowing focus. If it's a matter of just a turn or so, then the focus ring can be re-positioned using some medium strength thread lock...

Hey Jay I'd like 2 of these. PM me with you PP address if you still have any unspoken for.
lol at the tags.

First remember that these lenses stick out the front a little farther than others...

So you may also want one of my Custom Focus knobs that are custom fit for these lenses. See here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...ezfocus-adapter-aixiz-glass-lenses-51727.html

Last edited:

Back